Idea for my new 7 string

• Thread starter blues-core
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues-core

Reaction score
Been trying with the idea of another 7string for a few weeks and here is the spec I've come up with.
  • 28-5/8" Scale thru-neck Maple with dark wood stripes and a Ken Lawrence style headstock
  • Maple or Ebony fretboard, s/s frets, side dots only except for a flame inlay (like the Jackons DKMGTFF) on the 12 fret
  • Explorer Body, mahogany with a Chechen or koa top (if a piece big enough isn’t stupid money), Black binding on body only
  • Hipshot 7 string bridge
  • Sperzel Locking tuners
  • 2 volume & toggle switch in the same position as the Ken Lawrence explorers
  • H/H or P90 setup with Bareknuckle Ceramic Warpig in the bridge and a (if I can get one made) Swinehead SH90 (Swineshead Pickups - SH90 Single Coil for Electric Guitar)
  • All black hardware

So a 7 string baritone version of this -ESP at bmusic.com.au - Readers Rigs - SYL's Ken Lawrence Explorer
Although a spalted maple top could be quite cool (ESP at bmusic.com.au - Readers Rigs - SYL's Ken Lawrence Explorer)

It's this man's fault that I've been lusting after a KL explorer since seing a live video of him using one, but I can justify spending the $6+ on one and I'm not sure Ken would make a 7 string.

Trying to decide if I build it myself (buy in the neck as I don’t have the equipment for that), the only thing that is putting me off is joining the wings and setting the neck angle (if any is needed with that bridge) as I've only built bolt-on necked guitar bodys to this point.

Does have any recomendation who may be able to build somthing like this and what sort of price I'd be looking at? I've considers Feline guitars but with the strength of the pound at the moment I may get a better deal from the US or europe.

I'm going to have a go at making a mockup in Autocad or Illustrator this week and will post the results to give everyone a better idea of what I'm after

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
not a huge fan of the headstock but that is one fine explorer! :yesway:

NeVeR

Asshole
Reaction score
Sounds to be awesome.

I would definitely go with a spalted maple top.

intereo_luuk

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the explorer shape, but the Ken Lawrence are really awesome.
Owned a ESP Explorer STD for over a year.. but got sick of the annoying shape when sitting on a chair and playing. On stage it looks very metal \m/

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds nice, but with that scale and shape will be neck-heavy as hell :agreed:

')