Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

ILuvPillows

Baby seal will destr
Reaction score
I think the pricing reflects Ibanez's intention: to monopolies the market. The reason why the 2228 was quite expensive (even for a prestige) was possibly due to the 'limited' (for Ibanez standards) number of them made, effectively testing the waters. Now it's clear that there is a growing market for 8 strings (that ESP, Schecter and Dean are trying to compete for).
Due to the size of Ibanez they can afford to make many, many of these RG8's (benefiting from economy of size), sell them at a great price with some respectable specs (Titanium reinforcement). Cutting their profit margin on each RG8 sold, but making up for it in the quantity that are sold. Something that was probably not the business plan behind the original 2228/A8. Resulting in an Ibanez dominated market (for a time).

...that's why I dont think that the price will increase. At least not from Ibanez.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Barebones Ibanez have always been good guitars for their budget, even Gios aren't bad (they actually crush pretty much all their price bracket). I don't have an 8 and might be tempted, for that price, yes.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
To all you EU folks:

Just talked to someone at Ibanez/Meinl and the RG8 is going to be available in black in early 2013, with a price point around 400€. The white one might be available later in 2013.

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
shitsøn;3282541 said:
To all you EU folks:

Just talked to someone at Ibanez/Meinl and the RG8 is going to be available in black in early 2013, with a price point around 400€. The white one might be available later in 2013.
Really? That seems a little on the cheap side. A $400 guitar would usually be £400 in the UK, so if we can buy it from say Thomann at 400€ that is more like £320/£330 at current exchange rates.

I owned an Agile Interceptor 828 previously and couldn't deal with the beastly neck which put me off 8's but I would love a shot at an Ibby 8. If they are going to come in just over £300 that is not far off 'well if I save for a few months I could buy this no' territory! Must be the white model though!

Ayo7e

ralugeR gro.ss
Reaction score
shitsøn;3282541 said:
To all you EU folks:

Thanks! finally some info.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to white for the white...:lol:

Poltergeist

Reaction score
How are the frets?
Any buzzing??

Only a minimal amount of fret buzzing on the 8th string due to the light gauge factory strings. I'd recommend purchasing a thicker gauge right from the get-go . If you're like me, you'll swap out all the strings, because I thought they were too light. I honestly think Ernie Ball's 8 string set feels great on this guitar. A lot of people complained about them but I think they're perfect. As for the frets they could eventually use a bit of a file-down, however, when I first received my guitar, the string height was already set up and it was comfortable to play. only a small amount of adjusting in the intonation was needed.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
If anyone REALLY wants an RG8 right now I just talked to someone at Musiciansfriend and if you add it to your cart and use GE289040 as the code it's $60 cheaper. So...RG8 for 339.99...GO!

Idk if this is only valid for me or if it's only good for one purchase or not but yeah. Worst comes to worst just give them a call or use their online chat to get a code.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg8-8-string-electric-guitar/h88559000002000

Reaction score
The pickups they used for this guitar are actually not bad. From what I remember of my 7321's stock pickups, these are way better. The other ones sounded like dogshit.

Yeah, dude. I only wanted to play it acoustically and my boy tossed me a cable and I was very surprised. They're actually super punchy and crisp for Ibanez pickups. I don't know if they're the same pickups used in the RGA8 but the RGA8 sounded like total ass stock compared to this. If these are the same pickups, it might have been the mahogany. I'm guessing they aren't the same though.

FinnBehemoth

Riffery Index
Reaction score
shitsøn;3282541 said:
To all you EU folks:

Thank god! This will be my next guitar!

Koloss85

The Doomslayer
Reaction score
I'm with everyone else. Though I'm a little tired of the superstrat shape, I definitely don't have the $ for a .strandberg or an oni. Now, I'm just a lowly bedroom musician and at $400, its a steal. But, I'm poor, so I have to sell one of my guitars first.
I'll also be modding the shit out of it. Hipshot bridge or saddles, Hipshot grip locking tuners, tusq nut, carbon fiber pickguard, maybe a different neck altogether? Also, I'll be trying out my leftover emg 808's with the 18v mod. If they don't cut it, I'll try a covered lundgren m8 and a lace xbar (or q tuner 2.0 if they ever come out).
Of course all a work in progress and not all at once. Piece by piece; still cheaper than going custom and can an amazing work horse that's completely tailored to you! That's the plan anyway.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
Guys here's another coupon code for $60 off.

GT289042

I just got it from a rep.

If it doesn't work, it means somebody already used it.

To get a new one, start a live chat or call them, and tell them it doesn't work, if they ask whether you already used it, just say no.

Koloss85

The Doomslayer
Reaction score
anyone like me hope that with the increasing popularity of 8's that ibanez put out an 8 string version of the rga121? It would be amazing! Or should I not hold my breath?
Even though we all love ergs, its easy to forget that ergs are still a very small, niche market.
But, a man can dream can't he?

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
If anyone REALLY wants an RG8 right now I just talked to someone at Musiciansfriend and if you add it to your cart and use GE289040 as the code it's $60 cheaper. So...RG8 for 339.99...GO!

Idk if this is only valid for me or if it's only good for one purchase or not but yeah. Worst comes to worst just give them a call or use their online chat to get a code.

Ibanez RG8 8-String Electric Guitar White | Musician's Friend

Dude, you have just given the WORST case of G.A.S. after seeing this. Seriously trying to fight the urge to dip into my Axe FX fund now. :wallbash:

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
No word on a Canadian release yet? Here's hoping, it looks like my 7621 has a slightly chubbier sibling waiting to be purchased soon!

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Well, I was waiting for possible Black Friday promos and the Musician's Friend promo sealed the deal for me.

White version incoming. Now to find someone to cut a nice Red Tortoiseshell pickguard...

mØrtiis

Reaction score
No word on a Canadian release yet? Here's hoping, it looks like my 7621 has a slightly chubbier sibling waiting to be purchased soon!

Hi all, first post here. Just wanted to drop a line and thank you all for the insane amount of information i found on this forum!! Also, for all fellow canadians, you may want to check 8thstreet music for the RG8. It's the only online retailer i found that would ship the guitar to a canadian adress. Shipping is around 40 bucks and there's a 18% off promotion so you can get the axe for 330$!!

Thanks again everyone!

Kroaton

Reaction score
I've sent Musiciansfriend an email asking about international shipping on this. I advise other international members to do the same.

mØrtiis

Reaction score
I've sent Musiciansfriend an email asking about international shipping on this. I advise other international members to do the same.

Hey Kroaton,

Nice move but if i may add i once made an order with MF and i had to pay around 75$ for my guitar to be delivered. The problem was that i also had to pay an additionnal 100$ to the UPS delivery guy for customs... so just be aware that you may have to pay customs fees on top of standard shipping cost. It was clearly explained on the order form i just didn't know it was going to be that expensive... anyway, thats my story :wavey:

Zehailiu

Reaction score
See if you can get them to ship by USPS, usually you don't get the choice, but if you can, it'll save you a lot of brokerage fees from UPS.

')