Ibanez S7420 Thoughts

• Thread starter djpharoah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fueled by my latest GAS for this guitar I thought I might ask owners, former owners and people who have played the guitar their thoughts/Pros/Cons.

I have a few concerns myself regarding the balance? Is the body heavy enough to warrant a balance between the headstock with the extra tuner or will it be neck heavy>? (me thinks back to my DR7).

Anything else to this you can add please let me know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
mine isnt neck heavy at all. the only con (to me) is that i dont play mine enough. :hbang: but i love it to death. i'd sell everything else before i sold my S7420.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the balance is perfect? I heard it also makes a difference with a strap. I have a cheapie Ernie Ball with a seatbelt pad from my autozone.

Makelele

Reaction score
The body on the S-series isn't really as light as it looks. My 540S weighs as much as my former guitar-teachers Strat, and also about the same as my Jackson DX7.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The S7420s rule, period. They are very well balanced and have the most comfortable seven neck and body I have played to date. The LoTRS7 trem is the only potential downside, but I've had no trouble with mine and if you're really into whammy acrobatics you can always direct swap it out for an OFR7.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i played one of those teal s7420's at gc when they came out, it was very sweet, i even thought about the balance issue as well, but it wasnt a problem, my s7320 ships today, i cant wait!, but the only downsides are that the pups arnt up to snuff for the connisuer, and as mentioned before, the trem doesnt seem to be the best

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have one and I love it, it's a great guitar. Remember, I sold my '98 UV777BK to get this guitar back in 2002-2003 and it was the last to leave the factory (or so I was told). Ever since i've had it, i've had no problems at all with the Lo Trs. It's really my best sounding 7 I should say. Mahogany sounds alot richer and deeper than basswood. :agreed:

sbody2.jpg

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
i love my S7, it isn't my main guitar because shes my baby, and my veteran RG7 is my workhorse. the neck feels a litle faster on the S though, and even with the stock V series pups the mahogany bodys character still shines through. the distorted tones are so detailed, and even though it's this, the tone is very ballsy.

Nats

Reaction score
awesome friggin guitar. the balance is perfect, although i never recall hearing about that being an issue. people say the trem is the only downside. i don't use mine so i wouldn't know. i just put D activators in it over the weekend and now it's more badass than it was. i just need to set it up a little better cause i'm getting some fret buzz after changing the strings when i swapped pickups the other day

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am more inclined towards the S7420 as

a) it would be older and thus a bit easier on my wallet
b) it has the original Wizard I neck. dont like the wizard II neck.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I love the neck too. It has the bubinga stripe and it's the only 7 I have that has one. It's such an awesome guitar. :agreed:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What about the body? Anyone ever think that it was too thin and that it might crack if dropped?

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What's this about balance issue? :spock: I've never had that problem with mine or any others i've played for that matter. :agreed:

The body is perfect.

DSCF0459.jpg

:yesway:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's this about balance issue? :spock: I've never had that problem with mine or any others i've played for that matter. :agreed:
Glad to hear that Shawn. I was browsing the archives on the forums and found one or two people complain about the balance...thus it just got me concerned.

Makelele

Reaction score
What about the body? Anyone ever think that it was too thin and that it might crack if dropped?

At least my S is built like a tank compared to any RG I've ever seen. I'm constantly bumping it into stuff, it has fallen of its stand once, fallen of a chair etc. and there aren't even any dings that go through the paint, whereas my brother's RG550 looks like it's been runover by a truck. Oh, my 540S is 17 years old, while my brother's RG550 is about 6 or 7 years old. Don't know about the newer ones though.

Nats

Reaction score
Glad to hear that Shawn. I was browsing the archives on the forums and found one or two people complain about the balance...thus it just got me concerned.

i know it's an issue with the AX7221 and AX7521, but never any other ibanez body style. hope that helps

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score

I see. This guitar is well balanced. In fact, it is the most comfortable guitar I own. Seriously. It feels so right when you're playing it. :yesway:

i know it's an issue with the AX7221 and AX7521, but never any other ibanez body style. hope that helps

Exactly. I noticed it with those. :agreed:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great - thanks guys - thats one concern out of the way.

Now as for pickups - are the stock ones decent? I mean Im no rock star but how do they compare to the stock pups of say the RG7421 series?

Would a PAF-7 work in here?? I have one left over from a friends K-7 that was planning on installing in my first guitar, the DR-7, then my ibby but it never happened.

Latest posts

')