Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Started reading through the various threads but then I got lazy. Are the stock pickups active? If so, what kind of battery do they use and where is it hidden?

How high output are the pickups? I'm more interested in PAF type levels than high gain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Passive, sir. :yesway:

I'm not experienced enough w different kinds of pups to answer your other question.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Oh that's sneaky, they look like actives and with model names like AH-18 and AH-28 I was assuming it meant Active Humbucker 1 and 2, 8-string.

The main thing for me is whether or not they have such high output that you get breakup on the clean channel. That always bugs me.

dwizted

7 Stringslinger
Reaction score
I just ordered one from Musicians friend in white. I used the Blackfri promo code for 15% off. When you first type the promo code in i didn't accept it. I chose live chat and the gave a code that works. I got it for 339.00 shipped. The only thing is its back ordered till Feb1st. But for that price I can wait. The black are available on Jan 1st.

Cant wait as I played one today at GC and is easily the most comfortable 8 i have played, only others I have played are Ibby 2228, schecter hellraiser, agile, esp, Carvin and dean.

AnarchyDivine88

Reaction score
We have them at the GC I work at. I thought the quality was pretty much what you would expect from something in that price bracket. But for an 8 string at that price I don't think you can do much better, especially if you swap out the pickups. But than again for $100 more you can get an Agile, which I think are a little better quality than the RG8, although the RG8 has a thinner neck. Apples and oranges, I guess. :shrug:

Edit: I guess if you use a coupon with the RG8 it would probably be the better deal. Or if there's no coupon at the time, just bust someone's balls about the price. :lol:

TerminalFunction

Reaction score
Just ordered a black one from Crazy Dave's! Already dispatched, now I just have to wait and see when Santa decides to come to Sweden...

ian14892

Reaction score
Hey guys

I just put the ernie ball 8 string slinky set on my rg8 and I'm not as happy with the action as I was when I first got the guitar. I thought they would take away some of the flubbyness of the low strings, but now all of my higher frets(from about 12 on) have pretty high action. I played with the bridge a little but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing there. Am I going to have to adjust the truss rod?

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
Hey guys

I just put the ernie ball 8 string slinky set on my rg8 and I'm not as happy with the action as I was when I first got the guitar. I thought they would take away some of the flubbyness of the low strings, but now all of my higher frets(from about 12 on) have pretty high action. I played with the bridge a little but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing there. Am I going to have to adjust the truss rod?

You should always do a set up when changing string gauges. I have a set of those Ernie Balls for mine once I was I get my pick ups to swap out. You will need to adjust the neck more than likely.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
thought id add this review & sound clip from one of my threads...

here is a test clip of the stock p/u's & stings my friend sent me after he set it up. btw-he is not a fan of them

https://soundcloud.com/m3chk1lla/rg8-stock-p-u-test-gino

also a bit of bad news on the guitar itself

Bigger strings would help the clarity. Did you get the pic of the neck pocket I sent? Took the neck off to check it and noticed the neck wood is so soft that it one of the holes was filled with extra wood chips so the screw would tighten.

:noplease:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
ok....good news. i talked to tim at crazy daves , explained the situation and he was very concerned and wanted to get it taken care of. they are sending me another guitar to replace it and they will deal with ibanez themselves. thought that was pretty stand-up of them to do.

its shipping out tomorrow, so i should still get it in time for Christmas. :hbang:
also he is gonna be have a tech look over the guitar before it ships out. if anyone else gets one, id suggest you request this also since weve had a few complaints already. im sure there will be more once the ones on order start arriving.

im gonna add this post to the other rg8 threads we got going and keep ya posted on how it turns out.

ian14892

Reaction score
It's funny how now that people are actually getting these, no one seems to be complaining about the non-matching headstock on the white one haha.

after some tweaking I'm starting to really enjoy my rg8!

Hopefully I get a deathbar/X-bar set from Santa!

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
yup...factory seconds. im sure the one im returning will show up as a blem too.
The links I posted are gone now but I see if you search eBay they still pop up. Nothing in the auction says they are B stocks. Either way for $325 who can complain about using it as a project platform even?

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
I was talking to **** and I was kinda (hinted) that Ibanez was taken by surprise by the demand for the RG8 and the can`t keep up with all the requests.
anyone else in the KNOW,confirm this rumor?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
The links I posted are gone now but I see if you search eBay they still pop up. Nothing in the auction says they are B stocks. Either way for $325 who can complain about using it as a project platform even?

here ya go...

The RG8 Electric Guitar brings Ibanez 8-String research and design to a price point that's hard to resist. It features all of the advantages of the Ibanez RG series including the famous slim, fast, and ultra-playable Wizard neck. Its basswood body has through-body stringing and a fixed bridge for maximum sustain while specially-designed Ibanez AH-18 and AH-28 humbucking pickups evenly reproduce all of the wide frequencies of which this 8-string is capable. If you've been on the lookout for a reliable and affordable 8-string, here it is. This guitar is sold as a factory second for a tiny finish blem on the back too small to photo.

says the same thing on both guitar links you posted.

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Bigger strings would help the clarity. Did you get the pic of the neck pocket I sent? Took the neck off to check it and noticed the neck wood is so soft that it one of the holes was filled with extra wood chips so the screw would tighten.
Mine too.

Removed the neck to add a shim and found two of these.
The factory seems to have taken a 1/2inch wide chips of mahogany and folded them into little tubes to replace 1/4inch dowel, pretty extreme cost-cutting /time saving practices going on.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Oh god, all this talk of returns and factory seconds, if I have to do any of what you're doing it'll be a nightmare for me, I'm buying from england...

')