Idea for an 8 string tuning

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
So I'm planning on getting an 8 myself later this year, and I was thinking about tunings I could use. I'm not a very good soloist, but I can impro quite well in open tunings. I was thinking of tuning the high B and e strings a whole step down so its basically like open G tuning. The whole tuning would be like this:

F#
B
E
A
D
G
A
D

I think it would open up possibilities for soloing, I love the middle eastern sound you can get from open G. You can still do the low chugga shit and you have a nice palette for higher stuff. Could even tune down another half step etc. I'm definately going to experiment with this when I get an 8.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
This has little to do with the theoretical aspect of your tuning, but I think that the slightly decreased pitch of the treble strings will help to counter the "cold and piercing" tone that is typical of extended scale guitars (which most 8-strings are).

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Out of interest - what 8 string you thinking of getting?

Was going to get an RG2228, but after playing one a few more times, I decided to wait a while.

This has little to do with the theoretical aspect of your tuning, but I think that the slightly decreased pitch of the treble strings will help to counter the "cold and piercing" tone that is typical of extended scale guitars (which most 8-strings are).

Never thought about that, but I imagine you could be right.

')