Ibby type Super Tele....

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Dadgum the auto fill!
I meant "Hidden Jems"
I am so sorry, I just now saw that. I'll try to get on later with the device that I posted that from so I can edit it.
They should make a "hidden JEM", it would look just like a normal RG but have a removable monkey grip insert and a massive sticker over the tree of life.

Omzig

Reaction score
So got the pup cavities routed this afternoon, i do love how clean a new down spiral cutting bit leaves routes!

n4ts7o.jpg

Might have to take the rear route of the floyd cavity back 3-5 mm's as i think the rear locking bolts seem like might catch if there at full extents,that or trim the bolts down and reshape the tips....

Next up neck pocket/round overs and carves.

Omzig

Reaction score
Rear cavities routed (slight tear out will go once i route for recessed covers) and did a light sanding pass to clean up the sides a bit (love finding these little bug holes/dung tracks,i think those little things in all woods help add character ) i did want to get the neck pocket routed and fitted today but it was
7 degrees C even after id had the heater on for a hour so i quit ;)

dca1sj.jpg

12193sg.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devastone

Reaction score
This is awesome! I wish Ibz would make an FR with a trem, even in satin black it would be cool, not as cool as korina, but still cool, I'd buy one!

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
The FR is such a cool shape, it's exactly the take on the t style that I want, but it's just disappointing that the only way to obtain a 7 string version is to build it myself (something I lack both the tools and knowledge for) or to compromise and buy the Iron Label version, which would be perfect for me if it had the RGD scale length, anything but EMG 707s, and wasn't questionable on the QC front.

devastone

Reaction score
I wish Perle Guitars would make one in something other than basswood. I contacted them about doing one in Korina and he won't take custom orders for 7 strings. He has some basswood ones on ebay, but I wanted something that I could do an oil finish on, and basswood is pretty boring for that.

Omzig

Reaction score
Hey all thak for the kind works and feedback :)

Shame you guys are US based i might have been tempted to take up making a few 7 string version of this shape for you ;) crazy shipping cost from the UK to US now,Post Brexit i think it will get better (that's if our "we know better" political class don't fuck things up and keeps us shackled to the EU....do get me started lol)

It's strange that Ibanez don't utilize this body shape in more config's....oh well not the first thing ive had to build that i couldn't buy i doubt it will be the last ;)

Progress!

Necks on,to quote DLR "nice tight fit"

mmfor9.jpg

Will need to re-profile the heel edge a little,seems my neck access joint is a little sharper that ibanez'es !

bgefl5.jpg

Stopped the reveal carve about at about 40/60% base/top because it was about to turn into a "Jeff/Rad" bevel!,still needs a little sharpening on the edge my thinks.

2j0gpxi.jpg

same for the tummy tuck,needs a sharper edge.
2j1lnya.jpg

And im not 100% sure this wood was fumigated as i found this critter dead on my worktop this morning....No way did this come from outside (its like 3 degrees C outside and snowing atm!) strange.

2v0z91f.jpg

Laters
Steve

Omzig

Reaction score
Are you scraping the entire bevel with a razor blade or is that just for cleanup work?

Just clean up work,i take out the bulk with a shinto rasp then sander then a large cabinet scrapper then the razors

Just waiting on a new 14mm bit to arrive to drill/router the neck inserts and then i'll drill the trem posts and do a test fit do some heel/neck re-shaping and final sanding and look at cutting a matching black limba headstock veneer inc boosting the back of the locking nut.

I think im going to go for a Osmo polyoil on this one,im stick to death of flatting out gloss clear coats and i think the oil will look good on this combo.

Omzig

Reaction score
came in to say this is super sick!
Cheers :) :cheers:

So i tried to post this earlier but server errors got in the way...anyhows

Did a few tuning tests with a lubbed nut + locking tuners + floyd over the weekend on another guitar and didn't really like the sability,so i decided id need to extend the shelf to fit a full locking nut.

I ended up using a bit of richlite from an old fretboard i removed a few years back,i found out in the past that this stuff hates tightbond so i justed used some CA,then level/edged it up

97v22q.jpg

Headstock now has a black limba veneer just got it clamped up atm so will trim and re-sort peg holes tomorrow.

Cleaned up the edges on the tuck some,not quite cnc clean but im happy with the result.

aaizaf.jpg

My 14mm hole router bit finally arrived (just going to use it in the drill press) so did the neck screw/ferrules...then realised i hadn't yet done the heel contour...doh

33ng8w6.jpg

So last bit ot shaping and a few more holes to drill then on to final sand and oil.

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
Man, this looks killer. Floyd's aren't really my thing but they sure look nice. I really need to get a guitar with a H-S pickup setup going.
Nice job man!

Omzig

Reaction score
OK not much progress....had to spend the last few days repairing and replacing a couple of fences due to highwinds and rot...blah shitty work but cheaper to DIY ;)

anyhows got it all together and done a quick test setup

mwb1jr.jpg

apart from having to shim the nut and maybe the front of the neck pocket,drill a few holes of wires and earthing its all good to go for final sanding finishing, before that though 1 might take an extra 1mm or so out of the pup routers as they seem a little tight atm.