Ibanez S thread

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
2010_0118IbanezS320newpickups0002.jpg

My S320, bought in 2008. Seymour Duncan Distortion Trembucker in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jackrat

Reaction score
55703_544335625580920_1663678475_o.jpg
Ive since added abalone knobs. I also noticed that prestige model didn't have abalone s inlays or the ivoroid binding all the way around the neck and headstock like the GC models. And thank you for the kind words and compliments, my guitar is blushing.

jeleopard

Reaction score
3E63pa3Hc5L65G95Z6ccg3a3b212664bf14d3.jpg

Getting it on Monday! Can't wait! Can't decide on what pickups I want though :\ Also can't think of a name for her. Yes, I name my guitars, fight me.

(It's an S470 ^.^)

Drowner

Reaction score
Everytime i see one in stores and pick it up and play it, i love them. Then i always end up at the jack placement, and it put it back on the rack. Something so small and im completely turned off from buying.

tedtan

Reaction score
^ Drowner

I actually like the jack placement for functional reasons, if not aesthetically. It's a lot easier to keep from hitting the plug into a chair or desk when recording or otherwise playing sitting down (or when leaning over an amp to check the FX send/return connections, or a rack of mic pres to plug a mic in, etc.).

tedtan

Reaction score
^ Yo_Wattup

These guitars (especially the Japanese made ones) kick ass, man. You won't be dissappointed.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
^ Yo_Wattup

These guitars (especially the Japanese made ones) kick ass, man. You won't be dissappointed.

Awesome! This will be my first Japanese built instrument I've ever owned. :D the guitar is in ibanez's neon purple color, which is not so much neon but purple-blue pearl. Lo-pro trem, ibz usa pups.... can't wait!

tedtan

Reaction score
I have eight or so of these older S's, including a 1989 540S-LTD in neon purple, pretty much like the one you describe except it has the original Edge instead of the Lo Pro. Its the heaviest guitar I've played except for some Les Pauls, but it kicks all kinds of ass. I also have a 1991 540S, which is also heavy, and it also kicks ass.

Unless your axe is damaged in shipping, expect a killer NGD.

Edit: The neon purple changes color depending on how the light hits it. On the S series, you can get a two tone look with both lavender and a metallic dark purple/dark blue showing at the same time - it doesn't show well in pics, but its pretty cool in person.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
anyone have issues with the ZR2 trem studs that adjust bridge height? I've stripped both of them in 2 months. the metal seems really week. give I ad doing a bunch of adjustments to get the guitar feeling right (s5470, just can't get it 100% so far) but now I can make any adjustments at all.

Ape Factory

Reaction score
They can be fragile. I have a V1.1 and the studs were delicate. I managed to damage one. I also had a V2.0 and the studs seemed higher quality (S5470) and I didn't have issues with them. I ordered the new studs from Rich to replace both on my S5EX1. I also use the nut to try and strengthen the wall of the stud where the allen head goes in AND I loosen the strings and block the trem from sinking down in back.Will take less effort to turn the studs and less chance of damage.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
They can be fragile. I have a V1.1 and the studs were delicate. I managed to damage one. I also had a V2.0 and the studs seemed higher quality (S5470) and I didn't have issues with them. I ordered the new studs from Rich to replace both on my S5EX1. I also use the nut to try and strengthen the wall of the stud where the allen head goes in AND I loosen the strings and block the trem from sinking down in back.Will take less effort to turn the studs and less chance of damage.

thanks for the tips. Its still under warranty so i didnt want to rip apart the trem myself. The NYC repair guy for ibanez already ordered new studs and should be ready to fix it by the beginning of April.

btw, i have one note that dies very quickly regardless of string height- 3rd string 16th fret. I'd heard something about this issue in the past but i wanted the guitar anyway. Any fixes? (the frets were recently leveled)

Ape Factory

Reaction score
Common. I minimized mine with a good setup and minimal neck relief. All the S series exhibit it, some more than others. My parts S, the S5EX1 body with Prestige neck is fairly good, the 1520 is equal to the FGM400 and a hair better than the S5EX1. The S5470, on certain parts of the neck is just a monster, better than my LP but worse than everything else in others. But it played so well overall that it was never an issue that I noticed. I also did a lot more high gain stuff with that guitar. It doesn't have anything to do with the fret level though. Sometimes it's literally just one spot on the guitar. I was going to experiment with a brass bar screwed into the headstock tool bracket holes. I just never got around to it. I may do that yet with one of my other S series. The FGM has the tool bracket on the back of the headstock already.

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
got an s520ex here converted to active with emg 81/60. Its a lovely light guitar but ill be selling it since i aint played it in over a year :(

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
It's an S prestige ;D

It's gonna be here soon. Btw, what pickups do you put in your S guitars? I kind of like the default Hot Grinder pickups, but looking for a bit more clarity. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Personally, I would not go with Ibanez......because out of the few signature artists they have, they chose to give the guys in Asking Alexandria signature models. So maybe these guys are right on up there with Tosin Abasi and Steve Vai?... O.O

This is a big bullet to all the Ibanez fanboys out there to prove that Ibanez is NOT the best.

')