Ibanez's marketting group think we're idiots?

• Thread starter BeyondAntares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
Assuming the paragraph in the OP is not being taken out of context (LP or LTD EC being mentioned in reference to the Ibanez somewhere else in story), I don't care how you try and justify it, Ibanez is lame for calling a 25" scale guitar extended.

so to the OP.. :yesway:

Among almost all guitars that any of us would consider being a part of the discussion of scale length, I think its safe to say that 24.75" LP scale is a short scale.. I mean, consider what 24.75" scale length is relative to in the market of guitars... 25", 25.5", 26", 26.5" 27".. etc.. 24.75" is not extended, long, standard.. its short and so is the 25" Ibanez.

Now, the the evolution of the guitar has changed the game over the years and I understand that.. but so should any marketing manager when making statements judging scale length.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone pointed this out already, but the thread title is pretty ironic. I don't think there's much to get your knickers in a knot about here. By putting something like that in the description of the product, they're promoting the idea of extended scale. Most people who read that will think "what the fuck, extended scale?" and will promptly be confronted with an aspect of guitar construction that they never knew about before. The flow on effect from this is really only going to mean that a lot more people will know about extended scales, some of those people will then investigate further into even longer scale length guitars and their benefits, and maybe one day down the track we'll all get more options from Ibanez's catalogue when it comes to ERG's and baritone instruments.

that's how I'm gonna choose to look at this anyways.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
Lmao

I was expecting a two post reply going

" omgwtfbbq them marketting ppl - do they even play teh Geetarz!?1"
or

" C'mon Ibanez have had better marketting campaigns throughout the 80's with shred, 90's with nu metal, 2000's with uber brootoolz metalcore!"
Lol this thread blew up into a 4 page off topic war agains tunning to b in 24.75 or 30" ?!?!

Honestly the artcore series isn;t a bad guitar - but even at 25" i wouldn't consider it an extended or long range scale. Its pretty standard in my eyes. I posted this in the entended range forum because hey this is marketted as extended when it's clearly not.

As for the trends guitarists fall for - well shoot me - all guitarists jump on some sort of trend.

I grew up with big kids who still rock tight jeans and mullets and blast alice in chains down the road, Nu metal was the beez neez in my day, i teach metal core to kids when I'd compare lamb of God to britney spears in my list of awesome artists.

I too fell for the sevenstring.org hype, where I must have CL/LF combo, BKP's and must own a Jcustom. Hell I used to post in the JEM/UV thread at Jemsite since I was 21.

It all changed when my guitar teacher blew me away with his chops - with 3-4mil action, stock V1, V2, S pickups and a standard amp and a 1980's RG550. He plays along to full vai and satch albums - wtf!.

So guys relax - 24.75 is fine for some, 30" is fine for others. There's a market for both worlds. Its just that a company may know where there market exisits, but may not market their products in the best possible way.

now make peace damnit.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Lmao

I was expecting a two post reply going

or

Lol this thread blew up into a 4 page off topic war agains tunning to b in 24.75 or 30" ?!?!

Honestly the artcore series isn;t a bad guitar - but even at 25" i wouldn't consider it an extended or long range scale. Its pretty standard in my eyes. I posted this in the entended range forum because hey this is marketted as extended when it's clearly not.

As for the trends guitarists fall for - well shoot me - all guitarists jump on some sort of trend.

I grew up with big kids who still rock tight jeans and mullets and blast alice in chains down the road, Nu metal was the beez neez in my day, i teach metal core to kids when I'd compare lamb of God to britney spears in my list of awesome artists.

I too fell for the sevenstring.org hype, where I must have CL/LF combo, BKP's and must own a Jcustom. Hell I used to post in the JEM/UV thread at Jemsite since I was 21.

It all changed when my guitar teacher blew me away with his chops - with 3-4mil action, stock V1, V2, S pickups and a standard amp and a 1980's RG550. He plays along to full vai and satch albums - wtf!.

So guys relax - 24.75 is fine for some, 30" is fine for others. There's a market for both worlds. Its just that a company may know where there market exisits, but may not market their products in the best possible way.

now make peace damnit.

What I find funny too is you get pedantic arseholes that go into great depth to explain why 25.5" is "fine" for an 8 string just so they can stroke their e penises.

Just no.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score

That would be a great combo.... J.Custom with CL/LF... it's prolly hyped/popular because they're great pieces of gear and this is mostly a metal forum.

