Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xrandolphx

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that has been killing me with Ibanez products over the past 6 years. Ive been playing Ibanez guitars for 15 years, and have bought/sold more Ibanez guitars than my wife wants to remember. Anyone recall when you were able to buy a Prestige RG1527 for $699? 2005 was a good year and a guitar of that caliber was really true bang for the buck. That was a great instrument (one I shouldn't have let go). Point being, I know times are different, and like with all things we're paying more and getting less.

My concern is for all the guys on here getting that fluttering heart seeing a 400 price tag and gassing to drop hundreds of dollars on pickups and mods. I'm not in anyway judging, because I myself have gotten the jitters customizing a few guitars, and putting out way too much, only to sell them for a fraction of what I put into them. I'd suggest if you're going to take a chance on an 8 string, especially from one of these online dealers, take advantage of the return policy. Play it (don't abuse it) and make a "love it or leave it decision from there. Even if you take a little hit on a possible restocking fee or return shipping, beats being stuck with a $400 "why did I bother with this" or even more if you tear it apart and mod it. I can only imagine how many will be on ebay or CL after the holidays ("wanted to try an 8 but not really my thing")

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk or some preaching nut, but the way things have come to be, there is seemingly NO resale value left. and I feel bad for people trying to make a return or even break even on their investments. Ex: Seen a RGD2127z with Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups on eBay a few months back. I'm sure the guy paid 1600 for the guitar, 400 or so for the pickups and installation, then all the eBay fees. Think he sold it for 1200, probably only took home 1000 all said and done. Point being, modding this guitar will get you about 100, so just be careful. Sound like I've done this a few times? A few more times than I care to remember.

If Ibanez wanted to do a budget type model, why not just keep the basic design, materials, hardware and deal with EMG or Seymour Duncan for the pickups on this project. Charge $550-650, throw in a gig bag and at least make you feel like you got something ready to play and be happy with. Don't make something that's forced to be modded out of the box. I am not naive though, I know this is typical,but just a thought.

I was just googling these new RG8's and I came across this, so please don't mind if I still get into it this far into the thread.
@ectoshock: I had the same problem with an RG2077XL Prestige model I bought when they came out. I just started playing in my first serious band and I saved all of my money for this beautiful 7 string. After about 2 years of 7 string bliss we added another guitarist, created a new sound and I switched back to a 6 string Tele. I think I paid about 1200 for the guitar and I managed to sell it for 750, which was a good deal, because my local guitar shop guy told me he would give no more than 600 for it; he just couldn't get rid of all the Ibis he had and he explained to me that Ibanez guitars' value just diminishes so rapidly after they're bought, no matter which series you buy. I told myself from that day that I would never buy another Ibanez, EXCEPT!!! for when I wanna try an ER guitar again and, if necessary, modify a few things so it goes from good to pretty great on a budget. Ibanez just makes good ER guitars; I reckon the necks on these cheaper models are smooth as butter too and for that price tag, I'd definitely bother getting some new pickups in. I think people on a budget would be happy they can get their hands on a good instrument at such a reasonable price anyway and won't mind adding some stuff to it over time.

I just wonder how you bought and sold all those Ibanez guitars for all these years without at some point considering they might not be worth buying in the first place (except if you'd plan on either modifying them to your needs or, moreover, just be satisfied with them)??? :scratch:

Just my $0,02

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Something I didn't account for when looking at these - the scale length does wonders for the clean sounds. It really has that SNAP and sustain. Definitely doesn't have the warmth of something like a les paul, but I could see using this guitar for almost all of my clean tones on demos and my own stuff. Just a really great level of clarity and sparkle that I'm not used to, even with the stock pups. You just have to dial in a little more top end to get the "sheen."

If I'm honest I was on the fence when I took it home but the longer I own it the more I understand why people love this layout. Coupled with a good six string you have an incredibly wide range of sounds and pitches available...you can do almost anything! Its really liberating.

Also is it acceptable to make a NGD thread? I feel like it'd be obnoxious with the sheer number of these things kicking around.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Where is this complaining about resale value coming from? I have seen resale value go WAY up on most guitars in the past few years.

It used to be that you would ballpark ~50% of the new price for a used guitar as a good deal. Now people are asking 90+% of new pricing on stuff and complaining when they have to sell it for "only" 75% of new price.

Want cash back from your mods? Then sell them separately and put the stock parts back on for resale. It's not rocket science. Hell, an RG8 might actually be worth more on ebay if you part out the entire thing.

Cjanz

The riffs, man.
Reaction score
Just got mine! The factory strings are absolutely garbage, but I've still enjoyed playing it so far. I've got some Circle K .10-.86s on the way, so I'm stoked about that.

I think I'll be putting the Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo in eventually, but this is guitar is going to be a lot of fun.

theFraz

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm about to buy a used RG8 but I don't get which wood is used for the body:
the official site says mahogany, zzsounds basswood , my question is:
there are different versions of this guitar?
or zzsounds made a mistake and exists only in mahogany?

mr coffee

Reaction score
Theoretically, the RG8 is basswood and the RG8004 is mahogany.

-m

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
It's my understanding that, for 2015, they've started making the RG8 and opaque RG7421s/7420's out of Mahogany.

theFraz

Reaction score
ok so according to the serial number is from December 2012, and it must be basswood.
thank you all!

EchelonXIII

Reaction score
I might pick one of these up in the next year...just to try noodeling with 8's.
I've got enough with sevens at the moment though. But the price seems like kinda attractive!

')