Idea for 8 string tuning - Input please!

• Thread starter Riffmagus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffmagus

Reaction score
I'm pondering changing my 8 string tuning - and wondered if anyone has tried this on their 8....

The B,E,A,D,G,B is to become C# standard - so C# F# B E G# C#

This leaves the F# and E up for grabs.

Any ideas? *the sky's the limit really*

I guess I can tune the F# to G# and take it from there. Gawd knows what the E will do.

Any recommendations on string guages for the C# set would be great - I used to use 12-56 on my old six string. But have a feeling this could be a little too taught on an ERG...

And, if anyone's interested C# is just what I call my 'ultimate' riff writing tuning. I just love the sound and feel of it - if that makes sense - and any way that makes getting those riffs out of my head and onto the fretboard is good with me! Always reminds me of the first time I jammed along to some old Black Sabbath and Down. \m/

THE POWER OF THE RIFF COMPELS ME!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I'm guessing you'd be tuning up, right?

If my guess is right, then you may wanna get an Octave4Plus string for your high C#

I'll let everyone else come in on the other stuff.

EDIT:

I just completely misread the whole thing!! I thought you were tuning your F# to C#!!

What you could do is just have F#-E tuning a step up? So it'd be G# C# F# B E G# C# F#

pink freud

Reaction score
If you don't really care what you do with the top string, you could duplicate the high C#, for drone type sounds.

Riffmagus

Reaction score
Mmmmm. Drone - SOLD!

I'm quickly realising that I shall never be a Meshuggah / Djent riffmaster. So I'm just falling back on the feel and pedal tones of Doom on the 8 string. The new Pelican record is mighty fine.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Mmmmm. Drone - SOLD!

I'm quickly realising that I shall never be a Meshuggah / Djent riffmaster. So I'm just falling back on the feel and pedal tones of Doom on the 8 string. The new Pelican record is mighty fine.

Letting go of attempting to duplicate the sounds of others is how you come up with something totally original on your own anyway. :hbang:

')