Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

madcansoul

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the black one and might get it tomorrow or thursday, bought it from 8thstreet. I'm pretty stoked since it's not available in Canada and that usually online US dealers don't ship Ibanez products to Canada...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
this is basically exactly what I wanted the RGA8 to be, I really dislike carved top guitars super strat style guitars. I'll probably be getting one of these when they they're released in oz. I called the Australian Ibanez importer and they didnt have a clue about it, said if it's out now to call back in 6 months lol

Same w my local music shop. They had to "research" whether they could get it. They took almost a week to get back to me just to say, "What's the full model name? We need more info..."

Two days later it's in the mail. :lol:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
this is basically exactly what I wanted the RGA8 to be, I really dislike carved top guitars super strat style guitars. I'll probably be getting one of these when they they're released in oz. I called the Australian Ibanez importer and they didnt have a clue about it, said if it's out now to call back in 6 months lol

Yeah I wrote on their fb wall and they said that was ye first they had ever heard of it, they said they messaged around about it and would get back to me when they hear back, but that was almost a week ago now :(

I want one.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
After playing my RG8 a little more I decided I'm very happy with my decision in buying it. This guitar exceeded my expectations. After playing it for the last 4 hours it seemed to stay in tune relatively well, although, It would sound and play much better with a 74 gauge on the 8th string. I think the neck is great, it's one of the slimmest guitar necks i've ever played. For sure built for accuracy and speed. So if you're into rounded chunky necks than you might not like this neck. However, dont get me wrong this neck is wide, but it's pretty comfortable to play! My first time playing an 8 string and I gotta say my wrist is a little bit sore lol. The cut-away on this guitar is perfect. You can easily access all the high notes past the 12th fret. Another good think I like about this guitar is the output jack, it seems really heavy duty and it's kinda tucked inside the guitars body so it seems like it will be very hard for it to get bumped or loose. The nut is about 1/8th of an inch (give or take) in thickness; seems to be pretty decent, not too cheap looking. It gets the job done. The tuning pegs seems to be decent, I got a white one so I like the black contrast with the white body, although a lot of you disagree and wish the head stock was white. I like it black. Kinda makes the guitar pop. As I mentioned before the pick ups are decent surprisingly, but most will still change them anyways. The stock pups sound good with clean tone in the neck pup. For high gain, the only decent one is the 1st selection on the bridge pickup, the rest sound kinda beefy and a bit muddy, but I haven't really messed with the pick up tone knob/ amp settings to see if I can get a better tone with high gain. The other pick up selections sound good with clean tone I think. If you want to know anything else just ask.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
Yeah I wrote on their fb wall and they said that was ye first they had ever heard of it, they said they messaged around about it and would get back to me when they hear back, but that was almost a week ago now :(

I want one.

yeah me too man, I'm gonna hit them up again this week or maybe next if I don't get time today. I'll let you know if I hear something before you :shrug:

cipe

Reaction score
I'm even more excited to get mine tomorrow after reading polt's initial experience

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
So let's talk pickguards... Availability? If so, HELLOOOO DiMarzio!

DA8s are calling me...

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
So let's talk pickguards... Availability? If so, HELLOOOO DiMarzio!

This. So. Much. Fucking. This. Now I only have one question...White guitar with blue pickguard? Black guitar with white pickguard? White with black?...AAAAHHHH...so many choices...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I was gonna go for pearl or white on white and put white tuning peg heads on it with white DA8s if available. :-D

But again... Availability?

Jarabowa

Reaction score
This. So. Much. Fucking. This. Now I only have one question...White guitar with blue pickguard? Black guitar with white pickguard? White with black?...AAAAHHHH...so many choices...

Red tortoise shell on a white one maybe? I'm tempted to cut one out from a blank on one of the CNC mills at my work just to see how it would look when mine comes in. Although at that point I'm just aping Tosin's last LACS a bit too much :lol:

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
After playing my RG8 a little more I decided I'm very happy with my decision in buying it. This guitar exceeded my expectations. After playing it for the last 4 hours it seemed to stay in tune relatively well, although, It would sound and play much better with a 74 gauge on the 8th string. I think the neck is great, it's one of the slimmest guitar necks i've ever played. For sure built for accuracy and speed. So if you're into rounded chunky necks than you might not like this neck. However, dont get me wrong this neck is wide, but it's pretty comfortable to play! My first time playing an 8 string and I gotta say my wrist is a little bit sore lol. The cut-away on this guitar is perfect. You can easily access all the high notes past the 12th fret. Another good think I like about this guitar is the output jack, it seems really heavy duty and it's kinda tucked inside the guitars body so it seems like it will be very hard for it to get bumped or loose. The nut is about 1/8th of an inch (give or take) in thickness; seems to be pretty decent, not too cheap looking. It gets the job done. The tuning pegs seems to be decent, I got a white one so I like the black contrast with the white body, although a lot of you disagree and wish the head stock was white. I like it black. Kinda makes the guitar pop. As I mentioned before the pick ups are decent surprisingly, but most will still change them anyways. The stock pups sound good with clean tone in the neck pup. For high gain, the only decent one is the 1st selection on the bridge pickup, the rest sound kinda beefy and a bit muddy, but I haven't really messed with the pick up tone knob/ amp settings to see if I can get a better tone with high gain. The other pick up selections sound good with clean tone I think. If you want to know anything else just ask.

How are the frets?
Any buzzing??

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Red tortoise shell on a white one maybe? I'm tempted to cut one out from a blank on one of the CNC mills at my work just to see how it would look when mine comes in. Although at that point I'm just aping Tosin's last LACS a bit too much :lol:

Ooh! Make me one! :wavey:

cipe

Reaction score
My rg8 just showed up and it's definitely exceeded my expectations i was expecting it to be like my rg7321 which absolutely needed new pickups from the get go. This one has a very usable bridge pickup i think. Sounds nice with my mark iv. Oh and this does have the titanium truss rod, which was a nice surprise. Here are some pictures for you guys.

8206070519_ddc2f104c0_b.jpg

8206067479_17642faca6_b.jpg

8206068143_763d1e63b6_b.jpg

8206066625_939a1828c8_b.jpg

8206069493_f3847126af_b.jpg

8206065775_e27c5f25f1_b.jpg

8207161304_86e509e51e_b.jpg

Here's the nut detail, i forgot to upload it originally

8207159482_778577acf3_b.jpg

geofreesun

Reaction score
nice pix, the frets look small-ish, they are listed as jumbo right? this is my main concern. i just want them big.

Kroaton

Reaction score
Any love for european users? I haven't found any for sale in europe yet.

')