Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
What string gauges are you guys using/gonna use? I'm feeling like the stock strings are a bit floppy, I'm in factory F standard tuning...

otisct20

Reaction score
I got to play one at guitar center tonight, and it felt and played better than any RGA8 I have ever played for some reason. The pickups are actually pretty darn good considering the price.

Reaction score
I got to play one at guitar center tonight, and it felt and played better than any RGA8 I have ever played for some reason. The pickups are actually pretty darn good considering the price.

I played a RG8 over the weekend for about an hour at Guitar Center. Honestly, I've previously owned a RGA8 and a RG2228 and the RG8 is actually a much nicer guitar than either one. It actually fixed two of my major issues with both of them. First off the neck seems thicker and much more rigid. No more flexing and effecting the pitch when you're playing standing up. Secondly the hipshot style bridge rules compared to the Edge III-8 bridge. Plus the addition of a larger ferrule on the back to accommodate a bass string is a nice touch. Pickups sounded fine to me as well. If you never had an 8 this is the guitar. Buy it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Well yea that's true, I just thought maybe it was easier on that one for some reason since he brought it up. I've never actually tried to flex one before.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
OK, I'm dead set on buying one of these in the next few weeks or so. A practical question for those that have them. What's a decent hard case that fits them? I'd assume there's a case available for them from Ibanez, but I'm not opposed to going off-brand so long as it fits. I don't do guitars without cases anymore.

Anybody have a recommendation?

ibby recommends...

RG1008C GTR CASE RG 8 STRING

RG1008C.jpg

remorse is for the dead

Reaction score
I was looking around on zz sounds on Sunday night and noticed they had a black rg8 ready to ship so i . quickly placed my order. Didn't think twice about it supposedly they were out of stock. I'll receive it on Friday

Jonisbrutal

Reaction score
I wish Ibanez had a better case for it. I can't stand those wooden/ vinyl cases. Try rip, and break over time. I love the nice plastic ones.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Just jumped onboard the RG8 train and got a white one! Literally the best $400 guitar I have every played, let alone the best $400 8 string guitar. Ibanez really hit the nail on the head on this one...I like it loads better than the RGA8

otisct20

Reaction score
This is honestly the first 8 string I truly enjoyed playing. (albeit I havent played many at all) Now to just get the money.......

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
I played a RG8 over the weekend for about an hour at Guitar Center. Honestly, I've previously owned a RGA8 and a RG2228 and the RG8 is actually a much nicer guitar than either one. It actually fixed two of my major issues with both of them. First off the neck seems thicker and much more rigid. No more flexing and effecting the pitch when you're playing standing up. Secondly the hipshot style bridge rules compared to the Edge III-8 bridge. Plus the addition of a larger ferrule on the back to accommodate a bass string is a nice touch. Pickups sounded fine to me as well. If you never had an 8 this is the guitar. Buy it.

This. I got one in at my store and bought it two days later. I've played both the RGA8 and the prestige model. This one felt way better than the RGA and it was string through too. To be honest, I too liked it better than the RG2228. Pickups are alright, actually better than the regular 808s we have in our LTD and Schecter models in the store. I'm probably getting a set of 808x's to put in place of them. I agree the neck feels a ton better too, it doesnt feel like an awkward plank.

')