Ibanez rg8 with 80 gauge strings

Gallifreyan Djentalman

just some jackoff
Reaction score
So im fairly new to extended range guitars. I recently bought an ibanez rg8 and found out that80 gauge strings wont fit the tuning peg. Im trying to get to drop A# (great for Egyptian and arabic scales) with the 7th at F and 8th at D# an octive down. Any practical and/or inexpensive ways to solve this???
:hbang: :scream: :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Take some pliers and carefully unwrap the end of the string so that you can just put the core through the tuner.

DXL

Reaction score
Never tried it myself but it seems the go to would be drilling the hole bigger, but someone needs to confirm this because I actually have no idea

Action

Reaction score
to "drill" normal tuners... unscrew and remove the tuning machine from the guitar's headstock. holding the tuner in your hand, slowly, gently and evenly enlarge the string hole in the peg, using a needle file and a spinning motion. have a string or a small piece of a string on hand, and file a little at a time until it fits. it's hard to mess up.

Lasik124

Reaction score
I drilled my tuning peg my first string change due to the 75 not fitting.

This was my first time doing this, It's much easier then you think! It came out great :agreed:

blacai

Reaction score
I had this problem but I solved using the ernie ball #2624. They are shorter than other brands. For example Schecter uses these for all the 8s with a .80 gauge.

They have the second braid shorter and it the first one fits into the tuners.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
You can also file the hole in the tuning peg, rather than drilling. Drilling may offer easier precision, though.

Fraz666

Reaction score
It's very easy to drill if you have a drill bit of the right diameter

mr coffee

Reaction score
When I set up my RG8, the nut required some attention as well - there was no way an 80 was going to sit in the existing slot.

-m