Ibanez RGIR28FE Pickup swap

• Thread starter Heizt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heizt

Reaction score
Hello All,

| am a newly registered member, I have been browsing these forums for sometime tho.

Today I fitted a set of white EMG 808x pickiups into my Iron label Ibanez. I used the existing wiring in the guitar and simply just unplugged the old 808's and plugged in the new 808x and everything seems to be working fine. I am wondering if there is any downside to not using the wiring/pots supplied with the 808x?

Also I thought I should mention that the 808x seem to be slightly wider than the 808's as the neck pick up did not fit at first. Instead of widening the cavity I simply took the neck off, installed the pickup and then bolted the neck back on. It is a very tight fit now but it is in there and working as it should :)

I look forward to speaking with you all and have an awesome day :hbang:

*Sorry for the bad picture quality*

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
The pots, jack, and wiring should be identical, so no problem there. :)

What do you think of the 808Xs? I think that's what I'm going to go with for my RG8. I've owned 808s before and I didn't mind them, but I really like what I've heard from the X's, especially Javier Reyes' clean clips.

Also, could you post some pictures? I've never seen an Iron Label with white EMGs, I bet it would look great with the binding.

Heizt

Reaction score
The pots, jack, and wiring should be identical, so no problem there. :)

What do you think of the 808Xs? I think that's what I'm going to go with for my RG8. I've owned 808s before and I didn't mind them, but I really like what I've heard from the X's, especially Javier Reyes' clean clips.

Also, could you post some pictures? I've never seen an Iron Label with white EMGs, I bet it would look great with the binding.

I am really liking the X's they have really opened up the cleans for me, the extra clarity is just what I was looking for. With the heavy chugging riffs there is a loss in bass but they still sound brilliant. I will update the OP with some pics asap :)

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
God damn that looks nice!!!! I get to try the 7 string version tomorrow.....hoping that God has mercy on my wallet :lol:

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
It looks nice with white pickups. Throw that Ernie Ball 8 set in the garbage where it belongs, though.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
There is not much choice for 8 string sets in Glasgow. I have been looking for alternatives. What would you recommend?

Order a custom set. Something like a .10-.46 + .62 + .74. Should be pretty easy to get :)

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
There is not much choice for 8 string sets in Glasgow. I have been looking for alternatives. What would you recommend?

If you like standard or Drop E on your 8, I highly recommend the DR Tite Fit TF 8-10 set (Their medium 8 string set). I hope you can find a set of them, they're so awesome. I had that Ernie Ball 8 set on my RG8 for a while and the gauges are so weird it would just .... with my playing. Since I've been using the DR set, it's all gravy.

Heizt

Reaction score
If you like standard or Drop E on your 8, I highly recommend the DR Tite Fit TF 8-10 set (Their medium 8 string set). I hope you can find a set of them, they're so awesome. I had that Ernie Ball 8 set on my RG8 for a while and the gauges are so weird it would just .... with my playing. Since I've been using the DR set, it's all gravy.

I have hunted for DR Tite fit strings and cannot find them anywhere in the UK :(

')