Ibanez RGD7421 vs LTD H-1007

• Thread starter Unrest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unrest

Reaction score
I need some help on deciding which of these guitars I should go for. It will be my first sevenstring guitar, and it'll be used for tunings below Drop Bb/A#, mainly Drop G# and G.

Ibanez RGD7421(Basswood Body, Rosewood board, Wizard III neck, 26.5" scale, CAP -VK pickups)

Pros: speaks to me due to the longer scale length, and is somewhat cheaper. I already own an Ibanez 6-string and I really like the wizard neck and the look of the guitar is decent.

Cons: Poor pickups, I will replace these.(Would love some recommendations here aswell)

LTD H-1007(Mahogany Body, Rosewood board, Maple Neck, 25.5" scale, EMG 81-7, EMG 707 pickups)

Pros: Nice looking guitar, better pickups.

Cons: The scale of the Ibanez seems interesting, somewhat more expensive(although not by much after pickup change on the Ibanez)

So which one should I go for? As I said I'll be playing in some lower tunings so I'll probably have to replace the strings aswell.

Thanks for the help!

Recommendations of other 7 string guitar within the same price range is also welcome(no weird v-shapes or similar) but I really like these 2 guitars.

EDIT: Changed from blue to green, just wanted to make it easier/quicker to notice the main features/diffs of the guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
blue was a tad annoying to read, but my recomendation for pickups would be D-Activators, they work really well in that guitar

these two guitars are two different beast, right from scale length to hardware, to woods and pickups, this one will come down to what you like already. personally i'd go with the 7421 cus it's an extremely comfortable to play guitar for extended periods of time.

also emg's still have emg routes, regardless of what pickups you put in there, cover or no

Metaguitarist

Reaction score
I would go with the Ibanez as you will most likely want some extra scale length when you go beyond drop A.

Unrest

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers! I am still not sure which one I should pick, but I am leaning towards the Ibanez. Just wish it looked somewhat better..

Kharem

Reaction score
I would say the Ibanez, although I don't really like that rgd's (something about the body and the feel of them for me) I'm even more against the h-1007's, again just something about them I never meshed with, I became very bored of emg's quite quickly so the fact that you would change the rgd pickups anyway gives you the chance to do something different and interesting.
As for the pickups I really like bkp's just because I'm a massive fan of Northlane and they've been using them for years and years but there are a lot of cheaper options that people get to work for them well, not really the person to offer advice on them at the moment.
Good luck, hope your happy with whatever choice you make.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
personlly i would go for the Ibanez. If you want to tune down the extra scale length will do wonders. Also I find die 26.5" extremly comfotable! (I own a RGD2127z)
For pickups BKP are alway's good and what Sepultorture said, DiMarzio D-activators would do nice. I have those in my RG7321. Sounds really good!

Only nice thing about the LTD is a mahogany body with maple top. I don't like EMG's....... or any other active pickup... personal tast..

BUT.. in the end you should try them both and listen and feel what suits you best, personally
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/members/sepultorture.html

Unrest

Reaction score
personlly i would go for the Ibanez. If you want to tune down the extra scale length will do wonders. Also I find die 26.5" extremly comfotable! (I own a RGD2127z)
For pickups BKP are alway's good and what Sepultorture said, DiMarzio D-activators would do nice. I have those in my RG7321. Sounds really good!

Only nice thing about the LTD is a mahogany body with maple top. I don't like EMG's....... or any other active pickup... personal tast..

BUT.. in the end you should try them both and listen and feel what suits you best, personally
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/members/sepultorture.html

If my local music store can get a hold of both guitars I will try them(they only have the Ibanez I think, not in stock though). I don't have enough experience to say whether I prefer active or passive pickups, as I only tried EMG and random pickups on a cheap squire(first guitar).

However I do know that I don't want that djent type of sound. Just pickups that can achieve real nice heavy dist sound and nice warm clean tone

sear

Reaction score
However I do know that I don't want that djent type of sound. Just pickups that can achieve real nice heavy dist sound and nice warm clean tone
In that case go with the LTD. The mahogany body + EMGs will do what you want, though if you don't like active pickups you might need to swap them. Of course, with the Ibanez you will probably have to swap the pickups regardless. For a pickup swap I would stay away from the D-Activators and maybe get some Duncan Distortions for something crunchy, or the DiMarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo for something smoother.

