Ibanez S thread

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ludgate

Reaction score
Wow... These FB tops on the 1520s look completely different!

My choice would be the '01, since i love the rarish galaxy inlay... :yesway:

I've had a similar experience. Here's the "top" on a 1620 I used to own. Way different compared to my 1520 that I showed a few posts back.

IMG_0157_zpsaf0d41e4.jpg

Also, that S540 with the maple fretboard is something that I haven't had luck finding. When I do, it's usually beat to death.

If anyone wants to let their oiled mahogany version go, you know who to look for. :wavey:

latest

EDIT: Mad jealous of Sephiroth952.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSBzwo

S-Series GASer
Reaction score
I've had a similar experience. Here's the "top" on a 1620 I used to own. Way different compared to my 1520 that I showed a few posts back.

Seems Bubinga comes in many different textures. I was hoping one of my axes would match the Bubinga veneer of my Hifi speakers. But for my 1620...

:( Not even close:

The 8 in the background seems a much better fit, but in the same light its far to bright:

And of course, as promised...

my S2020X:

Made the KJG-Mod and installed a set of C-Pigs. I just love the black battleworn covers. :wub:

Reaction score
(...)
Maaaaan, go for it! The S2020X is a great catch and a real player!

(...)

I would if I had enough spare money. Let see how tomorrow goes and I probably will (job interview)... wish me a new guitar :lol: for that's what jobs are for.

(...)

my S2020X:

Made the KJG-Mod and installed a set of C-Pigs. I just love the black battleworn covers. :wub:

If I manage to get that one, I'll put some new pickups and do the KGJ mod as well, but I'll also add some TripleShot pickup rings from Seymour Duncan and modify the wiring at the switch. It will become the ultimate flexible guitar with almost all possible coil combos.

DSBzwo

S-Series GASer
Reaction score
I would if I had enough spare money. Let see how tomorrow goes and I probably will (job interview)... wish me a new guitar :lol: for that's what jobs are for.

If I manage to get that one, I'll put some new pickups and do the KGJ mod as well, but I'll also add some TripleShot pickup rings from Seymour Duncan and modify the wiring at the switch. It will become the ultimate flexible guitar with almost all possible coil combos.

TripleShot-rings could well be the only way to realize it without drilling, since it might be next to impossible to fit a push/pull pot in that small and crowded control cavity...

Good luck for the intervew!
I know how it feels having a serious GAS with the lack of money/job at the same time... There were times when i didnt touch my car for at least 2 months, because i couldnt afford refueling, and i ate nothing but the cheap spaghetti with tomato sauce for 0,59€ the pack every f**king day, just to fund the RG2027X that came up surprisingly. :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this thread but here's the Jason Becker tribute S520 I was formerly the owner of:

000_0007.jpg

Reaction score
Good luck for the intervew!
(...) just to fund the RG2027X that came up surprisingly.

Thanks

Interesting you mention those... I got my second RG2027X last year (NGD thread HERE)...

What's worst is that I found an RG1027XL also near by... so many guitars and so little money...

Mad-Max

Reaction score
I have the exact same one :hbang:

Awesome guitar!

I had mine refretted in stainless and pleked. Ive also replaced the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio tone zone and shimmed the bridge saddles to perfectly match the neck radius :yesway:

I got mine in a trade back in the summer. It wasn't really what I was looking for at the time, but I gave it a chance and I'm sure glad I did! It's one of my most played guitars! An absolute workhorse. It's also 10 years old, but by the looks of it, you can't even tell, which is why I decided to get it!

How does the Tone Zone sound in the bridge? I have a Tone Zone in my Destroyer that I think is fantastic, and was thinking about getting another for this one and wasn't sure how it would react.

Ludgate

Reaction score
J.custom limited edition, JCS1601, taken from Ibanez Japan's Instagram page.

942a2412-2fbd-4ce1-9a4c-11a3c8d11c7b_zpsbpg1qehu.png

Ludgate

Reaction score
Not sure about that as well, no information about it at the moment.

It would definitely be pretty cool to see Edge Zero trems (I'm guessing from the picture) come with Piezo saddles.

ofdustandnations

Reaction score
Not as cool as some of the more classic S series on here, but here is my S5470f in Viking Red. Probably my favorite prestige i've owned so far!

14676628_1602373530058708_832923389965369344_n.jpg

hilljack13

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a SIX20DBG. Anyone want to make a deal?

Ludgate

Reaction score
Not as cool as some of the more classic S series on here, but here is my S5470f in Viking Red. Probably my favorite prestige i've owned so far!

That's nice! The S5470 will probably become a classic in its own right, just from the number of variants it has had over the years. Always lusted for one of the rare burled walnut topped ones, or the wild cherry blossom quilts.

DarthV

Reaction score
That's nice! The S5470 will probably become a classic in its own right, just from the number of variants it has had over the years. Always lusted for one of the rare burled walnut topped ones, or the wild cherry blossom quilts.

I'm so glad I found my burled walnut. There were only a handful that were brought into NA. Had been looking at used Prestige models @ Sam Ash one night and noticed the red viking 5470 looked a little odd. Jackpot! I've replaced the humbuckers with a pair of Titans, so much clearer than the stock ones!

s5470bw_06.jpg

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score

There's one up on the bay right now that I've been thinking about picking up.
It's a little dinged up, though, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Ludgate

Reaction score
I'm so glad I found my burled walnut. There were only a handful that were brought into NA. Had been looking at used Prestige models @ Sam Ash one night and noticed the red viking 5470 looked a little odd. Jackpot! I've replaced the humbuckers with a pair of Titans, so much clearer than the stock ones!

Wow, that's a beauty, did you give yours a gloss refinish? I believe they came out of the factory with a flat/matte finish.

There's one up on the bay right now that I've been thinking about picking up.
It's a little dinged up, though, which sort of defeats the purpose.

If you're referring to this, it's posted by one of many Japanese resellers on eBay that do not actually have inventory/stock of the item. Pretty unscrupulous if you ask me.

In this case, the actual guitar is being sold by Shinamura and can be found here for way cheaper.

Ludgate

Reaction score
Pretty sure the 2008 models were all gloss.

Hmm, that's a strange one, you're right that most variants were gloss, but the burled walnut ones were the exception. The few examples I've seen all came in the Red Viking Flat finish.

Here is someone's BW for reference:
body.jpg

And the one for sale that (i think) Ordacleaphobia was talking about:
P7093624.jpg

Even so, I won't rule out the probability that it might be one of those regional exclusive spec things that Ibanez likes to do. Or maybe even a production sample?

')