Ibanez RG8. New Budget 8-string.

MikeK

Reaction score
After playing mine quite a bit since I got it yesterday, the only mods I see needed would be tuners, which are pretty weak feeling, and pickups eventually. The stock pups actually sound pretty nice through my HD500, 100 times better than I expected since Ibby pups are usually trash. I think the bridge feels great, as does the neck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kroaton

Reaction score
Yeah , nobody ships to the EU , I've sent emails , called , begged , blew some guy under a bridge.Apparently Ibanez has restricted this one to the US and Canada. Sad face.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
finally got a white one on the way...

..should be here sometime between the 26th & 30th. so stoked!

alphie

Reaction score
If anybody finds a store, which ships these to Europe. Let us know! I want one too! :hbang:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Last edited:

TerminalFunction

Reaction score

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
when you fellow Europeans will get one, let me know the final cost with taxes and all that crap included. Thanks!

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I wonder if those saddles are the same size as those on the RG7321.
If so I'd replace them with those graphtech string saver saddles :yesway:

Poltergeist

Reaction score
After playing mine for a couple days, I decided I'm going to take this guitar to my guitar tech and have him hone the frets down. Does anyone else think that the frets on their RG8 are just a bit too large? Especially on the first few frets. When you fret the 8th and 7th strings the string really sinks down between the frets. I've never had an 8 string before so I don't know if this is normal. Also, i do want to say that the bridge pickup is decent, and it actually has an over all good low end output. However, I do want to change the pick ups, but I dont want to choose anything that will take away from that low end. Because I watched a youtube video and a guy put in EMG 808X in the bridge and it had a great sound but it didn't have as much low end output compared to the stock pick ups.. I'm afraid of this happening... Anyone recommend a pick up that won't take away the low end tone? Those who have their's, after playing it, have you decided what pickups would be best for this guitar?
Also for this being a new guitar, do any of you experienced technicians out there recommend any adjustment to the truss rod with it being a new guitar?

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
When I used 808x's, they didn't seem to take away from the low end.

Also, do you have the stock strings on it? If they are indeed 9's then they'd bend more when you fret as opposed to a thicker string.

MikeK

Reaction score
Try some thicker strings. I was actually thinking the frets were a bit small for my liking. They dont seem as big as my 7 I built, which has jumbo's. As far as the 808X goes, Ive never noticed a loss of low end from them. Even so, it wouldnt be anything some eq work cant handle.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
mØrtiis;3282959 said:
Hi all, first post here. Just wanted to drop a line and thank you all for the insane amount of information i found on this forum!! Also, for all fellow canadians, you may want to check 8thstreet music for the RG8. It's the only online retailer i found that would ship the guitar to a canadian adress. Shipping is around 40 bucks and there's a 18% off promotion so you can get the axe for 330$!!

Thanks again everyone!

well, looks like I'm going to have to check this out. would also like to say in general that this new RG8 has effectively killed my 8 string build as there's no way I could make one and have it be better than this. one of the major issues that led me to want to build an 8 string were eliminated with the use of a string through body fixed bridge on this model. and while ibanez probably produces "clunkers", any issues that I've seen on low end RG's tend to be fit and finish flaws that are cosmetic and don't affect any function on the guitar

and is there anybody that's happened to make a quick and dirty recording on this new guitar yet? curious as to what this guitar's voice sounds like. been hearing in this thread that the stocks on this RG8 have potential to avoid the same issues that plauge the INF's and axis pickups that are found on the MII ibanezes

Poltergeist

Reaction score
When I used 808x's, they didn't seem to take away from the low end.

Also, do you have the stock strings on it? If they are indeed 9's then they'd bend more when you fret as opposed to a thicker string.

Try some thicker strings. I was actually thinking the frets were a bit small for my liking. They dont seem as big as my 7 I built, which has jumbo's. As far as the 808X goes, Ive never noticed a loss of low end from them. Even so, it wouldnt be anything some eq work cant handle.

Yes, I do still have the stock strings on them. I order a couple EB 8 string packs on the net the other day. Still waiting on them. I'm sure this will remedy the issues I may be having with the frets. I appreciate both of your responses about the 808x's . I'm a fan of EMG and I was thinking of getting them for this guitar. I guess one bad review made me skeptical. I just never actually played them, so its good to hear first hand response from those who have already played them. I'll just wait till my strings arrive. Thanks guys.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
I would say the 808x is more balanced through the spectrum, so someone might percieve less low end only because they're hearing more clarity. They are my favorite active pickup, and if I do get an RG8 the 808x will be at the top of the list of pickups to put in it.

BTW, has anyone looked at the electronics of these RG8's? I'd like to know if you can drop a push-pull pot and coil tap/split the stock pickups.

mØrtiis

Reaction score
Well i just got an email from 8thstreet music telling me that the Ibanez cannot be shipped to a Canadian adress... Very sad! Do any of you guys know an online retailer that will ship to Canada?? I've tried Ebay.ca but it's a 200$ shipping cost...

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I wonder if those saddles are the same size as those on the RG7321.
If so I'd replace them with those graphtech string saver saddles :yesway:

I have a feeling they will be the Import sized saddles. I think I have two 6 string import sets that I can put together to replace the stock saddles.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
I'm buying one soon within the next week to 2 weeks. I'm picking up D Activators and putting it straight in as i don't want to struggle with the stock pickups.

Expect a epic NGD from me! \m/

')