Ibanez S thread

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
I noticed a lack of threads relevant to the Ibanez S series, so I decided to make one. Here's a short review of mine;

I have the S5470F in Viking Red with the CL/LF set, and it rocks! Really comfortable to play live due to it's thin body. Even with the thin body, it sustains really well and has a thick sound. I think they made it out of really dense mahogany.

The stock pickups were quite good compared to the V series, quite responsive and tight, but not to my tastes. I prefer the CL/LF set more.

The neck plays like butter, like the typical thin Ibanez necks.

I don't use the bridge for whammy antics much, but it's really solid and stays in tune even after crazy dive bombs. It's really smooth compared to the Edge Pro and other knife-edged tremolos.

As for sustain problems, I don't notice any, I think they fixed it with the 2010 models which has a new middle pickup and new necks with the KTS reinforcement. As a matter of fact it sustains as long as (or maybe longer than!) my RGA321F.

The bad points ; when I bought it it needed a setup to suit my playing style and tuning, but otherwise it's awesome out of the factory. The middle pickup is kind of weak but nothing a pickup change wont do. Oh, and it gets too addictive to play when I play on it :rolleyes:

I think the fact that it has a thin body scares people off from buying a really great guitar. It's really comfortable and a lot of players use it as a mainstay for their live guitar. I'm surprised it doesn't get much publicity here. Let's hear it if you own an S series guitar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't own a 6 string but I have 3 of their MIJ 7 string brethren :cool:
Love them, my favorite Ibanez EVER !!!
** sorry for the 7 string invasion **
IMAG0573-1.jpg

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Definitely my favorite Ibanez series. Love the thin bodies, love the ZR series bridges, and it might be strictly psychological, but I feel like these have more comfortable necks than their other guitars.

Mysticlamp

Ripplesprint
Reaction score
i've played a couple at GC and i love them still trying to save up to get one

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was never really able to get seriously into the Sabers. I've owned a few, and love the aesthetics, but I'm just too much of an RG/UV guy.

dres_x

Reaction score
Here are my twins! S470 and SF470 both MIJ from the early 90s!

IMG_2602-Copy.jpg

IMG_3111.JPG

Riggy

Djun djun djun
Reaction score
My favourite guitars.

I've got an S470 in black. Really weird pickup combo. EMG81 in the bridge with the stock INF's in the single coil and neck.

Just need to find myself an S7 now.

S470BK.jpg

Bad picture is bad.

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
Mine is still the best guitar I've ever played. Found a few that equal or come close but never better. The old f-series pickups are the shit.

DSC_0231.jpg

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
Could someone tell me the name of this model? isnt the finish called onyx or something like that?
gtar4wafslp8.jpg

jeremyb

Reaction score
Heres mine, S420, with a crazy lower horn carve, an EVO in the bridge and a PAF PRO in the neck :hbang:

s420_1.jpg

AxeHappy

Reaction score
A 1990 S540LTD is my main guitar! Don't have any pictures of it as it is right now though.

I also scored a '94 S540CGM but it needs some work done on it's so it's not together.

And my bass is a SB900!

Sabers are awesome.

')