Iceman 7 Build - It's coming together!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Its not difficult to cut a good truss rod slot...

The way I do it?

I place a fence next to the neck blank and run my router mounted with a straight bit down the neck, the router is guided by the fence (a simple aluminium edge which I clamp on the table) usually 3 times untill I get the proper depth...

If you are building with a headstock with an angle you can shim the bottom of the neck so that the neck lays perfectly flat on the table and use the same fence technique...

I usually double stick the neck on the table for the routing job...

l_472c12248cce4bef9025b1e2acdeea26.jpg
My method is very similar, I have a board thats bolted to one of my benches about 8 inches away from it, and I actually glue my neck blank to the proper spot on the spacer between the board and the table, so the truss rod is well centered, then use the board as my fence and do 3 passes to get my depth. Works quite well. Allows me to do tilt back headstocks too.

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
My method is very similar, I have a board thats bolted to one of my benches about 8 inches away from it, and I actually glue my neck blank to the proper spot on the spacer between the board and the table, so the truss rod is well centered, then use the board as my fence and do 3 passes to get my depth. Works quite well. Allows me to do tilt back headstocks too.

I don't really get it :scratch: Why not clamp the neck?

I'm probaly getting it CNC'd, i haven't decided yet. The body is going to be CNC'd though, so i figured i could include the trussrod aswell.

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
Repost!

Got the fourth and fifth laminate on the neck. Here's yesterday's situation:

bouw070.jpg

With the ash wings

bouw071.jpg

Lower body half, including some feet.

bouw073.jpg

Upper half. Like my grain choice? I went from dense to more open grain on both sides :metal:

bouw074.jpg

A quick outline i did for you guys :yesway:

bouw072.jpg

Note that the wood was just lying, only the neck is glued and it has yet to go though a planer to even things out. Edges are perfectly straight, really love the Luthiers job on this guitar! Also the batteries on my camera were low, so the pictures are a bit blurry.

thecrouss

Reaction score
I'm excited to see how this turns out. I have an Iceman myself, and I'm a big fan. A seven string version would be pretty amazing.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
I don't really get it :scratch: Why not clamp the neck?

I'm probaly getting it CNC'd, i haven't decided yet. The body is going to be CNC'd though, so i figured i could include the trussrod aswell.

Security, for one. Another reason being I don't do neck throughs, so unless I want a lot of waste wood on the end, what am I gonna clamp it to? The method I use makes the most sense for the limited shop I have, and works flawlessly.

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
Security, for one. Another reason being I don't do neck throughs, so unless I want a lot of waste wood on the end, what am I gonna clamp it to? The method I use makes the most sense for the limited shop I have, and works flawlessly.

Ah yes, but you describe it as you've already shaped the neck, but then where are you going to glue it. Ah well, i think i get it now, thanks!

I ordered a dual action Hotrod Trussrod, but i have the idea i'm going to have trouble with installing it. Does it need to be fit as tight as possible? and do i need to secure the non-adjustable end in the neck?

Adam of Angels said:
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents - I think this guitar is going to turn out pretty awesome

:cheers: Thanks for the thumbs up!

Fred said:
Stoked stoked stoked to see this come together, keep on keeping us updated!

I will! :shred:

damigu said:
that looks pretty awesome! can't wait for more updates!

Thanks man!

Andrew_B

Reaction score
lol dont get all mushy on me :lol:

a back plate would have been fugly...
and you want to keep as much wood under the bridge as you can imo....
the hole was just the most simple way i thought of,
and it looks like it will work a charm....

Ps, i want more pics asap :D

')