Personally I also feel the build quality and setup of the 1000 series LTDs is worlds beyond most Ibanez guitars these days, and they have much nicer finishes.

Unrest

Reaction score
In that case go with the LTD. The mahogany body + EMGs will do what you want, though if you don't like active pickups you might need to swap them. Of course, with the Ibanez you will probably have to swap the pickups regardless. For a pickup swap I would stay away from the D-Activators and maybe get some Duncan Distortions for something crunchy, or the DiMarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo for something smoother.

Personally I also feel the build quality and setup of the 1000 series LTDs is worlds beyond most Ibanez guitars these days, and they have much nicer finishes.

What is wrong with the D-Activators? They seem to have a pretty nice tone. I agree with the finish though, the ltd looks better!

My band plays metalcore type of stuff mainly(think parkway drive and similar, and sometimes heavier like Suicide Silence) and I don't want this type of sound Stuart Dudleston - Vildhjarta - "Traces" (Guitar Cover) - YouTube it is just way too flat sounding imo.

EDIT: I am also intrerested in the Mike Mushok PRS Baritone guitar, anyone have any experience with it?

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Get the Ibanez. Get bkp warpigs, they rape in basswood. Of that's to expensive, get the crunchlab and liquifire

Unrest

Reaction score
Get the Ibanez. Get bkp warpigs, they rape in basswood. Of that's to expensive, get the crunchlab and liquifire

They were quite expensive, might look into maybe getting the warpig as the bridge pickup and some other pickup in the neck

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
What is wrong with the D-Activators? They seem to have a pretty nice tone. I agree with the finish though, the ltd looks better!

My band plays metalcore type of stuff mainly(think parkway drive and similar, and sometimes heavier like Suicide Silence) and I don't want this type of sound Stuart Dudleston - Vildhjarta - "Traces" (Guitar Cover) - YouTube it is just way too flat sounding imo.

EDIT: I am also intrerested in the Mike Mushok PRS Baritone guitar, anyone have any experience with it?

D Activator 7's are amazing- at least the bridge pickup is. I haven't tried the neck pickup. I'd highly recommend at least a D Activator bridge for what you're going for. I had an RG7321FM with a D Activator bridge and a Liquifire neck and it sounded amazing down to drop G (didn't try it any lower). I'm actually considering replacing it with an RGD7421 with that pickup combination.

Also, the tone in the video is probably more to do with the fact he's using POD farm- even though the BKP's do tend to have a dry character.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Not saying which guitar is better as that is more opinion than anything, but just to give you my side of things... when I went for my first 7 string I wanted to make sure that I could play it well, so I went with an Ibanez with the slimmer neck. It was a good choice. I can play other 7 strings, but I think if I went for a standard sized neck on a 7 right away I would've been less inclined to actually keep on playing/buy one.

Zado

Reaction score
schec SLS? ibanez-thin satin neck and blackouts or fullshred/59

Unrest

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input! I have decided to leave the H-1007 and instead go for the Ibanez most likely, or a Shecter if I happen to like it

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input! I have decided to leave the H-1007 and instead go for the Ibanez most likely, or a Shecter if I happen to like it

Go for the RGD my man, you won't be dissapointed. I used to have a crunchlab in the bridge but I despised it, it just wasn't for me. Now I've put an EMG 81-7 in the bridge and 707 in the neck and it's all gravy.

Unrest

Reaction score
So I've been looking around for quite some time now and I have a hard time making my mind up on this one.. I'm looking for a 26.5" guitar and lately I've been looking into the Schecter Blackjack C-7 ATX. Looks really nice.

So without making a new thread, I'd like some input and advice on 26.5" guitars.
Currently it stands between the RGD7421 and Blackjack C-7. The SLS version of the blackjack looks nice but it is a bit too expensive, atleast for my first 7-string..

')