Ibanez zero point system help

guitarforlife

Reaction score
so i was on here a few days ago asking a question and on the advice of others i took the ZPS out the back of my guitar ( ibanez rg920qmz ), so the problem is when i depress the bar and release the guitar goes out of tune, but if i pull up on the bar it will go back in tune, so basically if i go down on the bar i have to return to close to normal pitch then i have to raise the bar above normal pitch then release the bar to get it to go back in tune
so i have to pull up on the bar after depressing the bar for it to return to the zero point

could i fix this by tightening the springs in the back, but then if i do that and pull up on the bar would the pitch be above normal?

or should i just take it to the tech and ask him to set it up?

but i will say i asked the tech about taking the ZPS out before and he said that i should still be able to flutter with the bar in and that the bar only comes into play when you heavily depress the bar, but i notice that the flutters flutter a lot more with the bar out

also note that other people have taken the ZPS out and their guitar stays in tune just fine

also side question: in the back of the guitar there is a shaft ( where the trem arm goes in on the other side ) and a little hex screw on the back of the shaft, what does this do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
There are a couple of possible causes to your issue.

1.) Have you checked the relative angle of the trem baseplate to the body of the guitar? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on the Edge Zero, it should be as close to parallel as possible. The "thumb wheel" on the back of the body is used to adjust this angle. (Be sure to re-tune every time you adjust this.)

2.) The locking pads on the nut might not be tight enough. Be careful not to over-tighten though.

3.) The truss rod might be in the position to where it's not putting pressure on the neck. If it is a double-acting truss rod (which I think Ibanez uses), the truss rod can put bow or back-bow pressure on the neck.

4.) The screws that hold the neck onto the body might be a little loose.

The little hex screw (if I'm understanding you) adjusts the looseness of the trem arm. Some guys like to use the trem arm and then have it fall quickly out of the way, perpendicular to the ground. Some guys like to have the trem arm in the same location at all times, kinda parallel to the ground/strings. If you tighten this screw, it will make the bar stay in place.

guitarforlife

Reaction score
There are a couple of possible causes to your issue.

1.) Have you checked the relative angle of the trem baseplate to the body of the guitar? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on the Edge Zero, it should be as close to parallel as possible. The "thumb wheel" on the back of the body is used to adjust this angle. (Be sure to re-tune every time you adjust this.)

2.) The locking pads on the nut might not be tight enough. Be careful not to over-tighten though.

3.) The truss rod might be in the position to where it's not putting pressure on the neck. If it is a double-acting truss rod (which I think Ibanez uses), the truss rod can put bow or back-bow pressure on the neck.

4.) The screws that hold the neck onto the body might be a little loose.

The little hex screw (if I'm understanding you) adjusts the looseness of the trem arm. Some guys like to use the trem arm and then have it fall quickly out of the way, perpendicular to the ground. Some guys like to have the trem arm in the same location at all times, kinda parallel to the ground/strings. If you tighten this screw, it will make the bar stay in place.

1.) i did all that and re-tuned and dive bombed a few times now its working just fine, i also tightened the wheel on the back a little bit, ill see how it holds up tomorrow, because i only played with it for a little while

2.) thank you for telling me about the little hex screw, ive been trying to figure out how to keep my trem arm in the same spot for a while now, some people told me to put glad wrap on it ( didn't work ) so once again thanks for the post

guitarforlife

Reaction score

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
So, I just opened up my RGA420Z, and you're right. I was confusing your description with an Edge Lo-Pro trem (my favorite trem of all time) which has a pop-in trem bar, and thus the bar-tensioner screw.

I honestly have no idea what the screw in question is used for! LOL. It looks like it's part of the arm-holder construction. Since I still have my ZPS Bar in, it's too hard to noodle around in that tight cavity (no sexual jokes, please). Interestingly enough, your screw is a hex screw, and my screw is a phillips head screw. Ibanez, you is crazy!

')