Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cipe

Reaction score
nice pix, the frets look small-ish, they are listed as jumbo right? this is my main concern. i just want them big.

Thanks. They're jumbo. They look like the same size as the ones on my rg7321. Another thing I forgot to mention is that these frets were dressed well, the ones on my rg7321 are real sharp and kind of uncomfortable, but these are much more smooth. Not as well dressed as the ones on my js1200, but i wasn't expecting them to be.

geofreesun

Reaction score
cool to hear that! thanks! gassss!!!
Thanks. They're jumbo. They look like the same size as the ones on my rg7321. Another thing I forgot to mention is that these frets were dressed well, the ones on my rg7321 are real sharp and kind of uncomfortable, but these are much more smooth. Not as well dressed as the ones on my js1200, but i wasn't expecting them to be.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Fuck this, I'ma buy one as soon as they're available over here!

ILuvPillows

Baby seal will destr
Reaction score
I definitely wasn't expecting the titanium reinforcement. Very impressive, although now it seems that Ibanez are cannibalizing their own product (RGA8) with this release.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That's their problem. :lol:

Maybe it didn't do so well.

Or... Maybe they plan to upgrade the RGA8 somehow. I mean this isn't even on their site.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
Titanium reinforced truss rod on a 400 dollar guitar?...Fuck me.

I was already for sure getting one, and now I'm not really worried about condition at all...

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
This seems to turn into the definition of bang for the buck.

Love the fact that it has the KTS reinfocement and it even comes with a volute where the headstock joins the neck. I absolutely prefer that. For a price that low, I'm tempted to get one and go mod-crazy with it. Tusq nut, Hipshot bridge or at least saddles, pickguard, good tuners, maybe refinish, ...

Well done, Ibanez.

Reaction score
Just played one at my local shop. Probably the best production 8 you can buy for $400. I was quite blown away at the price compared to quality.

cipe

Reaction score
The pickups they used for this guitar are actually not bad. From what I remember of my 7321's stock pickups, these are way better. The other ones sounded like dogshit.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
I'm definitely wanting one of these as soon as I can justify another 8-string. :agreed: Kudos to all the lovely peeps giving us the deets on the features. :yesway:

Think the price will go up?

I'd be surprised if they didn't. I also think they'll release a variation with some form of quilted or flamed maple top for about $50 more. RG8FM, RG8QM? :shrug:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Dammit... Shoulda waited! :lol:

Fuck it... Simplicity for the win. This reminds me of a 7x21 w an extra string--exactly what I've wanted for a long ass time.

I'll ask this on mo' 'gain... How do folks feel ab that neck pup? I know I'll find out first hand soon enough but humor me. :D

Also @JPhoenix - How many 8s do you have?

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Dammit... Shoulda waited! :lol:

Fuck it... Simplicity for the win. This reminds me of a 7x21 w an extra string--exactly what I've wanted for a long ass time.

I'll ask this on mo' 'gain... How do folks feel ab that neck pup? I know I'll find out first hand soon enough but humor me. :D

Also @JPhoenix - How many 8s do you have?

None at the moment, but I've owned two in the past. I too have dreamed of an RG7x21 with an extra string so I nearly shat myself when I saw these. I decided to wait until after I had a nice main 7-string, though, so I got my RGD7421 instead. Perhaps around tax season I'll pick up an RG8.

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
Grab one of these in white and some sort of pickguard (possibly tortoise?) and throw a DA8 set in there, fuck yes. Would be so good.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Awesome, was thinking hard about getting a 2228 but damn, I could get one of these on a budget if it came to Europe! New pickups and few other little mods and I'm sure it'll be an absolute workhorse!

')