If I like a .60 or .62 for my low B tuned to B on a 25.5 scale...

• Thread starter WhoThenNow7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
then what gauge would you recommend for tuning it to A? Have a .62 in one my guitars but I don't like it. I used a tension calculator and basically to get the same tension of a .62 for B, I'd need a .70 for A... this seems like it would just be too much, though.

I was thinking a .66.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
It's correct, it should feel right to you. Even one semitone is a big drop in tension/gauge increase. However I'd go with a 68. 66 might just cut it - why not reverse the tension calculations to see what to tune your 62 to to find out what the 66 would feel like? Even doubling the gauge of the normal A string (probably = 72?) in theory should not feel too tight as you are using that tension on the A string and probably more on the D string.
However keep the gauge as thin as possible for tonal benefit! 25.5 scale can start to struggle with clarity above 62 if you want it to sound like the rest of the strings.

Doulton

Reaction score
.064 wouldn't be too far off. It holds tension and tuning very well.

JeffKill

Reaction score
I'd go with a .068 or .070 for drop A. I have an Ibanez Iron label, also 25.5", and I wouldn't go any less than .068 for that. I had the guitar shipped to me with the .068 on it, and it was way too loose going any lower than drop A. I went to a .074 and it's pretty much perfect for drop Ab and drop G. Intonation is perfect, and it's not muddy at all.

Circle K Strings has some nice 7 string sets to choose from. Check them out if you haven't yet.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
Sorry but I should have mentioned what I use on the other 6 strings.. well, for standard tuning I'm at a mix between 9-46 or 10-52.

It's weird.. I tried using 11's when I tuned one full step down, but thought it was too tight. So I used 10-52 for tuned one step as well, and now I'm torn between keeping 10-52 for standard as well or switching to 9-46.

But that's not what this thread is about, anyway.. thanks for the suggestions. I think for tonal quality, I will try a 64. And if I absolutely can't deal with it, then 66 will be my final switch- and at that point I'll MAKE myself like it.

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
I currently use a 70 in Bb on my 26.5 but its def pretty stiff, feels alot different than a 64 on my 25.5. Id probably try a 68 at that scale length.

redstone

Reaction score
.64 / .66 drop A
.68 / .70 regular A

More might affect the sound definition.

potatohead

Reaction score
I use a 60 in B and a 68 in A, and once upon a time I did the math and they were like the same, so I would say you probably need a 70

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Holy carp to some of the thick gauges!

Be blessed with those hands/fingers, I could not!

MrPowers

Reaction score
I'm using a 68 in Ab on a 25.5 scale guitar. Previously moved up from a 64. The 64 was definitely too light, but the 68 feels about right for it. I don't necessarily like super tight strings. So if you're like me, give 66 or 68 a try. It will probably be plenty for you.

stevexc

Reaction score
then what gauge would you recommend for tuning it to A? Have a .62 in one my guitars but I don't like it. I used a tension calculator and basically to get the same tension of a .62 for B, I'd need a .70 for A... this seems like it would just be too much, though.

I was thinking a .66.

IIRC Jeff Loomis uses a 70 for Bb.

If the calculator says 70 would give you your ideal tension, I'd try the 70 even if it "seems like too much".

Latest posts

')