Ibanez RGA121 or EBMM JP?

Gallardo147

Reaction score
Hey friends, I know this isn't a super fair comparison but more of a "what would you go with?" I am looking to get another 6 string and I found an RGA121 with bareknuckle pickups installed as well as an EBMM JP12. They are both in really good condition, both have a similar dark cherry color, and both are at solid prices but the JP is still like ~$700 more. I mostly play prog rock/metal but enjoy a little bit of versatility. What would you go with? I own a JPXI-7 and I love it, but I've never owned a 6 string JP or an RGA121 (just heard awesome things about it). Would you consider anything else? My max is around $1600 and the JP is right below that but I'm also willing to look at other guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Don't pay $1000 for the rga121.

The used prices on these right now are insane. Idk what sellers ater thinking right now...

What are your requirements other than versatility?

Gallardo147

Reaction score
Don't pay $1000 for the rga121.

The used prices on these right now are insane. Idk what sellers ater thinking right now...

What are your requirements other than versatility?

The one I saw was $800 with Aftermaths but idk what to gauge it against or if it’s worth that? My basic requirements are low action, fixed bridge preferred but def no Floyd rose, passive pickups. I’m also super open on brand, Ive thought about PRS, Fender, etc. I was considering a Suhr but those are def out of my price range.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Even 800 is steap unless is actually dead mint. Look into the new 652s from Ibanez. In your price range and meet all your requirements. I have one and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Gallardo147

Reaction score
Even 800 is steap unless is actually dead mint. Look into the new 652s from Ibanez. In your price range and meet all your requirements. I have one and would buy another in a heartbeat.

For sure will check it out! Any idea how would it hold up against the JP?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
For sure will check it out! Any idea how would it hold up against the JP?

2 totally different guitars and price leagues.

Save yourself some money and get a 652. If you can't one find one new or used you like you have issues :lol: jk

Enter Paradox

Reaction score
I've had a JPX7 and three RGA121s in the recent years - the Ibanez were exceptional, comfy workhorses (with pickup changes) sounded and played killer, however the JP was much more better.. but not by big gap tho

Gallardo147

Reaction score
2 totally different guitars and price leagues.

Save yourself some money and get a 652. If you can't one find one new or used you like you have issues :lol: jk

Good point. I actually hit up a Guitar Center today and tried some Ibanez guitars, they felt good but I was really impressed with a PRS SE, so now it's harder to decide :lol:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Seconded on the 652. I have the one with the black limba top, and it’s phenomenal. Ended up walking out with it for under a grand brand new, and I know Rich from Ibanez Rules has two new old stock 2014 models for sale right now. I think the galaxy black was $750 and the cobalt blue was $700.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
I have owned both. I would go with a used jp6. It's much higher quality. If you really want to save money, the rga is not a bad choice. The stock pickups are pretty meh though. Also the jp6 has a floating bridge, which is another thing to consider. People are on crack for what they are asking for their beat up rga121's these days, a thousand dollars? pshhh! I would not pay more than $600 for a dead mint rga. I would pay around $1200 tops for a dead mint jp6.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
RGA121. My JP's neck was out of control from the stability perspective every single year; RGA needed 1 setup and it still plays the same without any bow for 5 years since I bought it

bubucci

Reaction score
Tough one. RGA is great workhorse but not all play great. JP have better cratfmanship, playability and consistency among various guitars.
I recommend to look at Ibanez J Custom or Ibanez JPM, best of Ibanez world.

nyxzz

Reaction score
652 and JP are both fantastic, JP wins in craftsmanship and QC though.

')