Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Got mine at my front door today.. Opened the box a couple hours ago and played it.. My god this guitar is awesome.. I was shocked to find that the stock pickups actually sound decent.. and I can almost say really good with cleans. Its got a great feel and it looks way better up close and personal than the pictures out there. I'm going to be buying some new pick ups eventually but, I think they'll get me by without irritating me for another month or so. I'd say this was worth the money. You get what you paid for plus a little more it feels like.. I could see them selling these for $500 no problem. I'll review more later, as I said before I've only played it for a couple hours and had to mess with the intonation a bit. However I do think I'll swap the strings very soon.. They are all very light gauged D'Addario's . The F# is way too light and the A string feels like a D string on a standard guitar, just does not feel right to me. That is my only complaint right off the bat, and of course the strings are no big deal to be concerned about.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Done... Ordering...

EDIT: Will have one next Tuesday... *If* the pickups don't work, I'm putting Laces in that biotch... And probably a bright red buckethead killswitch + pearl tuner heads... (Got it in white)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out what hardtail 7 I wanted. Then I started GASing for an 8. Then this came out. This is my hardtail 7+1...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Hey question for folks that already have one... I was looking at the pics on eBay... Is there a trapdoor on the TRC that lets you open the TRC w/o removing it? It looked like it on the pics, but it could be some kind of reflection...

$(KGrHqN,!ksFB1ZKFFFrBQoWSdREUg~~60_57.JPG

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
yes. That's a feature in the newer Ibanez guitars. My RGD7421 has it, as well as the ARZ307, RG7321... ect.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Is it crazy that I'm thinking about selling my RGA8 and spending the money on one of these fuckers and a shitload of mods?
:lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Depends... I sold my RGA8. I wasn't feeling the cutaway. But I have 27 frets on my main squeeze so that was kind of a deal breaker for me. :lol:

Oh... And I bought one of these... :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Interesting logic considering like one dude here has one... :lol:

In retrospect, though... A similar line of thinking drove me to purchase one myself.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I just reaally really like simple guitars.
The RGA8 has some nice stuff like double locking fixed-bridge n shit but I prefer my guitars as simple as possible.
Oh, and no worrying about a certain bridge-screw problem :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Well for me it was that (which never ended up being a problem) plus the fact that I didn't much care for the locking fixed bridge anyway... On top of that... Why does the cutaway have to suffer bc you arched the top? The 6 string RGAs don't seem to have this problem.

EDIT: Actually... To me the cutaways on the 6ers looks the same... Hmm...

But... For comparison...

RGA8_BK.jpg

RG2228_GK.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_1343658304901_A.jpg

Body seems to meet the neck later with the 2228 and looks similar on the RG8 so I'm on board FO SHO

Jarabowa

Reaction score
Done... Ordering...

EDIT: Will have one next Tuesday... *If* the pickups don't work, I'm putting Laces in that biotch... And probably a bright red buckethead killswitch + pearl tuner heads... (Got it in white)

Just so you know, I'm copying the shit out of all of these ideas when I get mine next week.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
:lol:

I saw Grand Moff Tim post a pic of his Buckethead sig and had to do it... :lol:

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Still no word about these things on the Ibanez homepage.
Thomann don't have 'em listed either.
I wonder for how much they'll sell here in Germany/Europe

Jarabowa

Reaction score
Also, to anyone who's already received theirs, how is the nut? Is it plastic? I can't imagine them using a Tusq nut on a guitar in this price range. I'm curious as to whether I should throw in an order for a blank slab while I'm waiting.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Still no word about these things on the Ibanez homepage.
Thomann don't have 'em listed either.
I wonder for how much they'll sell here in Germany/Europe

That's so weird. Random places seem to have them.

Musicians Friend
Zzounds
Same Day Music
AMS
and Amazon has them listed but they're "currently unavailable"

The fact that Ibanez wouldn't have them listed is weird, but you never know... Web developers... Blah

in-pursuit

Reaction score
this is basically exactly what I wanted the RGA8 to be, I really dislike carved top guitars super strat style guitars. I'll probably be getting one of these when they they're released in oz. I called the Australian Ibanez importer and they didnt have a clue about it, said if it's out now to call back in 6 months lol

')