If I get 8-string, will I still need my 7-string?

• Thread starter Arterial
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I feel I play and write differently when I play my 6s versus my 7s. It would be the same thing with 8 IMO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peteus

Reaction score
I would keep both, I primarily play my 8 more but every so often I love picking up my 7 and, my 6 gets a blast every blue moon.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
No, you won't need it. And the smart advice (financially) would probably be to get rid of it, because if you're like the average guitarist (or literally anyone on SSO) your addiction will take over and you'll keep it. And then you'll get a couple more 8s, which is really unnecessary, and keep all of them. Then you'll start ordering the same exact guitar in a different color, or with a different wood. :lol: Such is the GAS of life.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
No, you won't need it. And the smart advice (financially) would probably be to get rid of it, because if you're like the average guitarist (or literally anyone on SSO) your addiction will take over and you'll keep it. And then you'll get a couple more 8s, which is really unnecessary, and keep all of them. Then you'll start ordering the same exact guitar in a different color, or with a different wood. :lol: Such is the GAS of life.

That sounds all too familiar :lol:

Reaction score

Weird, my GAS is always for completly different types of guitars :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Weird, my GAS is always for completly different types of guitars :lol:

TBH, I'm the same way. And that's the only way my wife will let me buy anything new: I'll say, "Yeah, but I don't have a 9 string!" or "But I don't have a semihollow 8 string!" :lol:

Bouillestfu

Reaction score
When getting my first Seven I thought I wouldn't "need" my 6-stringers anymore and I was sorely mistaken. Alot of the Van Halen tapping techniques (Mean Streets, Spanish Fly) are alot easier on a 6 string.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
It depends on you, since I started playing 7's I can't play 6'ers anymore... Only you will know.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
i typed a detailed response once, and i tried to post, and said i put nothing in?
wtf?

short version:
keep it, unless your tight for cash, for me, because of the instrument, there's a wider variety of tuning ranges i can use.
the 8 narrows that flexibility, because i find after Eb (which i wouldnt even use) it's too bassy/muddy for me to use
keep it

Latest posts

')