Ibanez RGA8 for Jazz?!? Am I crazy? (string/pup question also)

DropDizzle

Reaction score
I am predominantly a jazz guitarist that enjoys the occasional shred/djent/riff.

I play a lot of walking bass lines on my jazz box and decided that i would love to have an 8 just for the extra depth, plus it'd be sweet for fusion, little brighter tone. Wanted to post a few vids here when work calms down also, just for something different on the site.

Anyway, my buddy works in a music store and cut me a great deal on an RGA8 that i couldn't pass up.

I haven't got it yet but im trying to research strings and pups so I know where to go with it when i get it in. As far as what I hear I'm going to be terribly disappointed with the stock pups, so what do you guys suggest i look into for a solid body wanting warm deep jazz tone?

I also have no problem being on 12 gauge strings, so whats the scale of something like 10-74 going to 12-??, maybe something like 80? I've heard of one dude on here with 90 on the low f# and that interests me a lot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
If you want jazz tone, you might look into the Lace X-Bars, which are essentially active-pickup-sized P-90s. Some of the vintage-voiced 8-string BKPs would probably work as well, but you'll need conversion rings to fill the space in the routes.

For strings, check a tension calculator; there are a few available on the web. I usually prefer 11s on my standard-scale electrics, and I have a 10-74 set on my 27" OAF 8-string to approximate that tension, so I'm guessing that something in the 11-85 range is probably going to work for you for F# standard. D'Addario makes flatwounds in those gauges as well (as singles - you won't find a flatwound 8 set), and probably others do too, so that's an option should you prefer that tone.

And please, post vids! It'd be nice to see more material that doesn't fall into the "ERG br00tz" stereotype.

DropDizzle

Reaction score
Yeah, dont get me wrong, a good chug is always fun, but its so much more engaging (to me) to use knowledge and voice beautiful chords and stuff.

I had no idea they made a p90 8 string pup. Every tone test on a p90 I've heard I've definitely had a few eargasms ;) I will definitely look into that.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I'm also voting for the X-Bars. Or any 8 string P90 you can find. I just love the sweetness of their tone! And I've always wanted to hear an 8 string eith them. I'd also like pics and video/clips of this :)

danresn

Reaction score
I'd like to point out that the first genre eight string electrics were used in is jazz, same with seven. It wasn't until later that metal took over.

Daken1134

Reaction score

they work fine for me. ide say (depending on the kind of jazz sound you want) go with a Dimarzio PAF8, its easy to get that really clean metheny or martino sound with it. but if your going for like... the pizzarelli almost acoustic souding quick strums im not sure. but the 8 is fun as hell for clean and jazz stuff

DropDizzle

Reaction score
The first time i heard Pizzarelli was live and he blew my mind lol. Love his tone much more than metheny or martino. I dig the "classic" jazz style (oscar peterson w/ herb ellis is pure gold)

^Thats actually kind of what im expecting from this guitar, a good clean solid body sound.

After hearing clips of Dmarzio's and Lundgren's (all distorted so hard to tell), I seem to be hearing tons of good stuff about the Xbars, so I believe I will go with those (especially for the price, 115 a pop isnt bad)

Vids to follow on the Jazz subforum when its all done.

Daken1134

Reaction score
Yeah im definitely more a martino kinda guy, i love that thick dead sound. and pizzarelli... my god... saw him live a few months ago and was blown away. also being a guitarist who plays mainly Extended range guitars and loves jazz and is an italian from new jersey but not a jersey shore douche.... i definately have a soft spot in my heart for Mr P.

DropDizzle

Reaction score
I love him so much for having so much class in his play style. Never "over the top" yet always pushing the limit. I dont find it terribly unbelieveable that he sings everything he solos, (though many metalheads might haha) it is so necessary for great melody to sing what you play. I feel he is Nat King Cole meets Freddy Green and learned from Uncle Joe Pass.

Don't expect my vids to look anything like him lol

Daken1134

Reaction score
no i did a fair amount of jazz training and its not tough to sing what you play, but when i saw him (and i never saw this in videos) he harmonized his guitar lines with his voice, THAT was impressive. the man is amazing.

