Ibanez UV777 Pickups. Advice please.

Reaction score
Can any one tell me about the relative Quality of the Blaze II pick ups on my UV made in 1997?

Specifically , If money were no object what would you swap out of the UV with and why ?

Also any links to comparisons between your choice and the current pick ups would be appreciated =)

I'm aim for Symphony X , Scar Symmetry , Periphery type tones and play alot of Sweep picked arpeggios and Tap Arpeggios (My alt picking is some what weak so i like to legato and cheat some speed ! ha)

I'll be using a Line 6 pod x3 live the majority of the time , but my friend lets me use his ENGL invader 100 so if you keep this in mind with your suggestions it might help refine what Pickup choice you'd suggest if any.

Thanks !

Mark =)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The Blaze IIs as far as I know are a myth. They said that both the Universe and the 7620/7621 had Blaze IIs. The 7620/7621 have DiMarzio New 7s (which actually aren't bad imo) and I'm not sure what the Universe actually has so I won't speak on it, but I know it's not a Blaze II because it never existed. :lol:

What would I put in my axe? DiMarzio Blaze Custom in the bridge and a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck. The Liquifire is SMOOOOOOOOOTH. That's the only word I can use to describe it. Smooth as hell. And the Blaze Custom is hot and fat. It's almost neck and neck with the Evo 7 and the D Sonic 7 for my fav 7 string bridge pups but I think I like the Blaze Custom just the TINIEST bit more than those other two because to me it just sounds balsier... And the highs on the other two sound a little bit thin in comparison to my ears.

Hope you found that at least semi helpful. :D

Reaction score
The Blaze IIs as far as I know are a myth. They said that both the Universe and the 7620/7621 had Blaze IIs. The 7620/7621 have DiMarzio New 7s (which actually aren't bad imo) and I'm not sure what the Universe actually has so I won't speak on it, but I know it's not a Blaze II because it never existed. :lol:

What would I put in my axe? DiMarzio Blaze Custom in the bridge and a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck. The Liquifire is SMOOOOOOOOOTH. That's the only word I can use to describe it. Smooth as hell. And the Blaze Custom is hot and fat. It's almost neck and neck with the Evo 7 and the D Sonic 7 for my fav 7 string bridge pups but I think I like the Blaze Custom just the TINIEST bit more than those other two because to me it just sounds balsier... And the highs on the other two sound a little bit thin in comparison to my ears.

Yes I heard something like this too ! haha

Apparently theyre just normal Dimarzio Blaze pickups but the Blaze II was publicity error or something ? I think I read something like that on jemsite.com =)

guitarplayerone

Reaction score

wait, there is a seven-string liquifire?

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
dude and +1 on the blaze custom for bridge. That's what I have in the guitar in this little picture over here

<---------

btw- is this the 'new air norton' that JP uses which is higher output? Because that would just be totally insane. I didn't know they were out there

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
dude and +1 on the blaze custom for bridge. That's what I have in the guitar in this little picture over here

<---------

btw- is this the 'new air norton' that JP uses which is higher output? Because that would just be totally insane. I didn't know they were out there
I use it as a standalone in my RG7421. LOVE it. It's a toss up between that and the Evo. I love em both and I think sometimes I'm more in the mood for the Blaze Custom but other times I'm more in the mood for the Evo. I think the Blaze Custom just seems to be a little ballsier (more ballsy...?) and the Evo is just a fuckin' screamer.

Reaction score
Thanks =) I really appreciate all the info , I was wondering if I change the pickups for something modern will it devalue the guitar in question ? My UV has already been modded with a Killswitch which makes me think its been re-wired ?

walleye

Reaction score
Yes I heard something like this too ! haha

Apparently theyre just normal Dimarzio Blaze pickups but the Blaze II was publicity error or something ? I think I read something like that on jemsite.com =)

could they have possibly called the blaz custom bridge, the blaze II ?

')