Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Estilo

Reaction score
How's the string spacing on these? From the photos in the NGD threads they seem really closely-spaced apart?

Manhell

Reaction score
Just got a reply from a Swedish music shop called Deluxe Music in Stockholm. They said they're getting the RG8 in jan/feb, and they're hoping for a price of about 5000 sek. That's $749 and only about 70 bucks less than what the RGA8 goes for...

I've been to sweden recently and went to every music store I could, they have very decent prices but you have to bare in mind that the SEK is a really strong currency and they have everything overall pricy because it's the way the country is, they earn well and live well, so do not make this an example, probably the RGA8 cost something like 7000/8000 SEK so don't use sweden as an example, it will probably be 400€ in europe ;)

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I hate to say this, but unless you guys are prepared to wait a long time and then pay more than everyone else, I don't know why you'd even bother trying to get this through an Australian retailer at this point. For a higher end guitar, sure... but for one of these I would just order from OS and have it shipped.

I am mightily tempted by the white one. Won't be happening for a while, but I think I need to start saving.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Well so far no US dealers are shipping to Australia that I've contacted, an the ibanez australia people got back to me about them hitting stores around feb.

Majkel

Reaction score
I've been to sweden recently and went to every music store I could, they have very decent prices but you have to bare in mind that the SEK is a really strong currency and they have everything overall pricy because it's the way the country is, they earn well and live well, so do not make this an example, probably the RGA8 cost something like 7000/8000 SEK so don't use sweden as an example, it will probably be 400€ in europe ;)

This is entirely correct. When comparing to thomann.de (which I think most Swedes do) you can always expect it to be about 1/3 more expensive locally. Shops have to make their commission, and stuff is just generally very expensive.

However, it seems a bit steep to double the dollar price of the guitar, and position it so very close the RGA8. From what I understand the RGA8 is meant to be mid-priced and the RG8 in the budget segment. Such a small price difference between models makes the both models kind of unattractive for their price point.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
Anyone from Australia who's been thinking about buying one of these guitars may be interested to know that a potential group buy is being organised with a thread in the Dealers and Group Buys sub-forum. if you know of anyone who may also be interested who is not a member of this forum tell them to get off their asses and register, this place is awesome :D or alternatively I might start up a facebook page for it. check the thread out anyway!!

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/dealers-group-buys/219857-australian-group-buy-ibanez-rg8.html

Majkel

Reaction score
Just got a second e-mail from the Swedish store:

"It's hard to say what it'll cost since the guitar doesn't exist on the european market yet. Also, keep in mind that if it costs $399 in America, that's equates to about $499 here considering we add 25% VAT in Sweden. A "street price" in Sweden will most likely be between 4000-4300 sek (~ €400) incl. vat"

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Well so far no US dealers are shipping to Australia that I've contacted, an the ibanez australia people got back to me about them hitting stores around feb.

Ah - fair enough then. I was looking around on the web earlier and saw them at Crazy Dave's (mentioned by others earlier the thread) and eBay. Both implied, but didn't exactly specify worldwide shipping. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there are restrictions in place.

I'm more than a little bummed that I'm not in a position to jump onboard with that group buy.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Ah - fair enough then. I was looking around on the web earlier and saw them at Crazy Dave's (mentioned by others earlier the thread) and eBay. Both implied, but didn't exactly specify worldwide shipping. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there are restrictions in place.

I'm more than a little bummed that I'm not in a position to jump onboard with that group buy.

Have you contacted Crazy Daves? When I went to make the payment, Ebay wouldnt allow it because shipping wasnt specified by the seller(Crazy Daves), and Ebay said to contact them. I shot them over an email and a couple of minutes later an Invoice was set up through Ebay which allowed me to make the purchase.

Some of their listenigs dont state they ship worldwide but if you contact them they will give you the shipping rates and if you want to purchase the guitar they will assist you with the steps needed to do so!

Great guys to deal with!

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I haven't contacted them - all I did was fill out a shipping info form to see if Australia was allowed in the form (it was), but it wasn't going to give me a shipping estimate until I went to the next step.

Pretty cool of them to find a way around their restrictions to help you out though!

in-pursuit - looking into the group buy thing now. That financing thing might be just the shot. I'm keeping an eye out for that fb page.

If I do end up getting one of these, I will talking to Mick Brierley (pickup maker in South Australia) about winding me some medium output passives. I have his pickups in two of my other guitars (a Tele and an Ibanez S320) and they are stellar. All I had to do was email him and tell him a bit about the guitar and what sound I was after and he nailed it with both guitars.

I'll also probably look into replacing some of the hardware and substituting a killswitch for the tone knob.

I'd also like to try my hand at refinishing it too.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
This is entirely correct. When comparing to thomann.de (which I think most Swedes do) you can always expect it to be about 1/3 more expensive locally. Shops have to make their commission, and stuff is just generally very expensive.

However, it seems a bit steep to double the dollar price of the guitar, and position it so very close the RGA8. From what I understand the RGA8 is meant to be mid-priced and the RG8 in the budget segment. Such a small price difference between models makes the both models kind of unattractive for their price point.

I'd be willing to bet the RGA8 costs more bc of the hardware. Feel wise they're almost identical.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I haven't contacted them - all I did was fill out a shipping info form to see if Australia was allowed in the form (it was), but it wasn't going to give me a shipping estimate until I went to the next step.

Pretty cool of them to find a way around their restrictions to help you out though!

Ah I see, well hopefully you can sort one out and it wont be too expensive! :yesway:

Manhell

Reaction score
Well I just got a RG2228GK in mint conditions for 800€, so I'm not going to try and get one RG8 now :lol:

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Maybe Ibanez is getting back to their roots of bang for your buck!

nightflameauto

Reaction score
a hardcase for a PBass.

rich

Thanks, I'll check it out.

The clips I'm hearing, sounds like the stock pickups are very similar to my Agile's stock pickups. I mean, different tonally, but about the same overall timber. Which is entirely acceptable to me for the time being.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Yea... They kind of sound to me like they're trying to mimic DiMarzios but don't quite get there... But they're close to the Cepheus pups in terms of sound quality I'd say. Some say the Cepheus pups are better but that might be a matter of said people preferring the voicing of the Cepheuses... :shrug:

')