Ibanez s970

• Thread starter reklawhcaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gamsl

Reaction score
I've got one of the S970CWs. It sure is a beaut though. The pickups are nothing special at all. The hardware isn't great either. Got a Rusty pot and screws with blown threads :(
In all likelyhood picked up a dud. Its a first run though so the newer ones may be better.
If you're looking at what the S series has to offer, I'd say don't bother with the Premiums and go straight for a Prestige.

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
I have a couple old 90's MIJ models I like. I really wish they had 24 frets. I can get a really good deal on a like new s970w ($500). How's the neck compare to a prestige? Worth an extra 5-600 to pass on this? Thanks

rapterr15

Reaction score
I don't think the Wenge/Bubinga necked premiums are available in the U.S. I have a Premium RG with a Wenge/Bubinga neck, but I bought it in Hong Kong. It does kick ass. Very smooth and fast and it has a more natural feel than my maple necked Prestige which has a satin finish. I don't know what kind of finish the Wenge has, but it's awesome.

If you're planning on getting a premium, it might be a good idea to try to some out at music shops if possible. They can be hit or miss. I played some pretty average ones as far as fretwork, but mine totally kills and when I picked it up it just felt right.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
I own one. Good guitars, sound great and play well - caveat, mine has Evos in it. I just can't stand Ibanez necks so I'm selling it. :/

SSK0909

Reaction score
I don't know how used S guitars are priced in then states.
But in Europe you can buy the old made in Japan prestiges for a little less than what the premium models cost new.

The old made in Japan S540 models are truly superior to all the new S models. There was once a thread on the Ibanez forum, where all the difference were covered, even into the small details (Neck pockets, soldering quality etc).

The S series never sold as well as the RG series, so sadly they took a nosedive en quality and became somewhat of a B+ series :(

Dentom79

Reaction score
I would have been all over the S-models if it wasn't for the constant use of pickup rings and the big black piece of plastic underneath the pickup switch.

Come to think of it, Ibanez did fix the pickup rings cover with the SV series. Damn, now i'm gassing for a SV, thanks OP! :lol:

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
Yeah I have an S540BMAV I love. I ended up snagging a premium for pretty cheap. Its nice to look at but Id say its close to my S540 with some obvious technological differences haha

Oh yeah I like SV series too! They're sweet!

Latest posts

')