If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Pittbull ul, sig:x and Memphis. That’s all you need.
Yeah the only tone the sig:x can't nail is the UL tone. If I sat and tweaked the knobs and switches I might be able to close to the Memphis.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
There's a couple of old blueface VH4Ses floating about, so I'd track down one of those. Or something elaborate from Redstuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Pittbull ul, sig:x and Memphis. That’s all you need.

Man I really want to try out an Ultralead.

I’ve got a GP/DI which I run into a 2/50/2, and that seems like it ought to be very similar to a Pitbull CL, but that itch is always at the back of my mind, I wonder how the UL compares.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man I really want to try out an Ultralead.

I’ve got a GP/DI which I run into a 2/50/2, and that seems like it ought to be very similar to a Pitbull CL, but that itch is always at the back of my mind, I wonder how the UL compares.

If it's anything like the GP3, even with the gain mod it's not going to sound like the UL.

I've never been able to find another amp that sounds like a UL and damn did I try. Even my Kemper has a hard time really translating that one into reality. There's just something about those amps in a room.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I agree fully here^. I’ve made some cool UL profiles, but they just don’t translate the same as my actual UL in the room. I can get some of the Deliverance tones from the UL, but my D120 didn’t really do the UL tones. I’d suspect the GP/DI to be more like a stripped Deliverance type circuit. It still seems like an awesome little device, but only an UL can deliver the UL sound.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I agree fully here^. I’ve made some cool UL profiles, but they just don’t translate the same as my actual UL in the room. I can get some of the Deliverance tones from the UL, but my D120 didn’t really do the UL tones. I’d suspect the GP/DI to be more like a stripped Deliverance type circuit. It still seems like an awesome little device, but only an UL can deliver the UL sound.

I believe the GP/DI started as a deliverance preamp, and then got various parts switchable for the voicing options. It seems all Fryette preamps are kinda similar, but with some minor part changes here and there, some things made switchable on one head, but fixed on another.

Power amp indeed is probably a major factor.

Maybe one day I’ll find a UL here in the UK, but I’ve never even seen one for sale yet.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I bet a lot of the UL tone that people aren't able to duplicate is in the power section of the amp.
A couple years ago I got together with a dude and his UL and compared it to my PB classic which had KT77s at the time I think. They were really similar, the UL had a more pronounced attack, but the tonal quality was basically the same. Probably more usable gain on the UL, plus more switches and options.

jco5055

Reaction score
My dream collection
MI Amplification Revelation
Engl SE
Bognor Uberschall
Marshall Jubilee
Marshall Valvestate S80 (for sentimental reasons)
Laney AOR (again for sentimental reasons)

And

Saraceno or Mojave Dirty Boy

I just looked up the Revelation and it seems pretty cool! I had been on their site plenty of times but never saw that because you have to actually click on "amplifiers" to see it, it's not in the drop down haha.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Yeah the only tone the sig:x can't nail is the UL tone. If I sat and tweaked the knobs and switches I might be able to close to the Memphis.

I've got an Ultra Lead and 50/CL and I feel like the 50/CL is sort of a middle ground between the UL and the Deliverance/Sig:X vein. Red channel is unmistakably Pittbull and the green channel is much more open and juicy as far as gain structure. I don't bother with clean tones on that amp, so I've just got it dialed in as two different flavors of VHT high gain. The UL is pretty impossible to replicate, in my experience

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I've got an Ultra Lead and 50/CL and I feel like the 50/CL is sort of a middle ground between the UL and the Deliverance/Sig:X vein. Red channel is unmistakably Pittbull and the green channel is much more open and juicy as far as gain structure. I don't bother with clean tones on that amp, so I've just got it dialed in as two different flavors of VHT high gain. The UL is pretty impossible to replicate, in my experience
I have been GASing for a 50/CL for a while now...and comments like these aren't helping :lol:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Any of you guys who have/had UL’s know of any good (metal) clips I should listen to, to get an idea of the sound?

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
There's a 100/CL with graphic EQ up for sale local. How does the CL compare to the UL?

He switched it to KT77 tubes. It even has the old VHT nameplate. No idea where he would have gotten it because we never had a dealer here

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Is there something special about the built-in GEQ, or could an EQ in the loop do the same thing?

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Any of you guys who have/had UL’s know of any good (metal) clips I should listen to, to get an idea of the sound?
What kind of clip do you want to hear? I can record something for you. Also; EQ in the loop isn’t the same as the built in. They help, but not as responsive. Plus the EQ bands are different.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
What kind of clip do you want to hear? I can record something for you. Also; EQ in the loop isn’t the same as the built in. They help, but not as responsive. Plus the EQ bands are different.

I was just curious if there was anything out there that owners thought was a good representation of the metal rhythm tones it can achieve. I’ve heard it can be hard to capture in recordings.

Realistically it’s probably something that’s just gonna stay on the GAS list forever, since I never see them used in the UK and I don’t think Fryette make them anymore.

Latest posts