Ibanez RG9 Available

• Thread starter StinkyPat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stg

Reaction score
The fan allows for a long bass string and a short treble string.

Bass strings benefit from long scales, it increases clarity as shown in the clip in this thread of a 27 vs a 29.4 inch scales http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...ignature-lotsa-pics-tone-comparison-clip.html through reduced inharmonicity - the degree to which the frequencies of overtones are out of tune from the fundamental. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/10064-string-gauges-inharmonicity.html For a low F#1, a 30 inch scale will have 32% better harmonic content and 15% more tension than 28 inch scale guitar. This extra harmonic content results in a brighter clearer sound, but the brightness is not can't really be dialed in with a EQ, It's different kinda like a blurry photo, there's really not a way to bring it back into focus after the fact.

Also, there is a limit as to how long a scale can be for the high strings, too long and the string will break before it gets to the desired pitch, somewhere around 31.7 to 33.7 inches for high E4. Also, the high strings are harder to get full step bends as the scale length increases. A multiscale can be easier to play bar chords on with the shorter treble side too. some also like the sound of a shorter treble string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

turenkodenis

Reaction score
taken from After The Burial's facebook, I'm sure most of you have seen it though. I guess they use them live already. me jelly.

Another one
YwFkJ2WlnxA.jpg

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Any sample of them using the 9 strings? I don't really know much of After the Burial, but I'm curious to listen.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I wonder what their bassist thinks about this?
+1000
Even 8 strings are already an overkill if you downtune them.

Plus I really think that from 8 strings upwards, guitars should be fanned to reduce the downsides to a minimum.

I still think 9ers should have an high A instead of a low C#.

Mind you, I love the concept of extending the range and the challenge of extended instruments.
I like how it makes the guitarist mindset evolve and break boundaries, still, in the economy of the sound of a band I still prefer the clean sound of a talented bass player (on a fretless perhaps, since we're talking about high technical stuff) than an high gain chugga chugga.
Personal preference, nothing more.

But I would love me a 9 anyway ^___^

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I wonder what their bassist thinks about this?

Probably the same thing bassists think in any other situation where there's more than one instrument using the same range, like orchestras or any band with a piano/keyboardist.

Which is to say... nothing.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Probably the same thing bassists think in any other situation where there's more than one instrument using the same range, like orchestras or any band with a piano/keyboardist.

Which is to say... nothing.
Pretty much not...since in your example those musicians take advantage of natural acoustic volume and dynamics and not amplifiers and distortion.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Pretty much not...since in your example those musicians take advantage of natural acoustic volume and dynamics and not amplifiers and distortion.

Yeah? Prog rock bands with keyboardists take advantage of natural acoustic volume and dynamics, not amplifiers and distortion?

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Yeah? Prog rock bands with keyboardists take advantage of natural acoustic volume and dynamics, not amplifiers and distortion?
Sorry, missed the prog rock part, my bad...still PROG ROCK bands rarely use more than 7...and it's a stretch already.

Again, as a guitarist I totally support extending the range upward and downwards but, the concept that the BROOTZ and heavyness is in the low ends of an 8 stringer is a misconception.
The economy of brutal sound is not in going lower and lower in tune with the gitarz.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Sorry, missed the prog rock part, my bad...still PROG ROCK bands rarely use more than 7...and it's a stretch already.

The number of strings the guitarists in prog bands use doesn't really relate to the point I was making. I was pointing out that, though people worry about the guitarist moving down into a range normally occupied by bass, bands have had keyboards in them for years, and keyboards occupy the range of guitars AND basses. They never seem to have any problem making it work.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Timbre...

Look that shit up.

I don't know if you're backing me or not, but that's quite the point.
Grand, you're putting piano/guitar in the same level as bass guitar/regular guitar

Piano is an instrument that (sorry for my convoluted Engrish) outputs the sound of a percussed string through the biggest armonic chamber of all instruments
Guitar and bass guitar are instruments that outputs the sound of a strung string through an acoustic chamber or an electronic device.

In my VERY little recording experience I learnt that the frequencies of bass guitars and regular guitars "fight" to cover each other a lot.
That's why you have to tone down the gain if the bass guitar is played clean.
Guitars "eat" keyboard and piano frequencies too, but less.
Again, this is awkward for me to say in English and I'm not a sound engineer.
But in the end what I want to say is that overlapping the frequencies of instrument is good if you want a wall of sound, but is a problem if you want to make the different instruments personalities stand up.

Obviously it's up to the players/bands but I prefer to be able to listen each instrument and not go the Justice For All route

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Nothing is stopping the bass player from also going lower, or, as many bands have done, playing in the same octave.

Just because they're playing the same notes in the same archive does not necessarily mean they will be fighting for frequencies. A bass, with a longer scale and thicker strings will likely target lower frequencies, where the guitar, with a shorter scale and thinner strings will be targeting the midrange/treble area. I think this is what guitarfreak13387 means by 'timbre' being different between a guitar and bass.

Listen to alot of Meshuggah stuff, if you're using quality speakers, you can quite clearly hear the difference between the guitar and the bass, even though they're both being played in the same octave.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I think all this worry about the guitar and bass occupying the same area of the staff is unnecessary. In a recording the bass and guitars are panned differently and eq'd differently to separate them. And there are plenty of successful recordings/bands that show basses can play way high and guitars can play way low, overlapping each other, and still work. And actually sound great. Ned's Atomic Dustbin in the '90s used two basses and a guitar - one up high and one down low, plus the normal guitar range. The Cure used to use piccolo basses routinely, which were right in the guitar range. Jeremy from Pearl Jam was recorded with a 12 string bass, meaning that it was the equivalent of a regular bass and two piccolo basses playing each note - and it doesn't interfere with the guitars. And there are plenty of recordings of two guitars doing different things, and sounding awesome, so a guitar and bass occupying the same range could easily sound as good.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I just listened to the After the Burial song.

I have mixed feelings about the C# tuning. The song itself sounds good but I don't really dig the tone and I think that going that low makes it lose some of the punch that it could have in a higher register. But it doesn't mean that I'm against 9 strings, because I'm not. It's just that, I would prefer them used in other ways. This song just sounds like it's being played in a distorted bass, but it could be due to the production, not the tuning or the guitar itself.

vansinn

Reaction score
Nothing is stopping the bass player from also going lower, or, as many bands have done, playing in the same octave.

^ :agreed: Lenny was a guitar player before he switched to the 4-string Rickenbacker..
And how many times do we see the bass player fiddling halfways up the neck - whats he doing up there? get down where the bass belongs!

What a lame joke.. point is that virtually any instrument may be extended and used in various registers; it's merely a matter or the application and abilities of the composers frontal lobe.

I'd love me a nine stringer - but only if I can tune high and still bend the top string fairly smoothly ;)
Very cool seeing Number Nine making it to some main stream manufacturers :agreed:

')