Im sure the Blues/Country forums hype up some sort of noisless pups/twangy pups combined with a USA Custom Strat or Suhr.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
What I find funny too is you get pedantic arseholes that go into great depth to explain why 25.5" is "fine" for an 8 string just so they can stroke their e penises.

Just no.
tell me about it - I don't get how anyone would consider getting a custom 8 string at 25.5" wtf.

That would be a great combo.... J.Custom with CL/LF... it's prolly hyped/popular because they're great pieces of gear and this is mostly a metal forum.

Im sure the Blues/Country forums hype up some sort of noisless pups/twangy pups combined with a USA Custom Strat or Suhr.

Lol i have BKP's in my jcustom. Honestly the aftermaths lack the added crunch compared to CL/LF. Misha was right - that BKP's do market the aftermaths as high output when they are slighltly less output than Dimarzio's. However what they lack in output they make up with clarity and quietness.

The CL/LF combo is solid - but i do miss my PAF Pro clean tone :(.

But thats another whinge story for the jemsite forums.

Guitarman700

Reaction score

Just no.

Maybe it's because people like you who post in EVERY thread like this throwing around misinformation about scale length. I know people on this board do fine with 25.5. Just because you had a bad experience with one guitar does not mean that everyone will. That's a logical fallacy.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Ever hear the saying "Everything is relative"? 25" IS an extended scale relative to the guitar in question like many others have already said. It's not that serious. This is one of those situations where my dad would tell me, "As long as YOU know better, leave it at that." :shrug:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
tell me about it - I don't get how anyone would consider getting a custom 8 string at 25.5" wtf.

Lol i have BKP's in my jcustom. Honestly the aftermaths lack the added crunch compared to CL/LF. Misha was right - that BKP's do market the aftermaths as high output when they are slighltly less output than Dimarzio's. However what they lack in output they make up with clarity and quietness.

The CL/LF combo is solid - but i do miss my PAF Pro clean tone :(.

But thats another whinge story for the jemsite forums.

Perhaps when they say high output they mean high output RELATIVE to the rest of their line of pickups... :idea:

Yea... I might use that word one more time. :lol:

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
Ever hear the saying "Everything is relative"? 25" IS an extended scale relative to the guitar in question like many others have already said. It's not that serious. This is one of those situations where my dad would tell me, "As long as YOU know better, leave it at that." :shrug:

"Relative" to this, a 24" scale Fender Jaguar is "extended". And since "everything is relative," I believe it to be pertinent to the argument.

Just because you could probably tune a .175 gauge bass string on a short scale guitar to drop E000 does not mean it is a good idea.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Relative to what? I think you just made a stupid attempt at a smart ass comment. My comment very specifically mentioned that the scale is extended relative to the guitar in question. In other words, that guitar typically does not come in that scale length, thus anything longer is extended FOR THAT GUITAR. Don't be a pain in the ass.

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
Relative to a 1/16 size violin, if you can't see the video.

You can say that any particular kind of guitar's "standard" scale is anything you want, but the point is that there is a scale length range that should generally be considered "extended."

Call me stupid all you want, but a guitar with a shorter scale length than a Stratocaster does not say to me that it is meant to be tuned lower than a factory spec Stratocaster.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Konfy you lose this one, all of the arz guitars are 25" so that points moot as well.

The only thing they tried to do with this to make it perfect for metulz is put emg's in it and paint it black. Now you can drop tune all you want.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Konfy you lose this one, all of the arz guitars are 25" so that points moot as well.

The only thing they tried to do with this to make it perfect for metulz is put emg's in it and paint it black. Now you can drop tune all you want.

You do know that the ARZ guitars are all new, right? The ARZ is the new Artist series which has a scale length of 25" instead of 24.75" like every other Artist before it. The scale length of the ARZ has been extended beyond that of the regular ART for tuning down to Drop Z for maximum chuggas.

chuggachuggac128612485597994187.jpg

breakdown.jpg

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
O MA GAW NO WAI! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT

HERP

Stop trying so desperately to justify ibanez's horrible marketing, if you read the ad it says the arz400t's 25" scale length... etc as they are promoting that specific model for all of this jazz.

That specific model is the newest one... which is the one they are promoting as the drop tuning metal machine!

and I don't need to tell you that .25" isn't going to make a damned difference for tuning lower unless you include semitones...

<insert pictures, feel superior>

')