Ibanez`s edge setup

• Thread starter kochmirizliv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kochmirizliv

Reaction score
Hey guys,I want to tune down my Ibanez,but the action is very low and the strings act like rubberbands when I try to downtune it,so can anyone help me out on how to get the action higher?

cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
Get thicker strings, then tune low; raising the action won't help.

it would give him some extra tension, raising the strings. i agree on getting thicker strings but if he went from say 1.5 mm at the 12th to 2.5 there would be more tension

s4tch

Reaction score
Higher action actually would bring some sustain, but he would lose some attack then.

@jeleopard is right, getting thicker strings is the way to go.

Nikea Tiber

horribad at guitar
Reaction score
Since you have a floating trem, read the guide k3vin posted, it is a good overview on the edge and floyd rose trems.
If you are going to heavier strings, you might need to add another spring to the back cavity, since most ibanez guitars I've seen come set up with .09's and three trem springs. I use .11's and four springs in my 3120.
How is the neck relief? Where do the strings buzz against the frets? If you do need to raise or lower the trem studs you need to do so when there is no string tension or you will damage the knife edge.

A tool that will help out a lot if you have to monkey with setting up a floyd is a wedge that you can use to block + keep the trem at the correct level when you put the strings back on and get it to tune. Once you do this as long as the tremolo claw isn't at either of its absolute range of adjustment (i.e. how far the screw that mounts it to the body is screwed in), it is a matter of fine tuning the spring tension to balance the string tension when the strings are in tune.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
The trem posts are much more prone to taking damage than knife edges when adjusting with string tension. I have never seen any damage to the knife edges as a result of adjustment, but I've done some trem post swapping in my time as a guitar tech ;)

')