Idea for neck pickup

• Thread starter blues-core
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues-core

Reaction score
I've decided I really need to change the stock pickups in my S7320. I'm going for Bare Knuckle pickups and I'm pretty much sold on a ceramic warpig for the bridge (hopefully with hex bolts) but its the neck pickup that's troubling me.

One of my favorite 6 strings I have is a RG565 with a singlecoil in the neck and I was looking to do something similar with the S7. I was going to see if Tim would wind a 7 string version of an 'Irish Tour' onto the top bobbin of the pickup but that would leave the other bobbin empty, so the idea I had would be to ask if he could wind the other coil to have a similar tone to an 'Apache'.That way I could use a push/push on the tone pot to let me switch between an overwound, 'Texas' type tone for lead stuff and a more bell like sound of an Apache for clean playing. Seem to remember that Dimarzio offered a type of pickup for 6s but I can't remmeber which it was for the life of me.

Is there any technical reason why this wouldn't? Let me know if you think it's a terrible idea and I should go back to the drawing board with my pickup config.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
your ideas are nice :agreed: go for it if he will make such pickup for you :)

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing if I'm understanding you correctly (two single coils side by side in a humbucker sized package) and if Tim agrees to do that, PM me, because I'll definitely get a Sultan+Trilogy.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Seem to remember that Dimarzio offered a type of pickup for 6s but I can't remmeber which it was for the life of me.

i forget the name, but it was similar to the motherbucker in nature.
it had 4 coils, it was simply a fasttrack and a chopper put in a humbucker sized casing. 8 conducter wiring for the confusing diagram win!
it was a decent pickup and all, but eh

Emiliano

true DJENTleman
Reaction score
i forget the name, but it was similar to the motherbucker in nature.
it had 4 coils, it was simply a fasttrack and a chopper put in a humbucker sized casing. 8 conducter wiring for the confusing diagram win!
it was a decent pickup and all, but eh

i think that you mean the dimarzio megadrive
it was really a monster pickup, 4blade side by side :shred:

why do not wind the second coil in rw/rp so if you use both coil you get
a full humbucker?:idea:

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
actually it is the Dimarzio MULTIbucker... it is still available as a special order through Dimarzio, and you can get different variations of it... Fast Track 1/ Chopper... Fast Track 1/ Pro Track, etc...

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i think i had an idea kinda like that before, but whatever it was, this idea sounds better :lol:

let us know how it develops!!

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
i think that you mean the dimarzio megadrive
it was really a monster pickup, 4blade side by side :shred:

why do not wind the second coil in rw/rp so if you use both coil you get
a full humbucker?:idea:

the megadrive wasnt that :scratch:
the megadrive was another seriously sweet pickup that for some reason i'll never quite understand, dimarzio discontinued. it wasnt a 4 blade though, it was a standard slug coil and a bar coil. looked identical to the dsonic. they even say on the dimarzio page about the dsonic something to the key of "you may notice a resemblance to the old megadrive, but this pickup is totally different"
If I ever got access to the Dimarzio custom shop, First pickup id get would be a 7 string fred, followed by a 7 string megadrive. That pickup fucking rocked. then maybe a REAL 7 string tonezone just for kicks

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
actually it is the Dimarzio MULTIbucker... it is still available as a special order through Dimarzio, and you can get different variations of it... Fast Track 1/ Chopper... Fast Track 1/ Pro Track, etc...

*choral noise*
YOU SERIOUS?? you can get any 2 doublerails put in one?!?! holy shit!
I have a sudden desire to get a Tonezone S/Air Norton S for the bridge of my incoming DKMGT. Oh my god thats fucking awesome. I've seen it on musicians friend a few times as a Fasttrack/Cruiser combo, but nothing else. Man. you just made my freakin daynight

So. back on topic. Actually, ask tim about that, im really curious as to what hed say. I know, somewhat similarly, the Riogrande 7 String Muy Grande humbuckers are just two Muy Grande 7 single coils put right next to eachother. i wonder if he could mix match...
[action="ibznorange"]walks away to continue scheming in privacy[/action]

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember the Kramer Quad Rails on their MusicYo models have two dual rail pickups, a friend of mine had one.......sounded godawful, then again you could coil split them........down to a humbucker (sounds so weird saying that).

I'd personally be interested in seeing what two YJM's sound like together meself......

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
the yjm isnt dual rails :scratch:
still, probably sound cool, but the yjm just doesnt sound that special to me. Just sounded like a slightly improved, really good classic strat pickup, and a little hotter. I suspect it would sound like a hotter Rio Grande Muy Grande Humbucker

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I know YJM aint dual rails, I'm just more curious as to what two together in a humbucker configuration would be like, an interesting mix if nothing else.

I've half a feeling the dual-dual rail thing might be a bit overkill, though its worth trying anyway :)

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I know YJM aint dual rails, I'm just more curious as to what two together in a humbucker configuration would be like, an interesting mix if nothing else.

I've half a feeling the dual-dual rail thing might be a bit overkill, though its worth trying anyway :)

Eh, it wouldnt be as much as an x2n. shit, i think the highest output dual rails they make would total out to like 560 or something (in series). id most likely use it with a dp3t switch and have a switchable bridge pickup. you know, something like bridge pickup, both in series, and ....necK? pickup

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
see, my off-the-cuff ideas get the Apophis Seal o Approval from Sebastian.
Just emailed dimarzio, i'll see how much my TZs/ANs combo multibucker will cost tomorrow (if they'll do it, at least

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how this sounds, if it works, I may have a go with it myself :D

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
They stopped offering it even as special order in november. i want to cry :(

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously like Killed my Hopes and Dreams for the new jackson lol.
I was kinda a bit torn about Airnorton vs Tonezone for the bridge pickup. I think i might actually have to just construct my own deal out of a pair of em

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
:idea: i wonder if the Seymour Duncan custom shop would be able and willing to do something similar to the multibucker with their rail and Jr. pickups...

where you at Frank F.?

Latest posts

')