Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
I still can't make my mind up whether to buy one. Does anyone know how much of an improvement this is over an RG7321 (which I'd probably sell if I got this)?

I have an RG7321 at the minute too, My guess is it will be of similar quality. Once I get the 8 I can come back with a more detailed response, but I'm sure a few of the NGD threads for em have had people showing them next to their own 7321's so may be worth asking in those.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

isispelican

Reaction score
im about to order, can somebody tell me if these come with a case and a strap? thanks

8stringer

Bass-String-Slapper
Reaction score
Pros and cons between RG8 and Schecter Omen 8?
The Ibby will probably have a thinner neck, right?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The neck on the RG8 is REALLY thin to my hands. I've always been a fan of Ibanez's sword-like necks. :lol:

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Ibanez's sword-like necks. :lol:

My brain can't help but make that filthier than it needs to be :lol:

Also, Apparently we are getting em here in Europe till April, my order has been updated to reflect this, so that is a massive poo face.

Gram negative

Christopher Horton
Reaction score
I still can't make my mind up whether to buy one. Does anyone know how much of an improvement this is over an RG7321 (which I'd probably sell if I got this)?

I would say it is high comparable to a 7321. However, the pickups are much better out of the box. Like the 7321, the RG8 is bare bones, no frills. If it were in a grocery store, it would be in a plain white box, with black letters on it, reading "8 string guitar". Like generic cereal.

That being said, I love it. Its fun to play, and has inspired me to play 8 strings exclusively. I only wish these existed back when i was in high school. It has opened up alot of new ideas for songs that I never had on a 6 or 7 string.

So, if you can get past the no frills design....

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
:drool: :drool: :drool:

I-I just saw they made a lefty version of the RG8.....anybody got one of these??!!!

Gotta get one *now* before it goes the damn way of the 7321L/7420L....

Jonisbrutal

Reaction score
I had an omen-8 a while back. The neck felt fat, but flat. BUT, the square heal was very sharp feeling. I always found myself slamming my hand into it when going for a lead. Also there wasn't enough room on the lower horn to fit my hand either. Very cramped & uncomfortable. Almost felt like they cut a bigger neck pocket into a six string body. I don't recommend the omen-8 to anyone really. But that's just my opinion.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Also, Apparently we are getting em here in Europe till April, my order has been updated to reflect this, so that is a massive poo face.

Even your Thomann order for the white one? So if I ordered one now I won't see it till April?

Bummer

I would say it is high comparable to a 7321. However, the pickups are much better out of the box. Like the 7321, the RG8 is bare bones, no frills. If it were in a grocery store, it would be in a plain white box, with black letters on it, reading "8 string guitar". Like generic cereal.

That being said, I love it. Its fun to play, and has inspired me to play 8 strings exclusively. I only wish these existed back when i was in high school. It has opened up alot of new ideas for songs that I never had on a 6 or 7 string.

So, if you can get past the no frills design....

That's a really great post - thanks for the information. I'm sure it's more because I'm not very good at playing but I find the RG7321 pickups to be extremely sensitive. I have to use a hair band around the nut or else even a slight nudge of a string will be picked up when playing - that and I have to make huge use of a noisegate when recording. It's good that the RG8 has much better pickups because from my newbie experience of guitars, the RG7321's biggest flaws are it's tone, rest of the guitar seems really nice.

Perhaps if the RG8 isn't going to be out in Europe for a while I should get some better pickups for my RG7321.

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
Even your Thomann order for the white one? So if I ordered one now I won't see it till April?

Bummer

Yep, it is le poop face.

On Thomman's website it says the shipment is due 1st April, which matches up with most other sites. It's crappy but we just have to wait.

As for 7321 pups, yeah I found them awful, I replaced my bridge pup with a D-sonic (Bar facing the bridge) and it was like a new guitar. If you really want an 8 string it's only 2 months to wait, not that long. If not, definately look at upgrading the stock pups on your RG7321

Phalanx

Reaction score
Yep, it is le poop face.

On Thomman's website it says the shipment is due 1st April, which matches up with most other sites. It's crappy but we just have to wait.

As for 7321 pups, yeah I found them awful, I replaced my bridge pup with a D-sonic (Bar facing the bridge) and it was like a new guitar. If you really want an 8 string it's only 2 months to wait, not that long. If not, definately look at upgrading the stock pups on your RG7321

Thanks for the heads-up. I still would like an 8 string and considering how awesome the RG8 seems to be, I'm more than prepared to wait for its release in April.

Might still look into pickups for my RG7321 in the mean time.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
Man, I'm GASing for one of these. I told myself no more black guitars, but I'd probably even take the black one at this point. :scream:

rekab

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. I still would like an 8 string and considering how awesome the RG8 seems to be, I'm more than prepared to wait for its release in April.

Might still look into pickups for my RG7321 in the mean time.

I've got an older model (before the Gibraltar bridge) 7321 and I like it better than my RG8. The neck on the 8 is super thin and is quite comfortable from the very moment I picked it up. On the other hand I'm struggling to get reasonably low action on the 8 without loads of buzz. Also I've got dimarzios in my 7321 so the tone slays the rg8 stock pickups. I will agree that the rg8 pickups are better than the rg7321 were but still no match to a good aftermarket pair.
Overall the rg8 is good for the price but I personally wouldn't leave my other guitars just yet.

missingastring

What's a guitar?
Reaction score
Just swapped out the bridge pickup on mine for an Agile Cepheus pickup. Surprisingly good.

I was looking at the markings on the back of the stocker. The code on the pickup is EVL 35B-5STR-R

Did they just outfit this guitar with some of their existing bass pickups? Not a surprise, given the price point, but interesting.

AKopp

Reaction score
Just bought one on a whim at Guitar Center. Plays really nice, but went home to restring it and the nut fell off as soon as the the last string came off.. It's a shame, but it's going back tomorrow. I usually only buy high end stuff for my studio but figured, why not get a budget 8 string to play around with? Oh well...

missingastring

What's a guitar?
Reaction score
Dude, just put a single drop of superglue on the bottom of the nut and restring it. Nuts aren't super cemented on in the first place.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Dude, just put a single drop of superglue on the bottom of the nut and restring it. Nuts aren't super cemented on in the first place.

This. The nut coming loose is definitely not something to be returning the guitar over. I've seen it happen on high end instruments too - it's almost a non-issue.

One drop of glue and it's sorted. :agreed:

AKopp

Reaction score
Yeah I did that and restrung it. I'm not a fan of how the nut sits on it though. Ugly gaps, nothing is flush. I took off the excess glue as well, everything was clean.... I'm not happy with it, so therefore I'm taking it back.

Latest posts

')