Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I'm starting to think. This is half the price of an RGA8, right?

Well you'll need to upgrade pickups, tuners, nut and bridge. So in the end, is it really worth NOT getting an RGA8?

Then again, then you'll have a guitar that's a little better than the RGA8 for about the same price. And you'll still have to upgrade the pickups on the RGA8 which would bring the price to about $950 or higher. So then you're back to the RG8 being cheaper and closer to your perfect specs.

Alright, I set myself straight :D

This = better deal than an RGA8

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Don't know what to think yet.

Curious to see how these go. Seems way too low of a price to be very good.

We will see.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
hehehehe. Would be good for getting a cheap 8 neck to use with my T8M bridge and make a '67 RI-style Flying V8 that I'd like to do. Jeez, I could score one for cost. Hmmmm...

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
Well Ibanez, you're starting off on the right foot.
Would be pretty sweet to hear this with some Deactiv-8-ors

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Not an Ibanez fan but I would really like to get one of these. Perfect kit for a useable modified 8 string.
The scale length makes or breaks it for me and 27 is perfect!
So many body choices to make an awesome 8 string using this neck.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Found my Christmas present to myself. I could never justify buying the RGA8 just because a pickup swap is 100% necessary, so really you're buying an $800 guitar, plus whatever pickups you want, which start off at roughly $180. So this, with a set of D-Activators will be a great alternative.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn...If this is true count me in. I've only played an 8 string once and it was fun to mess around with but not totally for me. But since these are so cheap it would be ridiculous to pass up.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I really wonder about the quality of one of these this cheap. Like what kind of wood, fretwork, ect. Im sure IF theyre ok for the price it would be a good cheap option for people that cant afford higher end 8s, or even another option for the people that dont like the bridges on the other Ibanez 8s to add some nice stuff like a Hipshot bridge, locking tuners, and some good pickups.

Reaction score
I'm starting to think. This is half the price of an RGA8, right?

Well you'll need to upgrade pickups, tuners, nut and bridge. So in the end, is it really worth NOT getting an RGA8?

Then again, then you'll have a guitar that's a little better than the RGA8 for about the same price. And you'll still have to upgrade the pickups on the RGA8 which would bring the price to about $950 or higher. So then you're back to the RG8 being cheaper and closer to your perfect specs.

Alright, I set myself straight :D

This = better deal than an RGA8

This is what I was debating. All the upgrading on the RG8 versus upgrading only like one or two things on the RGA8. Cost beneficients, comparisons, etc.... Hmmmm....

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Why would they bother releasing a cheaper 8 string? The RGA8 is only like 600$, isn't it?

I'd be all for a j-custom/3000-series 8 string, myself.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Because Schecter is dominating the lower end of the 8 string spectrum. Had to get their buck, too.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Because Schecter is dominating the lower end of the 8 string spectrum. Had to get their buck, too.

I don't mind Schecter/Agile dominating the lower-end, as long as Ibanez dominates the higher end.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Why would they bother releasing a cheaper 8 string? The RGA8 is only like 600$, isn't it?

I'd be all for a j-custom/3000-series 8 string, myself.

The RGA8 is $800. This is half the price.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I don't mind Schecter/Agile dominating the lower-end, as long as Ibanez dominates the higher end.

But if they can do both, why shouldn't they? The 2228 is higher end than any Schecter 8, so they've already got that covered.

')