DropDizzle

Reaction score
) he harmonized his guitar lines with his voice,

I did hear that live also. If you think thats impressive, sax players (or other woodwinds) will sometimes sing a harmony to the lines they are playing. Idk if you've ever played a wind instrument but essentially to get great tone your mouth and throat have to be in a fixed position. To change notes while singing you have to change the shape of your throat (in essence, just keeping it short).
It blows my mind (as a sax player) when people can maintain a beautiful tone and harmonize their lines. I believe its called multiphonics.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
It blows my mind (as a sax player) when people can maintain a beautiful tone and harmonize their lines. I believe its called multiphonics.

That or wizardry :D

I've just started exploring jazz, does anyone have any recommendations for a simple jazz peice that I could have a go at?

Thanks!

On topic; I've found a great jazz tone with my 7621 by just using the neck pickup and rolling down the tone a little, but the new7s are pretty bassy pickups anyway so I don't know if that would be enough with other pickups :).

DropDizzle

Reaction score
That or wizardry :D

I've just started exploring jazz, does anyone have any recommendations for a simple jazz peice that I could have a go at?

Thanks!

On topic; I've found a great jazz tone with my 7621 by just using the neck pickup and rolling down the tone a little, but the new7s are pretty bassy pickups anyway so I don't know if that would be enough with other pickups :).

Autumn leaves is a great tune for ii-v-i's. Getting into blues that has ii-v-i's in it is also a great idea... assuming you've done a lot of blues already.

How high the moon is also a great one to start bebop.

Those two are great fun. Then you can look up back tracks on YouTube and get down some scales and have at. You can PM me too if you want more info.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Autumn leaves is a great tune for ii-v-i's. Getting into blues that has ii-v-i's in it is also a great idea... assuming you've done a lot of blues already.

How high the moon is also a great one to start bebop.

Those two are great fun. Then you can look up back tracks on YouTube and get down some scales and have at. You can PM me too if you want more info.

Thanks! i'll give them a go :)

DropDizzle

Reaction score
Yes giant steps but not as a starting tune. I think its so drastic of a change from most standards that it may confuse a new jazz player. Getting a handle on 2-5-1 s really makes a difference in the scope of long term jazz playing.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Yes giant steps but not as a starting tune. I think its so drastic of a change from most standards that it may confuse a new jazz player. Getting a handle on 2-5-1 s really makes a difference in the scope of long term jazz playing.

(It depends on how committed they are on learning jazz, but:)

Why not? It forces new players to think over each chord and understand the differences in their qualities, not just key center = scale.

Practicing Giant Steps at a slow tempo in four different keys covers pretty much everything, while keeping you musical and within a 32 bar format. I get bored to tears practicing Autumn Leaves in 12 keys.

This is opposed to playing cycle of 4th II-V-Is, chromatically ascending II-V-Is etc.

Harder in the short term, but definitely more rewarding.

On the converse, in terms of subbing interesting scales over minor chords, Blue Bossa going up a semitone each chorus is a great exercise, especially if it's at a quick tempo.

DropDizzle

Reaction score
(It depends on how committed they are on learning jazz, but:)

Why not? It forces new players to think over each chord and understand the differences in their qualities, not just key center = scale.

Practicing Giant Steps at a slow tempo in four different keys covers pretty much everything, while keeping you musical and within a 32 bar format. I get bored to tears practicing Autumn Leaves in 12 keys.

This is opposed to playing cycle of 4th II-V-Is, chromatically ascending II-V-Is etc.

Harder in the short term, but definitely more rewarding.

On the converse, in terms of subbing interesting scales over minor chords, Blue Bossa going up a semitone each chorus is a great exercise, especially if it's at a quick tempo.

well, yes. When i said starting tune i was implying like first 5 tunes.

someone should definitely get down giant steps in repertoire. and even early on is great. im just not sure someone could wrap their head around it as an early jazz player. if he wants the challenge, go for it. I know if i had started on that tune i would've thought jazz was impossible haha.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
I don't get it. You should be able to handle II-V-Is. Moment's Notice and Giant Steps are all just II-V-Is, no unusal harmony, and don't have inconsistent or unorthodox key center movement, with incredibly straightforward harmonic rhyhtmn (one chord per bar). It's all fairly straightforward stuff you'll find in 30-40s jazz standards, just fast.

I'd say tunes like Body and Soul, When Sunny Get's Blue are harder by virtue of the fact that it sandbags you with uneven harmonic rhythm and unorthodox movement at times. While you may be able to nail playing over this uneven rhythm, trying to sound melodic or resorting to cliches can be quite difficult.