Ideal Death Metal Tone

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
I've been using a Digitech Death Metal Pedal in front of a Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack. I would like to hear diverse opinions regarding an ideal Death Metal tone for rythm guitar (kind of like Jack Owen in Scars of the Crucifix or Homage for Satan)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
Hmm... I dunno about the Metal Zone (I'm not particulary fond of my own Digitech either, I got it because it was cheap, lol). I'm curious about pedals like the Marshall Jackhammer or the Pedal Projects Lionheart, but haven't been able to try them

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
If your Raven head has an FX return or line in directly to power amp, then plug in a preamp pedal like:

Amptweaker Tight Metal
AMT SS30 Bulava
AMT Legend 2 Series (ENGL, 5150 or Diezel clone

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
The Tight Metal sounds so sick. It's another one I'm curious in trying.
I'm not sure what do you mean by having an FX return though(I'm an amp noob, as you may have guessed by now. Lol)

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
There is no "ideal" tone. It's entirely subjective. Everyone has their own ideal.

But, I think you might be looking for a Mesa voiced tone. If you want to stick with pedals you could try the Wampler Triple Wreck.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I listened to Homage for Satan quickly just to see what kind of sound you're using as a reference and I immediately thought of Angel of Death, both in terms of the opening riff and the basic tone. Maybe what you're looking for is a very heavily boosted Marshall.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I gotta say, my favorite all around death metal tone is what Dying Fetus gets out of solid state Ampeg amps. It's crisp, tight, aggressive, saturated and works wonderfully for rhythms and leads. It transfers well to live use as they're one of the clearest sounding, tightest death metal live acts around.

I love Cannibal Corpse, but thier tone can be so hit or miss. When they hit the mark, as they've done more frequently recently, it's a close second.

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
There is no "ideal" tone. It's entirely subjective. Everyone has their own ideal.

But, I think you might be looking for a Mesa voiced tone. If you want to stick with pedals you could try the Wampler Triple Wreck.

Yes, exactly. It's entirely subjective. I wanted to read about what other people consider their ideal Death Metal tone, for me it's the tone of Homage for Satan by Deicide (and most of The Stench of Redemption).

I'm loving so far the demos that I've watched about Trenchlord's suggestion

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
I listened to Homage for Satan quickly just to see what kind of sound you're using as a reference and I immediately thought of Angel of Death, both in terms of the opening riff and the basic tone. Maybe what you're looking for is a very heavily boosted Marshall.

Lol, yeah I know. They could be considered the same song :lol: But Homage has an awesome Je ne sais quoi about it, I think it is because Ralph Santolla's expertise on the leads surpasses King and Hanneman (I mean no disrespect with this assertion, I am a huge Slayer fan).

I agree with you a little bit, maybe it's the Marshall sound. But I think there could be other factors in the guitarists' rigs

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
I gotta say, my favorite all around death metal tone is what Dying Fetus gets out of solid state Ampeg amps. It's crisp, tight, aggressive, saturated and works wonderfully for rhythms and leads. It transfers well to live use as they're one of the clearest sounding, tightest death metal live acts around.

I love Cannibal Corpse, but thier tone can be so hit or miss. When they hit the mark, as they've done more frequently recently, it's a close second.

Of course! I almost forgot about DF's awesome tone.
And yes, I too love Cannibal Corpse very much. But I don't like their tone at all, specially in the first albums.

KailM

Reaction score
Buy a 5150/6505/6505+, Boss SD-1, and MXR 10-band EQ and call it a day.

One of my favorite death metal bands/tones is Decapitated, and even though I know their first few albums were recorded with Ampeg Vh140cs, I can totally get that tone with my 5150-modded 6505+. Tight, raw, and most importantly, pissed-off. Everything you need for death metal.

Death metal is too diverse to narrow it down to just one tone though. For those occasions, I step on my HM-2.

Unburdened

Reaction score
For death metal, as mentioned, you can go wrong with the older Ampegs. The ISP Theta and AMT Stonehead are the new 'VH-140C'-type amps. In ten years, everyone will look back and remember them fondly. For me, those three amps are the best death metal tone I've encountered anywhere. I prefer solid state for death metal, but there are also excellent tube candidates. Which leads me to...

DELIVERANCE! I must also throw out a personal favorite by way of the VHT/Fryette Deliverance. Unbelievably articulate, endlessly amusing, and mood permanently befouled, the Deliverance is among the top tier of high gain tube amplification, and creates a death metal tone that reminds me of Gorguts - Obscura (crisp, clean, nothing to hide behind, surgical, precise).

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
Buy a 5150/6505/6505+, Boss SD-1, and MXR 10-band EQ and call it a day.

One of my favorite death metal bands/tones is Decapitated, and even though I know their first few albums were recorded with Ampeg Vh140cs, I can totally get that tone with my 5150-modded 6505+. Tight, raw, and most importantly, pissed-off. Everything you need for death metal.

Death metal is too diverse to narrow it down to just one tone though. For those occasions, I step on my HM-2.

I actually would love a tube amp like the 5150 or the 6505. Maybe someday...

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
I honestly can't stand people who recommend amplifiers that went out of production DECADES ago. Don't be a moron and waste your money on a VH-140c like I did, chances are it's going to be 1) Broken 2)Cosmetically crap 3)Going to break soon due to shaky parts. Buy a newer amplifier that you know is reliable, Peavey is a great option on the affordable side.

vick1000

Reaction score
If you can get a Vypyr 30w head, they are great for that old school death tone. Should be able to find one for around $100 used.

But if you want loud, as in fill a gig with a wall of crushing brutz, find a Crate Shockwave or Tidalwave head. 300w and as scooped or djent as you like. And LOUD.

Once you go tube though, it's hard to go back to SS, the palm mutes on low tuned riffs are like heroin compared to the caffine of SS.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/VYPYR-30-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc

Melr Fjordr

Reaction score
If you can get a Vypyr 30w head, they are great for that old school death tone. Should be able to find one for around $100 used.

But if you want loud, as in fill a gig with a wall of crushing brutz, find a Crate Shockwave or Tidalwave head. 300w and as scooped or djent as you like. And LOUD.

Once you go tube though, it's hard to go back to SS, the palm mutes on low tuned riffs are like heroin compared to the caffine of SS.

Used Peavey VYPYR 30 Guitar Amp Head | Guitar Center

I've never played with tubes. But maybe one day I can get a tube head.