Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
For real, deep down I wished that Ibanez would come out with an 8-string without that damn Edge III bridge. The bridge choice means I can put graphtec saddles on it- hell, you could put a ghost system and have piezo/midi if you're really feeling froggy. Not to mention that for $400 I can bend it like Tosin (not really).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
For real, deep down I wished that Ibanez would come out with an 8-string without that damn Edge III bridge. The bridge choice means I can put graphtec saddles on it- hell, you could put a ghost system and have piezo/midi if you're really feeling froggy. Not to mention that for $400 I can bend it like Tosin (not really).

This one doesn't have the fixed trem-styled bridge..

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Did a crappy mockup of what I plan on doing with one of these :)

hahaha102.jpg

And this to the lower horn.

2479032838_9115e1da8b_o.jpg

chromaticdeath

Arpeggio Fom Hell
Reaction score
I'm having so much trouble getting my RGA8 right with the D'activater pickup swap right, i'm starting to with i forked out the extra for the RG2228GW presteige......

Khoi

Reaction score
if this is true, I will probably pick one up!

Definitely in white, and the pickups will probably need a swappin too... just sad to see them have actives.

The EMG 808s in my Schecter Damien Elite 8 weren't so bad for an 8-string though..

Reaction score
Hey Eric, could you elaborate on what you mean by flex? :scratch:

The neck is so thin that it has very little lateral strength and rigidity. So when your right arm is stabilized against the body and you're fretting individual notes and bar chords with your left hand there is a noticeable pitch change, typically higher. Especially when you put a lot of pressure down as you usually would because the strings are so thick. Its not just me either, several friends played them both and said the same thing. Lighter strings and a lighter touch helps though.

Brohoodofsteel75

Reaction score
The neck is so thin that it has very little lateral strength and rigidity. So when your right arm is stabilized against the body and you're fretting individual notes and bar chords with your left hand there is a noticeable pitch change, typically higher. Especially when you put a lot of pressure down as you usually would because the strings are so thick. Its not just me either, several friends played them both and said the same thing. Lighter strings and a lighter touch helps though.

Thanks, I see what you mean. It makes sense too. Those necks are really thin. Luckily for me, I have the lightest touch and I love light strings!:lol:

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Ibanez 8 string necks are reinforced with titanium rods (at least the RG2228 ; the US homepage says the RGA8 has them, too, the European doesn't mention it though). I've never experienced the neck of my RGA8 bending.
I doubt the RG8 will have those, though.

')