I'd like to try a Mayones guitar...

• Thread starter Metaguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metaguitarist

Reaction score
I live in Portland, Oregon and have been primarily playing Carvins for the last 8 years. I'm not at all displeased with them, but I am interested in brands u can't find in stores, specifically Mayones. Do you guys have any idea of how I could find one to play? I'd love to see how they compare.

Also, in a couple years I might actually be in the market to just buy one, but it would need to be no more than $1500. Other than ebay and craigslist, where would you guys recommend looking for one to buy around that price range? Or are the bay and cl my only options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Workhorse

Reaction score
There are very few certified stores that carry them, notably in California and MA. Now there are very few brands which actually compare to the Regius in my opinion, in terms of looks, quality and unbelievable clarity and ease of play, Carvins included.

You can always look on this site, there are people who would sell their Mayones for <$1500, you can't get a regius but a Setius is also a fantastic guitar. Ebay does have a few catches (there was one that cost about $1100), but usually there are hard to find.

cipe

Reaction score
I picked my Setius 6 gtm up on the classifieds here for $1100, keep an eye out they pop up on occasion

Tristoner7

Reaction score
Hey Metaguitarist, I don't mean to jack your thread but I've had this same question pertaining to Mayones guitars. I play a couple USA PRSs, can anyone answer how do the Mayones compare in terms of quality, finish and tone?

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
There are very few certified stores that carry them, notably in California and MA. Now there are very few brands which actually compare to the Regius in my opinion, in terms of looks, quality and unbelievable clarity and ease of play, Carvins included.

You can always look on this site, there are people who would sell their Mayones for <$1500, you can't get a regius but a Setius is also a fantastic guitar. Ebay does have a few catches (there was one that cost about $1100), but usually there are hard to find.

Wait, where in MA? Axe Palace?

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, but they never have any in stock when I check with them.

I live near Sacramento, I'd love to drive to San Jose and check some out but I don't know if that is just a distributor or if the guitars are available to check out. I'd imagine at that price though, they are not sitting on the wall ;)

Gilbertsgotbrootz

Reaction score
Mayones straight kill prs all day in anything and everything . The woods are way better the finishes look alot nicer . There fretwork is way better etc etc . I have had a few mayones and a ton of prs everything from mod eagle , to ce 22 - multiple private stocks .. Mayones all the way !

Workhorse

Reaction score
Hey Metaguitarist, I don't mean to jack your thread but I've had this same question pertaining to Mayones guitars. I play a couple USA PRSs, can anyone answer how do the Mayones compare in terms of quality, finish and tone?

I honestly think Mayones are built better since they're semi custom hand made - but you're paying almost double the money. They are both wicked guitars and some PRS models I 've played are unbelievably high quality. The Regius however, is the best I have played (not including BM, Daemoness because I haven't played those).

JP7

Laughs and Shreds
Reaction score
I own a Mayones Regius 7. If you call Mayones USA and come to california San jose they will let you play some. I can only speak for the Regius Model. Chris Campbell is very nice and will help you if you call he is more than happy to let you play one in the shop.

A little about the guitar. The tension of strings is balanced and the height of the action when you get it is decently low 1.5mm. Not only was the action low but the guitar did not buzz which was amazing especially on the low B string. The fretboard radius is 17" so it is close to flat and gives amazing space for tapping and for chording. The Regius I got is the standard medium nickel fret. Similar to gibson fret size. As far as the sound unplugged the guitar is super loud. I have the maple-mahogany-amazkoe-wenge neck and also have chambered mahogany body. The chambered mahogany can chime if you put too much gain but the guitar is wonderfully light from the chambering and high quality wood. Every string pops equally and when I eq my guitar its so balanced I can make it fit into anything. The guitar is very hi-fi and chimey so it sounds great for standard rock. I like that the neck length is 25.4 instead of standard 25.5 it makes it a hair warmer. Neck profile is like a soft D it's great for chording and if you don't have the biggest hands. I noticed rounder necks work better with my small hands. It is similar to schecter/gibson sizing but profiled way better all around. Some details hope you get to try one tho!

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the SJ/playing. I was wondering about that.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Didnt try mine, Bought it straight from a shop without trying.

Best decision ever!

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
If you have the cash, you could always buy one on ebay from someone who offers a return policy; so if you don't like it, just return it. Just an idea.

Meddl

Reaction score
i bought mine without trying, too.. best decision this year, hell yeah.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
If it comforts you, I haven't heard a of single person being dissatisfied with a Mayones once they received their guitar (regardless of the model). To me, that speaks volumes. I bet if you were to drop some money on it you wouldn't be disappointed.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
I basically went in blind to acquire my first Mayones... and I had to trade my two best guitars to get it. I haven't regretted it once. If you're having trouble finding one to try out, I'm hopefully moving up to the Seattle area soon and I wouldn't mind letting you test drive some of mine if you're ever in the area.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Some of the misconception and hype that people are willing to build on these forums around higher end guitars NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Mayones kills PRS in everything and anything? Good joke...

Are mayones very high quality and immaculately built guitars? Of course! Very unique design and great attention to detail. However, so is PRS, along with other equal quality brands.

Some people have to realize that past a certain point of build quality, there are no absolutes. No brand is 100% better than the other. For you personal preferences, sure, that can be the case. But we have these options because certain people prefer certain things, and each brand caters to different preferences based on their philosophies as builders.

Just food for thought, coming from someone that has owned guitars from just about everyone possible...some people make it seem like these imported custom instruments will change your life just because. If mayones gives you something that other guitars you've played have not, it's quite possible, as they're great instruments. However, if you have a good guitar you like, don't expect it to be a night and day difference. It's just a different guitar.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some of the misconception and hype that people are willing to build on these forums around higher end guitars NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Mayones kills PRS in everything and anything? Good joke...

Yeah this is the same guy that was saying Suhrs feel cheap and have veneers and Mayones kill them...

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
I basically went in blind to acquire my first Mayones... and I had to trade my two best guitars to get it. I haven't regretted it once. If you're having trouble finding one to try out, I'm hopefully moving up to the Seattle area soon and I wouldn't mind letting you test drive some of mine if you're ever in the area.

You're going to be one lighter when you leave the Aina Bra!

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score

:agreed:... once you cross the threshold into the realm of high end guitars like Mayones, Suhr, PRS, TAG, etc, you're likely to find some pretty amazing attributes that could prob not be had with lesser production guitars, but these things are still built by people. I'm pretty sure no one can claim that they've put in 110% at work everyday, and that no doubt applies to luthiers and builders too. For the amount that they charge they obviously should try their best to deliver a stellar product, and the fact that these builders still sell their products in droves can attest to the fact that while there maybe lemons and there may also be people that just plain don't like their guitars, there are obviously a lot more people that really like what they each have to offer.

')