If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
I think I've seen a similar guitar thread so I thought this would be fun.

I'd probably go with a Larry Dino 962. Those fuckers are like $8k, and I almost convinced myself to order one and was talking to Larry himself but then the fact that it was a 2 year waiting list, and I'd have to pay extra for paypal fees (default price was if I used gift which I wasn't gonna do) made me realize that imo an $8k head is like buying a PRS Private Stock or similar guitar for $10k+, definitely not the kind of money I really value any musical gear having.

jco5055

Reaction score
Yup, def the Larry Dino. Or a Wizard MC2 or MTL.

It's kind of funny like I know Wizard amps get that kind of love/reverance also but in my mind an almost $5k amp and a $8k+ is a world of difference, like I feel like I could pony up/justify spending Wizard costs haha.

I also think the Mezzabarba Trinity that just came out seems amazing, or even like a KSR Artemis or Gower Killer Kali modded amp, but a Larry is just on a whole nuther level of extravagance lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people put Wizard on a very high pedistol. Like the one person i saw that owned a Larry said the only thing that came close was a Wizard MC2. So i think that's a very high endorsement. :lol:

jco5055

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people put Wizard on a very high pedistol. Like the one person i saw that owned a Larry said the only thing that came close was a Wizard MC2. So i think that's a very high endorsement. :lol:

and a Wizard is legit about half price of a Larry damn it boggles my mind even more typing that out haha.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to really want a Larry in particular, let alone pay exorbitant amounts of money for it. I think there are a small group of crazy gear collectors that if you put something out and charge 10x the price, maybe a dozen people in the world are willing to pony up for bragging rights. They don't really even sound that good to me?

Wizard, on the other hand, definitely have their own vibe. You know what it's based on, and you know it's basically just a really good version of that sort of sound, with a bit more EQ options than the original 60s/70s amps. And the MTL definitely has a certain unique form of heaviness, not that I particularly enjoy it, but should be great for the Fortin type of guys. I don't want to pay $4-5k for an amp these days, but I'm always on the hunt for one of the MCIIs with the C transformer in the $2.5k range.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be cool to recreate some of the more ridiculous rigs I've built in modeling environments, complete with complex switching and routing schemes.

jco5055

Reaction score
I don't see any reason to really want a Larry in particular, let alone pay exorbitant amounts of money for it. I think there are a small group of crazy gear collectors that if you put something out and charge 10x the price, maybe a dozen people in the world are willing to pony up for bragging rights. They don't really even sound that good to me?

Wizard, on the other hand, definitely have their own vibe. You know what it's based on, and you know it's basically just a really good version of that sort of sound, with a bit more EQ options than the original 60s/70s amps. And the MTL definitely has a certain unique form of heaviness, not that I particularly enjoy it, but should be great for the Fortin type of guys. I don't want to pay $4-5k for an amp these days, but I'm always on the hunt for one of the MCIIs with the C transformer in the $2.5k range.

I can't even find a clip of a Wizard that makes me go "wow" though haha, sometimes I think my ears just aren't huge on the Marshall sound and then I wonder if I'm doing something wrong since for most it seems to be "the" desired sound, it would almost be like thinking Etherial guitars play well

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
idk, probably a dual recto rev c or a super coliseum mk3. or maybe an elan metalhead.

narad

Reaction score
I can't even find a clip of a Wizard that makes me go "wow" though haha, sometimes I think my ears just aren't huge on the Marshall sound and then I wonder if I'm doing something wrong since for most it seems to be "the" desired sound, it would almost be like thinking Etherial guitars play well

You mean you don't love this tone?

Just kidding. Basically any youtube clip with a type C transformer does it for me. This one sounds like it has the type C, and the recording makes it brighter than normal, but I feel I still perceive the great tone there:

My favorite type C clips were private vids direct linked from ssome place on Rig-talk, so sadly I can't find them atm.

jco5055

Reaction score
You mean you don't love this tone?

It's weird because it seems if I think "damn this is a great tone" especially for like modern metal etc it's always an Engl/Mesa/Diezel etc, but then I also love how listening to classic Eddie how "natural" his tone sounded while still being hi gain which I guess that naturalness is definitely more of a Marshall sound.

I think that's why I've been intrigued by Mezzabarba since so many people describe them as "marshall meets Soldano" which is like the perfect marriage haha.

narad

Reaction score
I think that's why I've been intrigued by Mezzabarba since so many people describe them as "marshall meets Soldano" which is like the perfect marriage haha.

Have you heard any good clips of the new ones? I liked the mzero overdrive clips I've heard, so I kind of also keep an eye out for a used one. I used to see them at sub 2.5k. But the namm clips of the new ones seemed pretty bad to me.

jco5055

Reaction score
Have you heard any good clips of the new ones? I liked the mzero overdrive clips I've heard, so I kind of also keep an eye out for a used one. I used to see them at sub 2.5k. But the namm clips of the new ones seemed pretty bad to me.

Really? I thought the Trinity clips seemed pretty good especially when considering Namm shot is like the opposite of professional studio sound. Though I did notice Marco Sfogli (who I thought sounded the best) did have a tube screamer so I'm always a little suspect why you would boost/ add effects when showing off a new amp...did you hear the Djent clip? I thought it sounded pretty good with the extended range.

jco5055

Reaction score
idk probably a diezel? I've always played peavey's (mostly 5150 variants) and I know I like that so mybe some kind of super soldano

Well Soldano is back so maybe he'll come out with a slightly more affordable SLO?

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Honestly, it's hard to say. I'm of the mindset that I'd rather have 1 guitar I really like and 50 amps to choose from than the opposite. Right now I'm REEEEEAAAAALLY gassing for a Model T, and have received an email from Ceriatone saying their clone will be available for purchase "really soon", so that's probably my #1 answer. Runners up, tough:
  • Matamp Green, Black, White, etc
  • Bogner Ecstacy
  • Bogner Uberschall
  • JCM800
  • 5150 block letter
  • Peavey Transtube Supreme (don't judge, these things are legitimately awesome)
  • SLO100
  • Trainwreck Express
  • Engl Fireball
  • Mesa petrucci
That's the top 10, but there are plenty more

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
my old dar FBM back, which is impossible, or the ultimate dream amp would be my old FBM that had really really easy to upkept

larry dino, or larry metal machine, they're not 8k new, more like 6400 or so for the 939 and 5700 for the metal machine, not saying that's cheap, and those are the base models, no NOS tubes etc etc, but you'd get the larry tone easily without the superfluous bells and/or whistles

wizard yeah that'd be cool too, although idk, seems unnecessary for if either of the above were had

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Honestly, it's hard to say. I'm of the mindset that I'd rather have 1 guitar I really like and 50 amps to choose from than the opposite. Right now I'm REEEEEAAAAALLY gassing for a Model T, and have received an email from Ceriatone saying their clone will be available for purchase "really soon", so that's probably my #1 answer. Runners up, tough:
  • Matamp Green, Black, White, etc
  • Bogner Ecstacy
  • Bogner Uberschall
  • JCM800
  • 5150 block letter
  • Peavey Transtube Supreme (don't judge, these things are legitimately awesome)
  • SLO100
  • Trainwreck Express
  • Engl Fireball
  • Mesa petrucci
That's the top 10, but there are plenty more

No REVV??? I'm with you on the list of many good ones vs. crown jewel approach.

Latest posts