Ibanez RGA8 fret buzz...

Inamorata

Reaction score
This is kind of a noobish question, but I'm gonna keep it to the point

On my RGA8 I've got .010 - .046 + .059 + .080 strings, but the action on the guitar is extremely low to the point where the strings are touching the frets and I get massive fret buzz around the WHOLE neck
4nuQF4i.jpg

mdF5bhx.jpg

Another question I have is about the 8th (heaviest) string. For whatever reason, the low string is raised a tad bit higher than the other strings. Is that due to the fact that I have a .080 on or is it just overall a part of my whacked out action? Or do you think this has to do with how hard I'm picking?

I've checked the necks and the neck is fine, so I know that I don't need to adjust the truss rod, but since it has the Fixed Edge-III bridge I have no idea how to go about fixing the string action. If anyone knows their way around this guitar and could help that would be greatly appreciated! :yesway:

A picture of the bridge for convenience:
Gc27xUN.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DreamError

Reaction score
Amateur/new guitar tech speaking, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're sure the neck is fine, then you need to raise the strings at the bridge. There isn't another option. If by "fine" you mean flat, then it isn't fine at all. You need a little 'forward/up' bend (relief) to give the strings room to move.

and the thicker string(s) should be a little higher up, or you need more relief, the bigger string takes more space to vibrate, so without that room, bzz bzz bzzz. I know Ibanez specs the 8th 1mm higher iirc, something like that.

Checked frets for flatness with a cc or straight edge?

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
The difference in string height between the. 8th and 1st strings is normal because of the amount of room the low strings need to vibrate. As far as the neck goes, it's not supposed to be perfectly flat. There should be a bit of relief in the neck to give the strings some room. What I do is put a capo on the 1st fret and then hold down the fret where it meets the guitar body and check with a feeler gauge the action at the 8th fret. Since action is a matter of preference, the height doesn't matter at this point. What you need to do first is tap the string at the 8th fret while holding down the other frets. You should hear a click sound. If you don't, you need to make an adjustment to the neck until you can got a feeler gauge under the string at the 8th fret.

Once you find the neck relief that is your preference, then You can adjust the string height at the bridge to your preference. Also, you can check for high frets with a credit card.

Reaction score
This is kind of a noobish question, but I'm gonna keep it to the point

On my RGA8 I've got .010 - .046 + .059 + .080 strings, but the action on the guitar is extremely low to the point where the strings are touching the frets and I get massive fret buzz around the WHOLE neck
4nuQF4i.jpg

mdF5bhx.jpg

Another question I have is about the 8th (heaviest) string. For whatever reason, the low string is raised a tad bit higher than the other strings. Is that due to the fact that I have a .080 on or is it just overall a part of my whacked out action? Or do you think this has to do with how hard I'm picking?

I've checked the necks and the neck is fine, so I know that I don't need to adjust the truss rod, but since it has the Fixed Edge-III bridge I have no idea how to go about fixing the string action. If anyone knows their way around this guitar and could help that would be greatly appreciated! :yesway:

A picture of the bridge for convenience:
Gc27xUN.jpg

A #3 or #4 flat bladed screwdriver and a small Allen wrench maybe M3 is all you need. Loosen the locking nut, reduce the tension on all the strings and raise the bridge up a bit. Shampoo, Rinse and Repeat as needed.

')