Ibanez S5528LW SIX28FDBG TAM10 comparison

• Thread starter PunchLine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PunchLine

Reaction score
I'm doing my research for my first 8-string and I'd like to get you opinion on these models:

Ibanez Prestige S5528LW
Like the S shape, the looks, the weight; Prestige quality; limba wood top option; 430mmR? I really like this radius in 6 string but no idea about it on an 8-string; Not sure about the clean tones...

Ibanez Iron Label SIX28FDBG
Like the S shape, the looks, the weight; love the ebony fretboard; bubinga wood top option;

Ibanez TAM10
Wide range of tones due to more pickups and wiring.

I'm especially wondering if anyone has had a chance to play both the S5528LW and the SIX28FDBG. I'm curious about the tonal similarities-differences for both the clean and the distorted tones and also the feeling of the neck (400mmR of SIX28FDBG versus 430mmR of the S5528LW).

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
+1 on getting the prestige

The iron label and TAM10 are both the same quality as the normal low end Ibanez guitars (Think RG8).

That being said, I love my RG8WNF and my iron label S, so it's not like they would be bad guitars.

Reaction score
I'm doing my research for my first 8-string and I'd like to get you opinion on these models:

Ibanez Prestige S5528LW
Like the S shape, the looks, the weight; Prestige quality; limba wood top option; 430mmR? I really like this radius in 6 string but no idea about it on an 8-string; Not sure about the clean tones...

Ibanez Iron Label SIX28FDBG
Like the S shape, the looks, the weight; love the ebony fretboard; bubinga wood top option;

Ibanez TAM10
Wide range of tones due to more pickups and wiring.

I'm especially wondering if anyone has had a chance to play both the S5528LW and the SIX28FDBG. I'm curious about the tonal similarities-differences for both the clean and the distorted tones and also the feeling of the neck (400mmR of SIX28FDBG versus 430mmR of the S5528LW).

Thanks!

I am bias on this since i own the S5528, but out of those choices get the S5528. I think "Schecter-esque" look on the Iron Label always make guitars seem cheap. The TAM10 isn't bad. Definitely is fun with the electronics, but the aesthetics are a little boring.

GunnarJames

Reaction score
The iron label and TAM10 are both the same quality as the normal low end Ibanez guitars (Think RG8).

I dunno about all that, my SIX28FDBG feels WAY better than an RG8. :shrug:

Never played the TAM10, but I think the SIX28FDBG is great. With that being said, the Prestige will be even nicer if you have the money for it. Both S Series you're looking at have the D Activators with a 5 way switch, so don't worry about clean tones. The split and parallel settings sound fantastic. :yesway:

:2c:

Masoo2

Reaction score

Never played the TAM10, but I think the SIX28FDBG is great. With that being said, the Prestige will be even nicer if you have the money for it. Both S Series you're looking at have the D Activators with a 5 way switch, so don't worry about clean tones. The split and parallel settings sound fantastic. :yesway:

Well, that's just what I have heard (At least with the TAM10, the iron labels might be slightly better, but not premium or prestige).

Like I said, I love my RG8 and iron label S, but the prestige would be the better guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You got DARN lucky then, I'm big Ibby fan and I still can't bring myself to recommend the Iron Labels to anyone.

Veneer or actual laminate on the prestige?

Veneers are laminates. :nuts: :lol:

Assuming you mean if it's a top opposed to a thin veneer or something, it's a thin, decorative top. The Sabers are too thin for full tops, even the JC models only have a 1/8".

SilentCartographer

Creator as Observer
Reaction score
theres like a $1000 difference for the 5528LW and the others.. Even though I have the standard series S8 it still has a ton of tone options although there is a good deal of muddiness with the stock pups, but I doubt the hardware options on the 5528 are really worth all that extra.. well other than it being a MIJ and higher quality build ofcourse! although if I had the proper funds I would splurge on it, looks pretty gorgeous

BigHandy

Reaction score
I think "Schecter-esque" look on the Iron Label always make guitars seem cheap.

