If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I still think an FJA modded 6505 would be a dream amp

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just because there are a lot of options is no reason to not mod and make more options. Price may also be a factor. Modding a cheaper amp to get closer to the sound you want rather than buying an expensive amp could make sense for a lot of people. I wouldn't want to play shows with an expensive amp personally unless I was doing it on a professional level.
IE, modding a JCA100H to be more SLO esque.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Yeah if I could have a specific amp, I'd want the Snorkeler used on Alice In Chain's Facelift (Bogner modded Marshall). Barring that, I'd probably just want to be able to pick through some old non-master volume Marshalls and pic the one I liked best (and have a room to be able to turn it up to the sweet spot).

Well, I broke down and bought a ‘73 Super Lead. Sounds so damn awesome. Sorry for butchering all the riffs. Couple of times I completely forgot what I was doing. I blame the fact that it was so loud I couldn’t keep a clear head...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Oh, and please get that amp checked out so it doesn't shit the bed. Caps/resistors that's old might need replaced.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score

Sounds MUCH better to me here than the stock amp. Midrange is more aggressive and cutting, less fizzy, and the low end doesn't sound like a tub of lard.

So pre-mod we get to see that the settings are all at noon on the EQ. But we get a panned out view on the modded amp that doesn't tell us anything about the settings?? :facepalm:

FourT6and2

Reaction score
For me, it's not about money. It's about space. I just don't have enough room for more amps. I've had so many over the years: Bogner, Diezel, Fortin, Zinky, Marshall, KSR/Rhodes, Framus, Mesa, Peters, etc. They really all do sound more similar than not. And it always seems like the newest one I get is my favorite lol. Right now I'm really liking the tone/feel of the Super-Hi I just got. But I wouldn't call it my absolute dream amp. My dream amp doesn't exist. It would be a combination of sounds/features of a few of the amps I've had.

My dream amp would probably combine the Super-Hi 50's gain structure/character/feel and growl with the snarl/grind of a hot-rod Marshall, the build quality of a Diezel or KSR (some of the best built production amps out there), with the FX loop from the KSR, built into a head the size of a KSR Ares.

Not dream amps, but other amps I'd like to check out at some point:

VHT Ultralead
Larry of some sort
Wizard of some sort
I had an Uberschall years ago, but I'd like to try another one since it's been so long

Can't really think of any others. I've owned or played most of the amps out there in the high-gain camp.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
also lately I desperately wish I still had my Mesa F-50 from high school... those are hard to find now, most underrated boogie out there.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Just tried a that ESP Baritone Snakebyte has into an Orange Dual Dark 50 today and wow...

Thats my new dream amp
(Can't edit to add this so i'll just respond to my own post)

Also, Channel A surprised me. It could do "modern" metal as easily as a Recto or 6505 imho. Definitely not tight but, an unboosted recto or 6505 isn't tight either.

To me Channel A of the DD sounded like Orange's take on "SLO" style heavy amp and it just demolishes. Its a shame because there are no demo's (that I've found) that show what it can do. I wish I had the cash to throw down on it.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I still think an FJA modded 6505 would be a dream amp

It is! ;)

I bought a... wait for it... BLOCK LETTER... from Jerry with about $2000 worth of mods (literally every mod he has). I'm trying to remember but it was used by some NY hardcore band on their album... the tolex is beat but oh man it is a beast... basically an Invective. It has a gate, all sorts of boost and extra tone shaping, an extra clean channel so it is true 3 channel, upgraded tranny and choke, etc.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It is! ;)

I bought a... wait for it... BLOCK LETTER... from Jerry with about $2000 worth of mods (literally every mod he has). I'm trying to remember but it was used by some NY hardcore band on their album... the tolex is beat but oh man it is a beast... basically an Invective. It has a gate, all sorts of boost and extra tone shaping, an extra clean channel so it is true 3 channel, upgraded tranny and choke, etc.

Dude, that's the best one!! ;-) A bit curious about the upgraded tranny.

Actually one popped up in Tokyo for like $500, went out and checked it out, sounded great, but another guy was offering me a good deal on an invective for like double that, which I thought was justified given I'd know the history of the amp. Then the invective guy ghosted and the 5150 sold the same day :-/

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, that's the best one!! ;-) A bit curious about the upgraded tranny.

Actually one popped up in Tokyo for like $500, went out and checked it out, sounded great, but another guy was offering me a good deal on an invective for like double that, which I thought was justified given I'd know the history of the amp. Then the invective guy ghosted and the 5150 sold the same day :-/

Faaaaaawwk I hate that. I've been stuck choosing between two and they both sell and I'm left with nothing so many times.

$500 would be killer for a modded 5150.

Honestly the overall tone of the modded 5150 now sounds like a 5153... less fizzy, smoother, more "punch", with just a few extra tweaks like the sweepable mid shift and low cut mods plus noise gate. I still think the Fender clean is better on the 5153, but the 3rd channel clean on the Peavey is pretty good too. I just wish it was as good as my Rockmaster pre!

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Faaaaaawwk I hate that. I've been stuck choosing between two and they both sell and I'm left with nothing so many times.

$500 would be killer for a modded 5150.

Honestly the overall tone of the modded 5150 sounds like a 5153... with just a few extra tweaks like the sweepable mid shift and low cut mods plus noise gate. I still think the Fender clean is better on the 5153, but the 3rd channel clean on the Peavey is pretty good too. I just wish it was as good as my Rockmaster pre!

Yea, it corresponded right with the announcement of the mini-invective as well. Which I guess raises the question: if 5150s are essentially entirely pre-amp driven, for low volume scenarios, won't the EL84s basically never start distorting, and in that case the mini-head should be pretty identical to the 100W? Similar to the need of better transformers? I got hung up on this question and this also made me deliberate a bit from pulling the trigger.

But I got the only used VHT Ultra Lead for sale in japan, so I guess it worked out so far.