Ibanez S thread

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ape Factory

Reaction score
That was a limited edition model produced for Guitar Center only. It's currently a "project" guitar that's just about done. I swapped in a Prestige 24-fret neck amongst other things. Waiting for one last part and she'll be complete. Will post photos soon. Plus I have a 1997 FGM400 on the way that I just picked up. Should be here Thursday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
How do you S fans feel about the Premium S line? I'm liking that 970W, though i think a maple board would have broken up all the brown and made the finish pop a little more.
How do they compare to Prestiges quality wise? is a prestige worth the extra $600 or so?

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Can't speak for the s premium, but my RG1XXV (premium)plays better than my RG1550m (prestige).

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop this off.
430521_355156517848149_492212197_n1.jpg

That one on the right, fantastic quality for a non prestige! One of the best Ibanez's I had the opportunity to play.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
What's that flamed one on the far right?

I don't recall there ever being anything close to that with the S series either as a regular model or a Prestige over the last few years (given it's a ZR trem if my eyes are correct, that means it's still at best 4 years old?)

Ape Factory

Reaction score
What's that flamed one on the far right?

I don't recall there ever being anything close to that with the S series either as a regular model or a Prestige over the last few years (given it's a ZR trem if my eyes are correct, that means it's still at best 4 years old?)

It's a 2010 S5EX1, same guitar I posted earlier in the thread. The one you're asking about is trans black whereas mine is a natural or honey tint. Not sure what they actually called my color. Edit: It was a Guitar Center only offering. Ibanez produced it strictly for them.

Ape Factory

Reaction score
This was dropped off to me yesterday, 1997 FGM400BB (Blazer Blue). More photos this afternoon when I get her in the studio.
7E965411-6F16-4A3C-9FDE-5DDA5A8EBAFA-297-0000001671808C75.jpg

Ape Factory

Reaction score
How do you S fans feel about the Premium S line? I'm liking that 970W, though i think a maple board would have broken up all the brown and made the finish pop a little more.
How do they compare to Prestiges quality wise? is a prestige worth the extra $600 or so?

Take a look at Ebay. There are numerous Prestige that are on there for a very good price. You get the Wizzard HP neck instead of a Wizzard II, a matching neck to tremolo radius (430mm) and much, much better pickups. They also come in a really nice hard case and are definitely better than a standard S. I've not compared them to a premium side by side but if you find one on the bay for $100 more than a premium, I'd snag it in a heartbeat.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
Take a look at Ebay. There are numerous Prestige that are on there for a very good price. You get the Wizzard HP neck instead of a Wizzard II, a matching neck to tremolo radius (430mm) and much, much better pickups. They also come in a really nice hard case and are definitely better than a standard S. I've not compared them to a premium side by side but if you find one on the bay for $100 more than a premium, I'd snag it in a heartbeat.

problem is i have plenty of used guitars, i want something where I'm the first owner, perfect brand new frets and such. pickups are not problem I have a set of spare d-activators laying around and may experiment with Holy Diver/VHII or Blackhawks in the future. (opinions on pickup choices would be nice btw)

Ape Factory

Reaction score
I purchased mine used and there literally wasn't a mark on it, anywhere. Just be patient and look for a good deal. If you want new and want it set up right, I'd get it from Rich at Ibanezrules.com. He has service packages and can do whatever you'd like to the guitar. His prices are usually better than the big box stores too. I'd just inquire with him for exactly what you're looking for. He may have a deal or two on a Prestige as well.

Ape Factory

Reaction score
Adding updated photos of my modded S5EX1.
-RG1570Z neck
-"ebonized" fret board
-Zebrawood knobs stained dark
-switched out cosmo trem to black
-DiMarzio PAF Joe/Fast Track/Mo Joe pickups
-VLX91 switch and CTS brass shaft pots
-Ernie "Cobalt' strings
-Power Cosmo tuning keys (will probably switch to black)
-Waiting on black pickup rings

Old.....
S5EX1-1.jpg

S5EX1-4.jpg

New. My thought process was I wanted a less ornate neck, darker fret board and metal parts to highlight and emphasize the top instead of distracting from it.
2010S5EX1_02.jpg

2010S5EX1_06.jpg

2010S5EX1_09.jpg

2010S5EX1_03.jpg

2010S5EX1_04.jpg

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Nice s series' apefactory. Damn I want to get my hands on an fgm...

parksed24

Reaction score
That was a limited edition model produced for Guitar Center only. It's currently a "project" guitar that's just about done. I swapped in a Prestige 24-fret neck amongst other things. Waiting for one last part and she'll be complete. Will post photos soon. Plus I have a 1997 FGM400 on the way that I just picked up. Should be here Thursday.

That's got to be my favorite S series by a long shot, and the updated pics look great. That guitar is a stunner! I might have to start digging around the web to find one haha.

fr4nci2c0

Reaction score
I own a RGT3120, JacksonCOW7, 1992 RG550DXLB, and a '02 S1620FB. After alot of soul searching and seriously playing them each for an extended period of time hands down the S1620FB is my favorite by far. S players UNITE!!!!

DarthV

Reaction score
Nice S's guys! Here are my 2:

1993 s540, installed a PAF Joe + Mo' Joe.

93saber02.jpg

2003 S470

2003s470-01.jpg

Inside, the color is more dull orange, but in sunlight, it's almost molten!

2003s470-04.jpg

Haven't really had S GAS for a while, I've fleshed out my guitar rack with MiJ RGs lately. Would kill for one of the rare S5470BW, though!

')