Well I seem to get stuck on this one... Can you be more descriptive and explain precisely what you mean under "Schecter-esque look"?:( It suggests some despise, or at least unsatisfacton towards the look (or even the built quality) of the Schecter guitars, which I don't see the reason for... All their guitars I have seen in pictures or in videos looked pretty good for me and hadn't emit any cheap feeling at all, as far as my taste could state this... (And I don't think I have a bad taste, tho' I haven't seen or hold a Schecter in real life.)

I'm not stroppy at all, just curious for others experiences and for Schecters in overall. (And sorry for the OFF.):rolleyes:

stevexc

Reaction score
Well I seem to get stuck on this one... Can you be more descriptive and explain precisely what you mean under "Schecter-esque look"?:( It suggests some despise, or at least unsatisfacton towards the look (or even the built quality) of the Schecter guitars, which I don't see the reason for... All their guitars I have seen in pictures or in videos looked pretty good for me and hadn't emit any cheap feeling at all, as far as my taste could state this... (And I don't think I have a bad taste, tho' I haven't seen or hold a Schecter in real life.)

I'm not stroppy at all, just curious for others experiences and for Schecters in overall. (And sorry for the OFF.):rolleyes:

Abalone binding.

A la
hellraiser-c-1-bch-tilt.png

BigHandy

Reaction score
Ah, you could've begin with that. Abalone, and thats all? I have thought for some more serious things, or is there something else?

BTW: yea, it's a factor too, but I think it's just only metter of taste, dosen't have to doo any with the guitars "cheapness". I bet many other companies have more expensive guitars with abalone stuffed everywhere, it dosen't make a guitar less valuable just on it's own, and I don't see it eighter why would that be a Schecter only issue...

(Personally I also like plain binding and inlays better than abalone, but I don't find the abaloned ones extra ugly or cheap felt just for that reason...)

stevexc

Reaction score
Ah, you could've begin with that. Abalone, and thats all? I have thought for some more serious things, or is there something else?

BTW: yea, it's a factor too, but I think it's just only metter of taste, dosen't have to doo any with the guitars "cheapness". I bet many other companies have more expensive guitars with abalone stuffed everywhere, it dosen't make a guitar less valuable just on it's own, and I don't see it eighter why would that be a Schecter only issue...

(Personally I also like plain binding and inlays better than abalone, but I don't find the abaloned ones extra ugly or cheap felt just for that reason...)

While I gave you that answer, I'm not the poster who originally mentioned the "Schecter"-ness. I have no doubt in my mind that's what he's referring to, though, the aesthetic similarities are pretty apparent.

The abalone binding that's been popularized primarily by Schecter (and to a lesser extent, ESP LTD) is typically looked upon as garish, which usually means either expensive and tasteless or cheap and trying too hard to look expensive. There are other brands doing it but it's most synonymous with Schecter's aesthetic.

I also dislike the Iron Labels because of the binding (and other reasons), and that's coming from someone whose primary guitar is an abalone-bound LTD.

unclejemima218

190 Proof
Reaction score
I owned a SIX28FDBG for a few months and it felt super nice to me, it was way ahead of an RG8 lol. It needed a little filing on the fret ends but after that it kept up with any 8 in its price range, sounded great, and was super comfy. but I wouldn't say it's as good as a prestige.

BigHandy

Reaction score
While I gave you that answer, I'm not the poster who originally mentioned the "Schecter"-ness.

Sry, just another rush overlook from me. And back to the subject: I seem to get an idea of the phenomena by this time, tho' I can't agree 100%. At least I haven't seen this solution on any Schecter ERGs (mostly these are that I have my eyes on), fortunately they seem to follow a more mature strategy designing them, if that theory applies at all...

The SIX28FSBG seems to some kind of borderline guitar, which is deffinitely not for everyone, but wish they have had followed a more stylish way to make it a bit different, tho' Iby not seem to be really brave in making something variant (talkin' about plain black finnishes) that would have catch my eyes lately. Other than binding, the SIX28FSBG seems to be a pretty neat guitar and it dosen't take away from is's value harshly. I wouldn't mind one standing in the corner of my bedroom...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

')