Ideas on how to customize an RG7321!? (Sanding vs. Autopaint vs. Vinyl)

• Thread starter mordecizzle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I recently purchased an RG7321 as my first seven and I'm digging the feel so far. HOWEVER, I cannot stand having another plain black guitar. So I'm mulling over a couple of options:

1) Sanding down to the wood sealer, or whatever.
I'm not exactly sure whether this will turn out the way I plan it, considering basswood quality is in the luck of the draw. This might be the last option I consider.

2) Getting it refinished by means of an automotive company.
Has anyone tried this? I feel like this would be a pretty sweet option considering that I find the right place/people. My main concern would be negligent damage to the body.

3 a) Vinyl wrapping over the preexisting paint.
This is sort of a wacky alternative that my friend brought to my attention. It seems that automotive vinyl wraps offer quality material and a wide variety of colors (like this store Metro Restyling - Carbon Fiber Vinyl - Camo - Woodgrain Vinyl Wrap). The only cons I can see with this option is the method of applying the vinyl and the possibility that it can end up looking tacky/shoddy.

3 b) Vinyl decals/stickers
As opposed to wrapping the entire body, I can also just place vinyl decals on the front. I feel like something as simple as a red/blue stripe could suffice. However, there is also this: Celtic Ornaments Color SM003 Wall or Car Vinyl Window Sticker Mural Decal. I feel like this design could turn out pretty badass too. I'm just not sure how LOL.

So what do you guys think? I'm sort of leaning toward the vinyl decals as of now. In addition to these possible mods, I'm dropping in a white/black CL/LF combo and hopefully getting hardware to match the color scheme I choose.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John54

How much is too much
Reaction score
i am looking at doing the vinyl route as well. true i would sand off the top of the guitar to make sure the body didnt have any grain worth saving but im not expecting anything flamed or spalted, which would be sick. i have looked a lot at fourth floor guitar for there vinyls. havent found too many other site other than auto shops that you mentioned. my plan is to stick the vinyl and burst the edge so i dont have to deal with a binding.

auto shops are the place to go though if you want a quality job though and you have little to no experience spraying. i have seen pretty good jobs done on SSO and youtube but anytime i see a friend of mine do it it comes out like shit. i got a quick quote from a local auto shop and they said $100 for one color. but it will be clean since they have experienced guys with the right equipment. also the paint and sealer is made to last longer since its made to be out in the weather.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
No offense, but your cheap indonesian guitar will not have a high quality body... don't expect it to. Its probably 3 or 4 peices as well.

1) Im assuming you mean sand it back and leave it? You will still need a clear coat of some kind or your body WILL crack in half at some point. Wood sealer looks like elmers glue until you get rid of it. Quite tacky, and youre better off leaving it black.

2) 90% of automotive companies wont touch guitars. Your concern would be to find a place that would do it, versus them damaging your guitar. They deal with fragile car parts all the time, your guitar will be fine.

3a/b) thats your call. vinyls come off and wont permanently damage the body. You sound kinda noobish to this game, this might be a good place to start. *EDIT* By the way 90% of those "auto" vinyls will disintegrate under clear coats, so dont bother...

Barring that, theres lots of goofy stuff you can do to 7321's...

img20120425155949.jpg

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Personally I would re-finish it yourself or put a veneer on it :) would be a great experience!

Reaction score
i am looking at doing the vinyl route as well. true i would sand off the top of the guitar to make sure the body didnt have any grain worth saving but im not expecting anything flamed or spalted, which would be sick. i have looked a lot at fourth floor guitar for there vinyls. havent found too many other site other than auto shops that you mentioned. my plan is to stick the vinyl and burst the edge so i dont have to deal with a binding.

auto shops are the place to go though if you want a quality job though and you have little to no experience spraying. i have seen pretty good jobs done on SSO and youtube but anytime i see a friend of mine do it it comes out like shit. i got a quick quote from a local auto shop and they said $100 for one color. but it will be clean since they have experienced guys with the right equipment. also the paint and sealer is made to last longer since its made to be out in the weather.

There are a couple of other websites that offer vinyl wraps/graphics specifically for guitars (like https://www.axewraps.com/wraps), but Fourth Floor definitely has the sickest designs! :D. If you do happen to get your body refinished at an auto shop, post some pics! I'd love to see how it turns out.

Personally I would re-finish it yourself or put a veneer on it :) would be a great experience!

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I was really considering slapping a veneer on it! I've seen some amazing work by other members on SSO in that respect. Maybe I'll try practicing on some other guitar bodies first?

Reaction score
No offense, but your cheap indonesian guitar will not have a high quality body... don't expect it to. Its probably 3 or 4 peices as well.

1) Im assuming you mean sand it back and leave it? You will still need a clear coat of some kind or your body WILL crack in half at some point. Wood sealer looks like elmers glue until you get rid of it. Quite tacky, and youre better off leaving it black.

2) 90% of automotive companies wont touch guitars. Your concern would be to find a place that would do it, versus them damaging your guitar. They deal with fragile car parts all the time, your guitar will be fine.

3a/b) thats your call. vinyls come off and wont permanently damage the body. You sound kinda noobish to this game, this might be a good place to start. *EDIT* By the way 90% of those "auto" vinyls will disintegrate under clear coats, so dont bother...

Your caveat was cute, but I had already mentioned that I was aware of the wood's quality. Moreover, yes I am quite "noobish to this game". I wouldn't have posted this thread otherwise. No worries, I enjoy my fair share of bigotry too.

Aside from that, you did provide some useful information (which I am thankful for). AND THAT GUITAR. Hollllllyyyy helll! What steps were taken to shape that red beauty, if I may ask?

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Your caveat was cute, but I had already mentioned that I was aware of the wood's quality. Moreover, yes I am quite "noobish to this game". I wouldn't have posted this thread otherwise. No worries, I enjoy my fair share of bigotry too.

Aside from that, you did provide some useful information (which I am thankful for). AND THAT GUITAR. Hollllllyyyy helll! What steps were taken to shape that red beauty, if I may ask?

Not sure ... about this post, so Ill ignore the first part lol.

I took an angle grinder, a hack saw, and lots of sandpaper to it. Lots of work, most by hand. i have a project thread around here somewhere, Im too lazy to find it lol. Its got a lot of "in betweenst" photos.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Mine was three pieces, not including the veneers, which I sanded off...
2012-05-05_13-45-21_688.jpg

')