Ibanez RG9. Worth it? (Opinions/Pickup swap options etc).

• Thread starter BigHandy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigHandy

Reaction score
Hello!

I haven't seen an RG9 thread yet, so I decided to make one to fullfill my curiosity.:rolleyes: Is this a good option to a 9 string? I guess (as it's an entry level guitar like the RG8) the stock pickups should've sound better, is there any clues/options for swapping them out for a better 9 string pickup? And if the answer is yes, then how hard/tricky is to change them? Are those Ibanez stock pickups in different mount than other companies pickups, and does it need additional carving/mounting in some special way?

Thank you for the answers!:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AJS

Reaction score
Better option would be the Schecter Damien-Platinum 9. Comes stock with EMG 909s and a 30 inch scale, vs. Ibanez's 28 inch scale. And it's ironically cheaper than the RG9

BigHandy

Reaction score
Better option would be the Schecter Damien-Platinum 9. Comes stock with EMG 909s and a 30 inch scale, vs. Ibanez's 28 inch scale. And it's ironically cheaper than the RG9

I was thinking over the Schecter C-9 as well, but I'm still complaining about that some said Schecters have some kind of "fake" or "plastic" sound:scratch: compared to Ibanez or others. And the videos I saw on the internet didn't convince me about that if i could get that massive 'Djentish' sound from it (imagine things like palm muting, riffages on the lower strings etc...). And the neck on the Schecters also not as fast/easy and thin as on the Ibanez. If there would be 9 string Banshee with Ultra Thin neck and SD pickups (like they have it on their 8 string versions) I would better consider the Schecter option...

Any experience that how does the C-9 perform in Djent style tones?

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
Better option would be the Schecter Damien-Platinum 9. Comes stock with EMG 909s and a 30 inch scale, vs. Ibanez's 28 inch scale.

The scale length is THE issue(afaic) with extended range guitars.
I like my RGA8, but I would've loved it if the scale length was long
enough to eliminate the intonation/inharmonicity issues.
Glad I finally ordered an M80M.

SilentCartographer

Creator as Observer
Reaction score
Plus the Damien has better aesthetic appeal I would say.. although looks like it weighs on the heavy side, compared to the RG9.

Dana

Reaction score
buy a 6, tune it to E flat, then make it sound heavy.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
buy a 6, tune it to E flat, then make it sound heavy.

Wasn't aware a downtuned 6 string has the range of a 9.

Anyway, the main issue with the RG9 is the scale length. 28 just doesn't cut it for that C#.

ohoolahan

Reaction score
ew....9 strings? hm....does it worth it? depends on what you do with the 9th string. for binary stuff its waaaaaayyy too much...and useless... but if you got skill and use the full range of the 9 strings...

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
ew....9 strings? hm....does it worth it? depends on what you do with the 9th string. for binary stuff its waaaaaayyy too much...and useless... but if you got skill and use the full range of the 9 strings...

You can do binary on a 6 string as well. Why the hell do people care whether people only play 1 string?

If people dig that kinda' crap, let them do it. You can make a great song on one string, while you can make shitty boring songs using all strings on a 10 string.

ohoolahan

Reaction score
I missunderstood your thread. Thought you wanted opinions on 9 string in generell. Sorry for that.

Dana

Reaction score
How about 26 strings.
A 9 doesn't have the range of a 26 man......

BigHandy

Reaction score
For those who missunderstand: yess, I'm planning to use all the 9 strings not just the chugga-chugga stuff. I would say I would like to play more of a prog-djentish sounding music, with lots of chords, harmonics and leads included...:cool:

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
Are you in the US? What about Agile's stuff? Septor elite 930 (30" scale, EMG 909s) is $700 before shipping.

UnstableinLINY

Reaction score
Neck thickness of the schecter and ibanez are identical. 20mm at the 1st and 22mm at the 12th. Only difference is D vs C shape on the neck. The schecter is a baseball bat just isnt true anymore. I see no real advantage going rg9 or c9 unless u plan to swap out pickups or have a preference in active vs passive.

BigHandy

Reaction score
Are you in the US? What about Agile's stuff? Septor elite 930 (30" scale, EMG 909s) is $700 before shipping.

I live in the EU, so unfortune.:squint:

Neck thickness of the schecter and ibanez are identical. 20mm at the 1st and 22mm at the 12th. Only difference is D vs C shape on the neck. The schecter is a baseball bat just isnt true anymore. I see no real advantage going rg9 or c9 unless u plan to swap out pickups or have a preference in active vs passive.

As far as I know the the RG9 has passive pickups... Or did I missunderstood something?

ohoolahan

Reaction score
Hm...in that case: I owned two RG8. They were pretty solid, so I think a RG9 would be a good way to go! And yes, the 2 QM-9 Humbucker are passive...

Reaction score
Yep, it's passive, while Schecter is active ;)
If you want I can ask some questions to my frined about RG9, he tried this guitar. Let me know if you want my help.

AnP Hardcore

Reaction score
As far as pickups swap goes, you don't have much of a choice. Either you route your guitar for actives like EMG 909 or you have to go custom. Bareknuckle make a model called the Canine which is a 9 string that's stock with the RG90BKP (the prestige version of the RG9) or you can contact some small pickups builders and see if they'll make a 9 string pickup :wavey: