IF it's TOO GOOD to be true.....

• Thread starter Prog_Freak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
I've read about an untold number of beginners who have fallen prey to scams like the one I'm gonna mention.
Fairly soon you're gonna hear the term "Power Soak", read or ask about them and think about getting one sooner or later. A Quality USED power soak goes for $280.00 on eBay, yet there's exists on Amazon this miracle device which goes into the effects loop and is called a "Attenuator/power soak" for a $15 !!!! Me and my brother chipped in our change collections to buy one of these and take it apart too see what "miracle" could do that for so cheap. Well lets see a 4 /12" box by 2" arrived (getting nervous now ??), after finding the sticker which fell off, we dissected the intended victim out of morbid curiosity.
Well for $15 you get a box, 2 jacks, some wire,some solder and a "Pot" (dial for those non-tech types), HUH essentially a over simplified signal "Level" control that you can build from $7.50 worth of Radio_Shack parts and that's splurging on the good stuff !
Both of us knew exactly what we were gonna get, but hey maybe someone figured out a neat trick with Transistors or Diodes or maybe there's IS a Heat shunt/load resistor in there, gotta give them the benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise.
Just remember "You Get What You PAY FOR" if it's a Amp. or Guitar, or case, or effects pedal. Me ? I simply cleaned out my cigarette ash tray of all the change I've collected over 4-5 years since I quit smoking.
For you that $20.00 total can go to buying some Hamburgers when you're in lean times.
Anyone else heard about some scams out there ??
:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I went to a series of "management training interviews" where we were promised regional management positions for an up and coming power company. During the contract signing, I found out who their parent company was, Googled them, learned the truth and walked out on the spot.

Turns out they've been scamming people since the 90s, something about making everyone buy cases of cheap perfume and selling em in grocery store parking lots. Which was strange because in all past activity, they've always mentioned perfume. This time it was electricity. I didn't want to find out.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I was always interested what those actually consisted of haha. Thanks for info.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
It depends on the attenuator that you get. A very basic one is as the OP mentioned, but the THD Hotplates are quite a bit more complicated (you get line out as well as speaker out, EQ options, etc).

Mike

Reaction score
Vector Marketing and AdvoCare lol

')