Ibanez - S421 vs SIR70FD

legolas151

Reaction score
Ok, so my question this time will be about the model of the new guitar - I can't choose between those two.

I've tried the S420 in a shop nearby and liked it a lot - specially the neck, which surprised me. The thing is that the SIR70FD's neck comes with a bubinga stripe, which appeared to be a great deal tonewise and shouldn't make any huge difference in feel, but I read a review (the only one in the internet if I'm not mistaken) saying that everything from the guitar was good EXCEPT for the neck, which felt cheap.

Pickups would be changed anyway (the Dimarzios, in the SIR70FD's case, would be sold); I already have got a pair that I love just waiting for the guitar. The price wouldn't be so different, it's more a question of taking the risk of buying a 2013 product or not.

What do you guys think? Have any of you tried them both - or just the SIR70FD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I might be crazy, but I've always found a pretty good consistency on Ibanez necks, and for the most part, I've liked all of 'em.

I can't see there being a huge difference in feel between an S420/421/SIR70FD's neck, so I really wouldn't be too worried if I was you.

I'm assuming price wise that the S series is probably running a wee little bit less expensive, so it might be safe to say that if you're planning on swapping the pickups anyway, it might be best to save the few bucks and go with the S420/421.

Of course, it's your guitar and your choice, but I think a lot of what you're paying for in the Iron Label series is the aftermarket, non IBZ pickups, which is a nice touch for Ibanez, but if you have a set you're already in love with, it just seems like a waste.