Ibanez six28fdbg string gauge questions

• Thread starter nikolaihall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikolaihall

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been a long time reader on this forum but have never actually owned an extended range guitar.
So anyways I finally took the plunge and ordered an 8 string from my local guitar shop, I had been talking to a builder about possibly having one made and then Ibanez went and released this thing that is almost exactly what I was after (minus fanned frets). My question is in regards to string gauges, I've searched and searched and have found a lot of different answers. It has a 27" scale length and I plan on tuning it E-B-G-D-A-E-B-E. I was thinking I would order a Circle K 10-57 set + an individual .079 to keep the tension balanced. Would this cause any issues with the tuners/bridge or anything else like that?

Im open to any suggestions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
For Drop E in a 27" scale guitar using a .010 for the first string the tension will be more or less balanced about a .094 for the low E. 79 is a bit floopy even for standard F#.

I am using an elixir bass string .085 for Drop F with a 9-42+56 for the other strings...

BodyOrigami

Reaction score
I have the same guitar and tune it f#-c#-f#-b-d#-g#-b-e, using a 86-9 set from circle k. You will need at least a 90 on the low end and i wouldn't go any higher than a 9 on the high end. Thats my opinion and preferance of tension.
You will need to drill out the tuner on the low E and possibly widen the nut a bit. But the bridge will fit larger strings(an 86 fits through it without issue). Then you will just need a proper set up and you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

')