Ibanez RG9 Available

• Thread starter StinkyPat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
and why the price is so high compared to the RG8 and RG7421 wich mainly have the same features?

Smaller production numbers, I assume. They'll have to charge more to compensate for selling fewer, and for the costs of developing/tooling new parts like the bridge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
Smaller production numbers, I assume. They'll have to charge more to compensate for selling fewer, and for the costs of developing/tooling new parts like the bridge.

I believe it comes with a hardshell case as well. The RG8 and RG74xx did not that I know of.

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
@ Grand_Moff_Tim, i guess is more on the side of smaller production numbers, thanks.

@Metal-Box, at least a case included for that price.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Also probably that there is very little choice for 9 string players, so they can get away with charging more. It's not like there are more than a few choices. Granted, there are only a few 9 string players... :lol:

Reaction score
I would imagine the pickups to be poor, but not a bad starting price for a 9 string ibanez.

i am assuming they will be releasing prestige/j custom ones after they see how these sell?

would they have an rg2229? do you think?

Reaction score
SIMPSONS DID IT!!!!!!!!

preview.jpg

Thank you . now that is looking much more appetizing. thanks for the post, and for showing me that :) totally much better than ibanez's

schecter truly is the metal guitar company, i am starting to warm up to them, after being a real ibanez fan for so long

this makes it difficult, now i dont know between a used rg2228, a new c8fr or the one here!!!!

thank you, i added points to your reputation for being so kind thanks

Reaction score
Also, does anyone have any reviews on thsi schecter, or at least the emg 909, are they nice? or are they as horrible as the 808?

Reaction score
I'm very likely gunna pick one up. I'd love to say I'd go for the prestige but it's toooo damn much for what I'd use it for.

I just want to be able to this song live without down-tuning my 8 which is how I originally recorded it. I'd just have it my usual EBEBEGBE with the low C hanging out down the bottom for when I need it. I'd probably go for a 106 from CK.

I've no other music written for 9 and I have a funky baritone hybrid coming from strandberg soon so I'll base all my future use of that sort of range around what the berg can do I think. I like the results I've had so far.

Rook, very nice video, you are a very good user of the ERG. Thanks for sharing this.

Now may i please ask you, do you really find the need for that low string, or do you think an 8 string is enough, and i ask because I want to buy the ERG very soon, and i cant choose between the 3 ive mentioned....also have you tried the emg 909"? and do you like it?

thanks rook :)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd use a 9 because for that particular thing I posted I change tuning part way through, having another string hanging around not doing much makes that redundant.

Do I need the range? I dunno, as it happens, in that particular song I just posted I use both the low C and the 24th fret on the high E so arguably that's using an extended range for it's 'intended purpose' but at the end of the day intended purposes are a load of crap. If you like the sound, idea, look, hell even the smell of a guitar with out of the ordinary specs, you shouldn't not buy it just because of it's 'intended purpose' and how that correlates with your intended use.

Also, the pickups on the RG9 were surprisingly good. Literally speaking, I was *surprised* by how good they were hahaha.

Reaction score
its not so much about the intent im worried about, its more like "does the feel of it lend itself to more options creatively, or has it now become too cumbersome or uncomfortable to handle despite the extension of range, or is it actually even useful at all?" that's really my main issue Rook. practicality, comfort, and utility....thanks

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
its not so much about the intent im worried about, its more like "does the feel of it lend itself to more options creatively, or has it now become too cumbersome or uncomfortable to handle despite the extension of range, or is it actually even useful at all?" that's really my main issue Rook. practicality, comfort, and utility....thanks

It's the same notes as you already had on every guitar you've ever touched, did you find those 12 notes useful to begin with? Of course you did. The extended range of a 7/8/9 means you have some extra semitones lower to work with, that's all.

InVinoVeritasXXX

Reaction score
It's the same notes as you already had on evey guitar you've ever touched, did you find those 12 notes useful to begin with? Of course you did. The extended range of a 7/8/9 means you have some extra semitones lower to work with, that's all.
That's kind of oversimplifying it. Going from a six to a seven might just get you a few steps, but going from a six to a nine gets you an octave plus, and the appeal of the extra strings is pretty much why this forum exists. Different guitars for different music. A C# on a six-string sounds way more different than a C# on a nine-string. I think we can all agree on that. I don't think I'll ever get a nine-string because my hands are kinda narrow and the scale length would be too intense, but I like After the Burial's new album, so I can see the merits of tuning so low.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
There's no way I would end up playing a 9 string 30" scale guitar live especially. I would rather either buy that SR Crossover bass and tune it down and track leads on a 7 string or buy the M80M and tune it down.

trayenshreds

sweep tapz brah
Reaction score
I want this... I just don't understand where there wouldn't be a Prestige model with better pickup options? Guess I'll be content with 8 for now. On second thought, maybe they wanted this guitar to be at an accessible pricing tier to get a better judgement of the potential 9 string market. hmm..:nuts:

8StringX

Reaction score
I want this... I just don't understand where there wouldn't be a Prestige model with better pickup options? Guess I'll be content with 8 for now. On second thought, maybe they wanted this guitar to be at an accessible pricing tier to get a better judgement of the potential 9 string market. hmm..:nuts:

They are. Their releasing the $800 RG9 and a Prestige RG90BK with Bare Knuckle "Canine" pickups.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I reaaaally want to get one of these, but I'm going to resist. I just need a 30" low end scale for C#1 with a .090", and I don't want 30" on the high side. I feel pretty confident that at some point someone will do a production fanned 9. Hopefully, anyway.

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
I reaaaally want to get one of these, but I'm going to resist. I just need a 30" low end scale for C#1 with a .090", and I don't want 30" on the high side. I feel pretty confident that at some point someone will do a production fanned 9. Hopefully, anyway.

im waiting for this too...i just played my friends agile with a 30 inch scale and i hated that the high side was so ....ing long. it really needs to be fanned

Reaction score
I read also many times that a 9 string should be fanned, and that even an 8 might lend help to a fanned. Why? What does a fan do? How can it improve playing?

Latest posts

')