Ibanez s7320, ZR tremolo problem: help meh!

• Thread starter Filip S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals/ibz_03_prestige_manual.pdf
Page 32 starts on ZR tremolos, page 34 has the info i'm talking about.

so i've been reading this manual, (my guitar didnt come with one) and i finally figured out why my trem has been acting weird. The manual states that the stop rod (the one that sets the zero point) should contact the tremolo block and the 2 stoppers.

how the floatage works:
When you pull the trem arm, the block moves away from the rod.
When you push it down, the block pushes the rod away from the stoppers.

my tremolo is weird. when the bridge is at the correct angle, (i googled it, found some pictures on here as well as jemsite etc) the rod contacts the stoppers but not the tremolo block. (basically it sits in its saddles undisturbed.) when i push the trem down as far as it goes, i can feel when the block starts to push the rod backward. (it doesnt touch it at first remember)

If i was to adjust the spring tension, losening them, to make the tremolo block contact the rod, as specified by the manual, the tremolo would be at an outrageous angle. like it's obvious that the angle is too big.

does anyone know what's going on? do you think its fixable? what should i do? has it happened to you before?
any help appreciated.

thank you :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
only thing i can think is the ZPS2+ contraption in the back cavity was installed improperly at the factory, basically whoever screwed it in might have placed it in the wrong place. otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Can you take the backplate off and take some pictures?
I have an S7320, and the stopbar works correctly on mine. Perhaps I can see why yours isn't working.

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
forget what i said in my previous post. my dad came back earlier so i borrowed his camera today.
here are some shots, i didnt really know what you wanted to see, but i think this kinda straightens things out.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0006.JPG
    DSCN0006.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN0007.JPG
    DSCN0007.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 109

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
some moar

SD blackouts ftw btw

Attachments

• DSCN0008.JPG
    DSCN0008.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN9999.JPG
    DSCN9999.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 106

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
You're simply setting the bridge too far back, to be honest. The ZR is supposed to stick out a bit considering that the S7320's body is very curved. It gives the illusion of being too far forward.

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
lol, can it actually be that simple? :D ill have a look.

so if i dip my bar till the block touches the bar, the angle is something like this. does it look right?

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN0006.JPG
    DSCN0006.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 134

vigil785

Reaction score
Everything looks good to me, you just have to back the spring tension off until the block rests agaisnt the stop bar. But not enough to make the stop bar move away from the stoppers. When mine is set right it doesnt look like the angle is too much. It sits level. If the angle is too far off still after it is set right then maybe there is something wrong.

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
Everything looks good to me, you just have to back the spring tension off until the block rests agaisnt the stop bar. But not enough to make the stop bar move away from the stoppers. When mine is set right it doesnt look like the angle is too much. It sits level. If the angle is too far off still after it is set right then maybe there is something wrong.

thanks, did you have a look at the pictures of the trem angles? which one is your trem closer to?

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
You're simply setting the bridge too far back, to be honest. The ZR is supposed to stick out a bit considering that the S7320's body is very curved. It gives the illusion of being too far forward.

The part where the bridge sits is not curved. Mine sits perfectly level with the body, just like his, and in my case it hits the stop bar perfectly.

I can't really see why yours doesn't. It seems that either the block on your tremolo is too far forward (although if I recall correctly, it's part of the base-plate), or the entire tremolo sits too far forward/the ZPS assembly sits too far back.

So I think there's some kind of construction error.
The only way it could be fixed is to file the part where the stop bar rests, so the slots are deeper, and the bar will sit against the tremolo block.

vigil785

Reaction score
Mine looks more like the first picture but I think mine is a bit more level. Did you always have this problem or did this happen recently? If it has always been like this then I would see if Ibanez would replace it. Do you have a warranty?

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
it's always been like it. im not sure but i think i have a warranty. i got it straingt from a shop shelf, and not from an "online ibanez dealership" so i'd probably have to talk to the store people if i wanted it replaced. the only problem is that i put blackouts in it :( i dont know what will happen to them

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
I would think they would fix it or replace the trem or parts that needed to be replaced. The new pickups shouldn't effect the warranty......

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
you have a pic of the trem side of the tremelo cavity, but could you get one of the entire cavity, so i can see how your ZPS2+ is installed in there? you might be able to fix this quite easily.

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
well i'll have to wait to get a hold of my dad's camera again, but ill try to get it as soon as possible. i tried adjusting the trem angle so that it does touch the bar, and the trem seems to work a lot better. it's just that the angle seems funny. is it dangerous in any way if i keep my guitar like this? i mean can it be harmed in a way by it?

ill try to get a pic of the trem cavity soon.

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
ok, thanks.

ill still try to get the cavity pic up.

(lol pick up)

')